Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

silentdove13

What is your current length? - almost shoulder length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? - April 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? natural

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? - twist, dc once a week, castor oil, no heat

What is your ultimate goal length? - APL by November 2012 and more in 2013 after I reach my 2012 milestones

starting pic in sig

MaraWithLove

What is your current length? - NL (back), nearly chin length (sides), brushing bridge of nose (front)

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? - October 31, 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Natural

What is your plan on obtaining shoulder length? - No heat, M&S regularly, hot oil treatments, regular exercise (belly dance), a smoothie a day (and healthy eating in general), gentle care

What is your ultimate goal length? Waist! XD

Shampoo and Co-wash 1x week (alternating), DC 1x a week, full henna 1x every 2 months with cassia conditioning treatments in between, Ayurvedic tea rinse 1x a week, M&S every other day, ghe 5 nights a week, hot oil massage 2x a week (on wash day and tea rinse day).

ETA: starting pics

Random thought: Is it realistic to say it takes longer for someone with a long neck to reach shoulder length than someone with an average/shorter neck? This just occurred to me as I do have a long neck. >.<

Attachments

• 2012-01-01 00.42.22.jpg
    2012-01-01 00.42.22.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-01-02 12.40.59.jpg
    2012-01-02 12.40.59.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    2012-01-02 13.53.16.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-01-02 13.53.43.jpg
    2012-01-02 13.53.43.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Niknak20

OndoGirl's I love your twist..it looks so neat .... I need to learn how to do that...
Niknak20 How long did that twist out last you?

I took it out Saturday and it lasted til Sunday. It should have lasted longer but I slept w/a bonnet. Because I had single braids put in Sunday. I'm still getting them in. I'll post when I'm done.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year!

It's my first challenge - to make it to shoulder length.

I had to do some trimming along my sides as they tend to thin out. I also have a few areas of breakage I'd like to impove. All in all, I think I'm having a decent start. I plan to photograph my hair each month to compare.

My problem areas are my thin sides, my weak nape, and some breakage along the front of my hairline. Argh!

I'm also hoping to grow out these layers!!

Happy growing everyone. :yep:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

itismehmmkay

Soooooooo....I cut my hair again *blink-blink*

But at least the breakage I was having in my crown and in the back are evened out for the most part. So I truly do have a starting cut that's ready to go. The crown is still pretty full. So. Here we go. No more cutting :)

bones

I would love to join if its not too late :)

What is your current length? Neck Length, but I been really scissor happy to my relaxed ends.
What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? October 2012, but of course im secretly wishing I'll get there sooner :grin:

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? I'm transitioning at the moment. I'm at 10 months, and I'll most likely be cutting the rest of the permed hair in 2 months!

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Manipulate my hair less, which is becoming really hard between work. I would like to keep my hair well moisturize, but that's an issue too in this heat. I just need to work on a better routine :p

What is your ultimate goal length?
My ulitmate goal length is BSB. I never had more hair than that, heck I barely got to APL (relaxed).

I'll be back with pics next time!

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
MaraWithLove Yup, I too suffer from "long neck'ed" syndrome, lmao. But nah, I'm built like a graceful ballet dancer and indeed, it is taking me much longer to reach SL/APL than our short necked/no necked counterparts. :grin:

MaraWithLove

Evallusion Haha "long-neck'ed syndrome" that was hilarious! :lachen: My brothers used to call me "Giraffe." Yes, we are both graceful long-neck bearers! I'm cheering us on through the journey; I can't wait to get there! :)

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
What is your current length? Somewhere between ear and neck, it varies depending on the area.

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? June 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Natural

What are your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Braiding my natural hair for atleast 3-4 weeks, deep conditioning with hemp seed oil and steam weekly, cowashing and sealing atleast 5-6 days a week, castor oil and apricot oil every other day on the scalp

What is your ultimate goal length? BSB!!

Last edited:

PoisedNPolished

Yea! So glad I can join!

What is your current length? - neck length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? - Dec 31 2012:look:

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? - relaxed with fine strands

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? - protective styles, scalp massages, being CONSISTENT, dusting every 8-12 weeks (every relaxer)

What is your ultimate goal length? - bra strap!

maybe I need to trim the front a little more. Last weekend I cut away quite a bit it needed it. What do you all think?

To cut or not to cut?

Close Up

I really want to hit shoulder length. Once I hit that milestone :drunk:

Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
My hair is now loose and I'm not liking how my roots are woofing--I'm 11 weeks post relaxer. I'm probably gonna go back into a protective style this weekend. When I do, I'll post pics.

MaraWithLove

I'm currently twisting my hair, I'm sticking to the twist/braid/bun challenge which runs through the end of March. I'm so used to having my hair out and this is my first PS in a while, so this is a change up for me.

Nylund

Air-drying my hair while it's loose for the first time I can remember - and it feels great! I pre-pooed with aloe vera juice and coconut oil, washed with Wen Six Thirteen, deep conditioned with Wen Re-Moist, moisturized with Wen Fig Styling Creme, and sealed my hair with coconut oil. I then tied a scarf around the perimeter of my head. I've been drying for about an hour and my all my hair feels so soft. I was really worried about crunchy ends. It won't dry straight because my relaxer is under-processed (texlaxed), but I think I'll still be happy :) Slowly, but surely, working toward my goal of using less heat. Hope all you ladies are doing well this new year.

LaidBak

What is your current length? NL

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? Not sure. It will happen when it happens.

Are you relaxed? yes

What is your ultimate goal length? Below shoulder blade. Maybe BSL

I'm going to be trimming a lot this year to even up from some unwanted layers. So its going to take me longer to truly get to SL (not just my nape). My definition of "full SL" is when my sides get there as well. I'm using Ovation, topical MSM, and Viviscal to increase my growth rate. I'm semi-consistent with them and I am seeing results.

Attachments

• 2011 Dec -2.jpg
    2011 Dec -2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 29

jcdlox

Any ladies that a NL find good protective styles? I am mid NL with slight layers and a broken nape so ponytails and buns don't really work. Any ideas?

MaraWithLove

Any ladies that a NL find good protective styles? I am mid NL with slight layers and a broken nape so ponytails and buns don't really work. Any ideas?

YAY, someone else who is NL and has layers (my shortest length is a little beyond ear length)! XD I'm keeping my hair twisted for the winter. When I wanna wear my twists out and show my length I stretch them with a gentle banding method after wetting them. Helps cut down on the shrinkage. But during this time, since it's supposed to be cold out (and therefore I wear hats) I don't worry about the length showing so I just m&s and keep it going. :grin:

Mmm, something really simple is what my sister does. She does a french braid/two french braids and pins hair up with cute pins.

HTH

LaidBak

LaidBak,

That french twist is really cute! I've never thought of that for a ps.

Yep. The ends are tucked in, and you don't need heat if you wrap your hair properly at night (to keep the front smooth). Or you can add a curl or two to the front. Layers (which I have as well) don't matter because its all slicked back. You can add pretty hair decorations to the back or wear a head band. Its also totally appropriate for work.

jcdlox

I've tried phony ponies before, I'd probably do that before a weave or wig, I like to be able to get to my hair to condition it regularly.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm committed to to making Full SL by July. The only way I think I can pull it off is to stay in a protective style....in other words, I'm back in braids!

Attachments

• IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 37

QUEENJAMES231

this wash day I washed with did a protein treatment/acv rinse/ then TE Mud Wash.

For the protein treatment i used an egg,2 tbls of coconut oil and about half the can of coconut milk. I loved results. I will post pics later it's not letting me use the attachment feature right now :sad:

I'm rocking two strand twists for the rest of the week.

PoisedNPolished

Anyone with NL relaxed hair ever roller set or can point me in the direction of a previous thread or youtube clip. I'm having no luck so far.