Relaxed Hair Thread

PureSilver

that is some good growth, but i can't go that long anymore at this point. i'm at 8 weeks i think. i based my scalp this morning and will probably relax tonight.

shortdub78 thank you. I was really hoping to gain more growth than i have at this point. Once i get to 10 wks post i wash my hair in 2 sections, always DC and use a very good moisturizing conditioner for my NG and detangle in the shower while i rinse that out. I also tension blow dry after applying my IC fantasia leave in every time on warm to keep the NG tamed and a bit stretched.

Paltas is also a God send as its helping to keep my NG moisturized and soft once i blow dry.

Destiny9109

I'm trying to get back in the habit of stretching my relaxers, that's when I could actually see the progress being made.

NGraceO

Texlaxed my 25 week post hair (finally!) in halves for the first time this weekend and loved it! That is now my new strategy. Hopefully I won't wait another 25 weeks to touch up

Luscious850

Texlaxed my hair today after 9 weeks. Used JFM Texture Softner. I diluted it with sunflower oil that came in the kit before I applied the relaxer but the result was still bone straight... I'm over it, lol. Hopefully I get some nice reversion after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78 thank you. I was really hoping to gain more growth than i have at this point. Once i get to 10 wks post i wash my hair in 2 sections, always DC and use a very good moisturizing conditioner for my NG and detangle in the shower while i rinse that out. I also tension blow dry after applying my IC fantasia leave in every time on warm to keep the NG tamed and a bit stretched.

Paltas is also a God send as its helping to keep my NG moisturized and soft once i blow dry.

I relaxed yesterday. I blow dried my hair using a wide toothed comb. Flat ironed, etc wrapped it up using some coconut oil and a tiny amount of ntm

PureSilver

Texlaxed my 25 week post hair (finally!) in halves for the first time this weekend and loved it! That is now my new strategy. Hopefully I won't wait another 25 weeks to touch up

I relaxed yesterday. I blow dried my hair using a wide toothed comb. Flat ironed, etc wrapped it up using some coconut oil and a tiny amount of ntm

NGraceO shortdub78 ladies which relaxers did you use?

Evolving78

NGraceO shortdub78 ladies which relaxers did you use?

i went back to using no lye. i use Optimum Amla Legend No-Mix, No-Lye Relaxer. i have used it 3 times so far and i like it. i like the fact that it is a no mix formula. it gives me the results i like. i like bone straight hair, but i still have body and movement. i use Mizani neutralizing and chelating shampoo to wash it out, and i use Motions CPR after i neutralize for about 5-10 mins. then i use a moisturizing shampoo and dc. i dc with a cap no heat for 10-15 mins. sometimes i use a color rinse, like jet black after i dc. i didn't this time.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I truly love the Hawaiian 4 in 1 but if I'm not careful it over moisturizes my strands. I have started back up on my regular protein treatments because of it.

Lissa0821

I have been a little overzealous with the Olive Oil Eco styler gel along with my brush lately and my edges have thinned out. It really didn't take much time to happen. I will just have my edges moisturized and back away from the gel.

Fotchygirl

After washing and air drying my hair twice after my relaxer I've realized that the stylist seriously under processed my hair. The NG is back with a vengeance and I am now dealing with problems that I should be dealing with at 3 months post or more. Urghh! Maybe I will have to relax sooner than my usual 5 months post. I am seriously frustrated because it's also breaking. It is also at that awkward SL length and I can't do nice buns so I'm just gonna do back to back weaves until December.

Jobwright

Question...how often do the relaxed ladies use a comb? I have been reading on here that a lot of ladies cowash frequently during the week, some more than 3 times a week. If I did that, and combed to detangle after or during each cowash, I would have a trash can full of strands. I'm just wondering how all that manipulation through washing is maintained. I assume a comb is not used each time but, please correct me if I'm wrong. My hair loves cowashing but I just cannot fathom if I am alone with the comb and the scary feeling with the amount of hair in the comb and even down the shower drain as often as every other day. So here's the question again...if you cowash very frequently during the week, do you use a comb, finger detangle, air dry and bun with a soft brush for the edges, braid and go, WHAT?
Eta: and if you do cowash or wash frequently, do you comb to the new growth or just stick to the ends? If just the ends, how do you keep your new growth from being a jungle?

Last edited:

PureSilver

i went back to using no lye. i use Optimum Amla Legend No-Mix, No-Lye Relaxer. i have used it 3 times so far and i like it. i like the fact that it is a no mix formula. it gives me the results i like. i like bone straight hair, but i still have body and movement. i use Mizani neutralizing and chelating shampoo to wash it out, and i use Motions CPR after i neutralize for about 5-10 mins. then i use a moisturizing shampoo and dc. i dc with a cap no heat for 10-15 mins. sometimes i use a color rinse, like jet black after i dc. i didn't this time.

