Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

30something

Added more names to the list... If you don't see your name please PM

Checking in.... My longest layer seems to actually touch my shoulders now which is great b/c I know my hair is growing.. but my goal is get all layers to shoulder length and that might take a few months. I'm going to try to start the year off with a month of absolute no heat.... Wish me luck :look:....

Ann0804

What is your current length? Neck Length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? August 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Natural

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? reducing the amount of heat applied to my hair, taking vitamins (msm, multi.). Using MTG and castor oil, Keeping my hair moisturized, not over shampooing my hair. Using more homemade natural products, and not running my hands through it all the time.

What is your ultimate goal length? BSL

Picture listed in my album.

Last edited:

auntybe

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? December 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Natural

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Crown & Glory method. Vitamins and wearing wigs.

What is your ultimate goal length? WL

will post a pic later

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DROID2 GLOBAL

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Checking in... how are you ladies doing? Im doing good I just dont know what on earth to do to my hair. I wash it on my regular wash day & co-wash on my reg day to do that but I have no clue what to do to it. I tried twist out & still cant get it to look right. I might just get it braided in a ps and keep it that way for a while.

xu93texas

I'm checking in ladies. I hope everyone had a Blessed Christmas!

I'm still trying to sort out a regimen for 2012. I'm also looking for someone to cornrow my hair to wear under my wigs. I'm thinking about wearing cornrows for about 3 weeks, then wearing my hair out for 1 week in a bantu knot out or rollerset, then starting all over again. I really don't want to be bothered with my hair. Maybe it'll grow faster that way.:ohwell:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm still in my cornrows. I'm pretty much keeping it really simple and oiling my scalp every other week. I need to work on tying my hair down at night. I'm hoping to make Full SL by August.

How is everyone doing? It would be nice if this thread were more ACTIVE!!

Niknak20

I've been doing pretty good w/ keeping my hair moisturized. I'm trying to stick w/my current reggie. I'm roller setting my hair right now and then saran wrapping. I'm hoping to use this to help me transition.

Nylund

Checking in... how are you ladies doing? Im doing good I just dont know what on earth to do to my hair. I wash it on my regular wash day & co-wash on my reg day to do that but I have no clue what to do to it. I tried twist out & still cant get it to look right. I might just get it braided in a ps and keep it that way for a while.

This is me too! I tried to do a twist-out last week to avoid using heat, but I looked a hot mess. So I started over and made some really pretty curls with my trusty flat iron (must work on that dependency.) I watched a few You Tube videos on twist-outs, and wasn't too amazed with how they came out on the shorter haired ladies.

I know we can get fab twist-outs. It's a matter of trial-and-error. Going to try again in a few days. I wish you luck with yours :) If mine doesn't come out busted, I'll post a pic.

My hair's doing well otherwise. It's tough not to look in the mirror daily to see if it grew a millimeter from the day before. I'm becoming a bit obsessed - I had my first hair dream last night! Hope everyone's hair is doing well :)

OndoGirl

Hi everyone!!! I am excited to join this challenge and get to know others with similar hair goals.

What is your current length?
Five and a half inches. Ear length, TWA

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length?
December 31, 2012. This is 3 months shy of my 2 year natural anniversary.

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other?
I am a 4b natural - around 9 months in as of today

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length?
I don't know..I will probably keep in 2 strand twists most of the time. As it gets longer I may change my strategy.

What is your ultimate goal length?
I don't really know...as long as it will get without becoming a hassle, I guess.

Please post a starting pictures (optional) by Jan 1.
Starting pic attached.

Attachments

• IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

30something

This is me too! I tried to do a twist-out last week to avoid using heat, but I looked a hot mess. So I started over and made some really pretty curls with my trusty flat iron (must work on that dependency.) I watched a few You Tube videos on twist-outs, and wasn't too amazed with how they came out on the shorter haired ladies.

I know we can get fab twist-outs. It's a matter of trial-and-error. Going to try again in a few days. I wish you luck with yours :) If mine doesn't come out busted, I'll post a pic.

My hair's doing well otherwise. It's tough not to look in the mirror daily to see if it grew a millimeter from the day before. I'm becoming a bit obsessed - I had my first hair dream last night! Hope everyone's hair is doing well :)

My twist usually looks busted, I agree there has to be a way we can get good twist outs. Next time I do my twist out I'm going to use naptural85 Ultra Defined Twist Out tutorial.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSU7qTjAis
Maybe if mine looks half way decent I'll post it (it probably won't)

Danewshe

To join please thank the original post.

What is your current length? 5-6 inches. Neck length/barely shoulder length in nape area. Will need to cut about 0.5-1 inch off, as I have damaged ends.

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? May 25th

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Natural 4b, bc'd 29/1/11, last relaxer 25/8/10 so 16 months natural.

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Braids as protective style, shampoo & condition every 2 weeks. DC every 6 weeks(or when needed). Low manipulation. Biotin, MSM, HSN vitamins.