Thank yo so much for this, i've been eying Optimum Amla Legend for my next relaxer. This will be my third time relaxing since coming back to relaxers, the first two times the stylist used DE conditioning relaxer and under processed me badly; i have straight hair then relaxed hair along every 2 inches of my hair. I need to correct that so this third relaxer i'll be self relaxing and i'll continue to for the res of my hair journey.
@shortdub78 i really want to rinse my hair jet black, what brand rinse did you use and could i do it the same day after relaxing. What are the key things i need to bear in mind?

I will be relaxing after being natural for 3 years this Friday. I enter this thread humbly. :lol:

Welcome to the relaxed side of life, how you have a great journey and you'll like it here. *SkolarStar* i too relaxed after 3 years natural going on 4 years.

Question...how often do the relaxed ladies use a comb? I have been reading on here that a lot of ladies cowash frequently during the week, some more than 3 times a week. If I did that, and combed to detangle after or during each cowash, I would have a trash can full of strands. I'm just wondering how all that manipulation through washing is maintained. I assume a comb is not used each time but, please correct me if I'm wrong. My hair loves cowashing but I just cannot fathom if I am alone with the comb and the scary feeling with the amount of hair in the comb and even down the shower drain as often as every other day. So here's the question again...if you cowash very frequently during the week, do you use a comb, finger detangle, air dry and bun with a soft brush for the edges, braid and go, WHAT?
Eta: and if you do cowash or wash frequently, do you comb to the new growth or just stick to the ends? If just the ends, how do you keep your new growth from being a jungle?

Jobwright I finger detangle slowly before washing and once i hit the shower i detangle under heavy running water while the conditioner is being rinsed out. I keep my NG moisturized with Paltas, once applied i massage it i and use my fingers to remove any knots bit by bit. If i'm consistent with this my NG never tangles also i try too DC weekly, cowashing 3 or more times per week would be too much for my fine strands and too time consuming. I only attempt that when i am fresh out of a relaxer up to 8 weeks post. Bear in mind, this is works well for my hair.

HTH

greenandchic

I have been a little overzealous with the Olive Oil Eco styler gel along with my brush lately and my edges have thinned out. It really didn't take much time to happen. I will just have my edges moisturized and back away from the gel.

I had to give up my brush and just use my hands to smooth my edges back. For me it wasn't the gel, it was the brush - even the super soft one I had.

I use a comb every time I wash but I detangle with my fingers using hot oil on my damp hair before I shampoo. This may be redundant but I detangle with oil, shampoo, condition quickly and DC after rinsing out the first conditioner. When I only cowash, I only cowash and DC after.

I then towel/air dry and set my hair. I towel dry it about 70%. My hair is set in two bantu knots in the back until my hair is fully dried. I use a leave in, oil and pomade. I use Ecostyler to smooth the NG (just on the part and edges) and use a satin scarf.

This eliminates breakage and keeps my NG soft. I have to comb the NG or else my hair would be tangled and the shed hairs will get caught up in that area.

Going on 13 weeks post.

NGraceO

Question...how often do the relaxed ladies use a comb? I have been reading on here that a lot of ladies cowash frequently during the week, some more than 3 times a week. If I did that, and combed to detangle after or during each cowash, I would have a trash can full of strands. I'm just wondering how all that manipulation through washing is maintained. I assume a comb is not used each time but, please correct me if I'm wrong. My hair loves cowashing but I just cannot fathom if I am alone with the comb and the scary feeling with the amount of hair in the comb and even down the shower drain as often as every other day. So here's the question again...if you cowash very frequently during the week, do you use a comb, finger detangle, air dry and bun with a soft brush for the edges, braid and go, WHAT? Eta: and if you do cowash or wash frequently, do you comb to the new growth or just stick to the ends? If just the ends, how do you keep your new growth from being a jungle?

I basically never use a comb. Unless my hair is straight, which is like once a year. Even then, I use it very sparingly.

*SkolarStar*

I started a thread on this. I just want to post it in here as well.

I'm going back to relaxed hair in 24 hours after being natural for 3 years. I've been searching for relaxed hair regimens so I can see if I can still use the same techniques as before but I can't find any updated ones. So here is my own. I know that everyone's hair acts differently, but some things are universal. Please let me know if I should stick with it or change something. TIA. :)

Relaxer day: done at the shop. Make sure the stylist:
-Uses aphogee 2 minute before neutralizer for 3 minutes
-Neutralizes for minimum of 5 min
-If hair is breaking when I get home, neutralize again

Wash day:
-Prepoo with random oil mix (wheatgerm, jojoba, vitamin e, tea tree, rosemary, eucalyptus, and maybe some other stuff I find) under the dryer for 20 min
-Wash with Trader Joe's nourish spa shampoo
-Protein condition with Aphogee 2 min for 5 min
-Moisture condition with Joico moisture balm or AOHSR under dryer for 30 min
-Roux porosity control after rince for 30 seconds and rince out with cool water
-Roller set (I don't know how doable this will be since I know that I need to cut my hair) using magnetic rollers and setting with ____lottabody? Need HELP here_____
-Sit under the dryer until completely dry

Day to day:
-I REALLY NEED HELP FINDING A MOISTURIZER and knowing how to apply it without overdoing it
-Massage JBCO on edges and nape every other day (my nape is my biggest challenge. Has been since birth and all of my sisters have the same issue.)
-Sleep with satin rollers and bonnet
-Vitamins: women's one a day, bamboo, drink lots of water, __HELP__

How is this regimen? Should I change anything such as products, times, etc.? Please help me out.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
^^^ I saw your thread. Honestly my regimen is not complicated.

I don't add protein before or after rinsing my relaxer. I usually wait until my next wash day.

As far as finding a moisturizer for your hair, it is going to be trial and error. You can start with Elasta QP Mango & Olive Oil, Hawaiian 4 in 1 or even Olive Oil moisturizer in the green bottle.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Tried no combing, failed miserably, moved on and never looked back Jobwright.

Destiny9109

I use a comb every time I wash, which is only once a week with shampoo. I'm probably no help lol.

divachyk

*SkolarStar* I don't recall my natural days but I would treat my natural hair just like my relaxed hair until I could determine what my natural hair did/didn't like. I use handmade products targeted for naturals so why not use the same products your natural hair loved on your relaxed hair. If your relaxed hair dislikes it, then and only then, switch things up. Your salon day steps sound appropriate. I need protein on relaxer day or my hair breaks horribly.

My regi is (1x weekly):
Prepoo
Cleanse
Condition
Style

Moisturize / Seal daily. I'm using Annabelle's Perfect Blends Hair Creme as my moisturizer. Protein treat as needed (def not weekly) because I have low porosity, protein sensitive hair.

divachyk

*SkolarStar* I don't recall my natural days but I would treat my natural hair just like my relaxed hair until I could determine what my natural hair did/didn't like. I use handmade products targeted for naturals so why not use the same products your natural hair loved on your relaxed hair. If your relaxed hair dislikes it, then and only then, switch things up. Your salon day steps sound appropriate. I need protein on relaxer day or my hair breaks horribly.

My regi is (1x weekly):
Prepoo
Cleanse
Condition
Style

Moisturize / Seal daily. I'm using Annabelle's Perfect Blends Hair Creme as my moisturizer. Protein treat as needed (def not weekly) because I have low porosity, protein sensitive hair.

Too lazy to edit so I'm quoting myself to add more info...
I use Pureology 21 benefits. I have pics upon pics of my roller/flexi sets on my blog. They have bounce & sheen. Lotta body can deliver crunchy dryness if you're not careful.

I say take this slow. Don't incorporate new products or steps in one big swoop. Make changes gradually. Basically use the same healthy hair practices for your relaxed hair as your natural hair. Contrary to popular belief, the rules of engagement really are the same for both types of hair with some small exceptions.

sunnieb

Jobwright I comb daily with a wide toothed comb. Also use fine toothed comb to lightly smooth my edges for buns and ponytails.

Haven't brushed in 5 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

divachyk

Jobwright, to take it one step further and clarify, I comb my hair throughout the week....not just wash day. That no combing thing is not good for everyone....I'm CEO of need to comb my hurrr club. Let me save you some strands and say this -- don't you dare feel the need to keep pace with the no combers. I applaud their skill and ability but it ain't going down like that at my residence. I need a comb -- please and thank you. I lightly and gently comb my hair every day or every other day. I deeply comb on wash day, before and after my regi.

pattyr5

I am newly natural after many many years of being relaxed. But I wanted to come in here and show some love after a long day of reading hateful remarks in some Natural Facebook groups, about relaxed ladies having self hatred. I don't feel that way at all and I just wanted to say that you are all my sisters regardless of how you wear your hair and you will always be respected by me.

Fotchygirl

I am newly natural after many many years of being relaxed. But I wanted to come in here and show some love after a long day of reading hateful remarks in some Natural Facebook groups, about relaxed ladies having self hatred. I don't feel that way at all and I just wanted to say that you are all my sisters regardless of how you wear your hair and you will always be respected by me.
That self hatred thing always makes me laugh since they also straighten their hair for "special occasions" and wear make-up everyday. Just live and let live.

divachyk

Hey sis...we love you for that :kiss: pattyr5

Jobwright

So, I got into a hair slump but, I'm coming out! Went back to my tried and true regimen and I feel sooooo much better. Can I say I LOVE SHEA MOISTURE YUCCA AND BOABAB shampoo. I almost don't even want to condition after because it leaves my hair feeling so super soft and silky. Black tea and Rooibos tea do wonders for my hair under Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose condish. And Vatika oil, my dear Vatika oil, I shalt not ever run out of you again. Using Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in under Vatika oil makes any tangle disappear. At 8 weeks post and I think I may make it to 12!!! The regimen is long but IT WORKS!!! Air drying now. I wasn't sure what thread to post this in because so many different ones have contributed to me figuring things out this far. I just hope these happy hair feelings last.