What is your ultimate goal length? Mid back

Please post a starting pictures (optional) by Jan 1.
Will post one v.soon

Last edited:

Niknak20

Today I'm going to work in flat twist and taking them out Sunday or Monday and getting braids in. I'm liking this Protective styles. Low maintenance and easy. This is probably my first time since childhood rocking braids or twists outside my house. I tied a Coach scarf around it to jazz it up and have big hoops cuz I'm a lil self conscious about it. But I'm trying to go by my sister's mantra "if they don't like it F em" lol

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Niknak20 I like the twists. I think it is convenient & are you going to where a twist out once you decide to take twist down before you get the braids?

Mallysmommy thats some good growth/retention from Nov-Dec girl!

Nylund

Today I'm going to work in flat twist and taking them out Sunday or Monday and getting braids in. I'm liking this Protective styles. Low maintenance and easy. This is probably my first time since childhood rocking braids or twists outside my house. I tied a Coach scarf around it to jazz it up and have big hoops cuz I'm a lil self conscious about it. But I'm trying to go by my sister's mantra "if they don't like it F em" lol

Your twists look beautiful! I wish I had skills like that.

My twist-out yesterday was a big fail. But on a positive note, I learned that my hair loves Aveda Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair and coconut oil. It feels so soft, and not greasy at all. And I salvaged my twist-out into a cute style just like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ulovemegz?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase#p/u/13/0bG0g8Cllm0

Niknak20

Your twists look beautiful! I wish I had skills like that.

My twist-out yesterday was a big fail. But on a positive note, I learned that my hair loves Aveda Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair and coconut oil. It feels so soft, and not greasy at all. And I salvaged my twist-out into a cute style just like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ulovemegz?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase#p/u/13/0bG0g8Cllm0

Aww thank you! Lol I wish I had skills like that too. My cousin did it. I'm going to watch that video and see if I can do it. Really? About Aveda, didn't know. I'll try it out. Thx for the tip.

Nylund

Aww thank you! Lol I wish I had skills like that too. My cousin did it. I'm going to watch that video and see if I can do it. Really? About Aveda, didn't know. I'll try it out. Thx for the tip.

Niknak20
I starting using the Aveda as my daily moisturizer in place of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus conditioner. I started having small, 1/8-1/4 pieces of broken hair when I just touched my hair. I got a sample of the Aveda from a lady at work 2 weeks ago and my breakage stopped asap. I like it because it's so light. It's great to use it now daily with shorter hair, but I don't know how economical it'll be once my hair gets longer. It costs $24 for 3.4oz.

If your twists look that great, I'm sure your twist-out will look gorgeous!

xu93texas

Update: I'm no longer transitioning. I did relax today after a 15 wk stretch. I think it came out nice. It sure is something to grow out a bob hair cut. I'm hoping to make SL in 6 months.

Last edited:

TeeMartini

I would LOVE to join this challenge... I really need some motivation and I think this would help... I've been a lurker for sometime and I see how supportive of each other you all are. I would also like to say hello and introduce myself, as I haven't formally done that

What is your current length? in between ear and neck I would say

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? July 2012, just in time for my birthday.

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? I am relaxed all the way.

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? A very simple regimen which includes dc'ing once a week, and wiggin it 98% of the time.

What is your ultimate goal length? MBL

Please post a starting pictures (optional) by Jan 1. I will on January 2nd wash day.

Happy growing everyone!!!

ladyscorpian14

What is your current length? in between ear and neck

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? may 20, 2011 ( 1 year anniversary)

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC) natural

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? wash weekely , rollerset weekely, mtg

Niknak20

Niknak20
I starting using the Aveda as my daily moisturizer in place of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus conditioner. I started having small, 1/8-1/4 pieces of broken hair when I just touched my hair. I got a sample of the Aveda from a lady at work 2 weeks ago and my breakage stopped asap. I like it because it's so light. It's great to use it now daily with shorter hair, but I don't know how economical it'll be once my hair gets longer. It costs $24 for 3.4oz.

If your twists look that great, I'm sure your twist-out will look gorgeous!

Thx so much for the tip. I have breakage now. So I will def look into getting some Aveda. I really liked how my hair came out:

Seamonster

Hi I just Chopped so I am neck length again, seeking to be full shoulder length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? March or April, but I am hiding my hair until June

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Hiding my hair, no heat in the crown and glory technique

What is your ultimate goal length?
Fairy tale length

kittenz

I want to join...

What is your current length? between SL and APL but I will BC soon.
BCed on November 25th - Ear/Neck Length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? June 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Transitioning
Natural
What are your plans on obtaining shoulder length? PSing and wetting my natural hair often.

The floor :grin:

Please post a starting pictures (optional) by Jan 1. - Will do.
Done
Posting my starting pictures and updating a few of my answers. Happy NY everyone!!
IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

Last edited: