Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Coconut

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golden_goddess

I am trying to get back into pre-pooing. I used to use wheat germ mixed with olive oil (1:1). Which worked really well. I already have hemp seed and coconut oil, and am trying not to purchase anything new. So which one do you think would work best on dry, brittle, protein sensitive texlaxed hair?

darlingdiva

I'd opt for hempseed oil because coconut oil prevents protein loss, and it may produce a hard feeling on your hair.

Hempseed oil has always worked well for me when I'm battling dry and brittle hair.

Remember, a little goes a long way with hempseed oil because it has a medium-heavy consistency.

Seamonster

If you texlax I would think that you would suffer protein loss and need protein, so I am a bit confused by the protein sensitivity. Do you already use a lot of protein?

Hemp is sure to be the choice for protein sensitive.

golden_goddess

Seamonster
My hair is not a big fan of protein. The only time I really needed protein was when I had highlights. Although my hair actually likes keratin, but not other proteins.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using LHCF

LilMissRed

good question OP.. I'm not sensitive to protein but I too have both oils and am wondering which is better for pre pooing and oil rinses

#stalking/subbing for info

InBloom

In my new-growth
I like them both depending on what I want for my hair.

Coconut pre-poo gives me really soft hair afterwards. Hempseed oil is ceramide rich (strength), gives me some softness and really nice shine.

Can't you try them both?

lamaria211

Coconut oil is protein free so even if your protein sensitive its still OK to use. I'd mix them so you can get the benefits of both. Or do a search or Google to find the best oil for your hair needs. Hth

golden_goddess

I'm looking to reduce frizz, retain more moisture, and get soft, SHINY hair.

I've thought about mixing them together, but wondered what actual benefits you guys have received from each. To see which one would be more beneficial for me, or if it would actually be best to mix them.

Onhergrind09
What differences/improvements have you noticed from using the mixture?

darlingdiva

I've thought about mixing them together, but wondered what actual benefits you guys have received from each. To see which one would be more beneficial for me, or if it would actually be best to mix them.

Onhergrind09

Frizz reduction: I'd go with hempseed oil.

Retain more moisture: I'd go with hempseed oil.

Soft, SHINY hair: Both hempseed oil and coconut oil can work for this, but since you emphasized "SHINY", I'd go with coconut oil.

darlingdiva

good question OP.. I'm not sensitive to protein but I too have both oils and am wondering which is better for pre pooing and oil rinses

#stalking/subbing for info

Both of them would be great for pre-pooing because of their great properties. When I dry DC with AO GPB, I occasionally apply hempseed oil on top of the conditioner because it gives great shine, and it makes my hair feel good.

I'd recommend coconut oil for oil rinses because it is lighter than hempseed oil, and I think it's good to use an oil with a somewhat light consistency for oil rinses.

faithVA

Onhergrind09

I would recommend first putting one oil on the left side and the other on the right side to see if your hair likes both oils. If so then you can mix them together. A lot of heads don't like coconut oil. Coconut oil may not be a protein but it binds to the protein in your hair which can prevent your hair from absorbing the water it needs. For some hair that is great for others it can be detrimental and make the hair drier and more brittle.

I wouldn't overthink it too much. Oils need to be tried out on your own hair to see how your hair likes it. The same oil that can make one head of hair feel soft and moisturized will cause another head of hair to feel dry, brittle and break off.

Onhergrind09

golden_goddess, sorry for the delay, my mentions only work when they feel like it, but to answer your question I've always loved EVCO but I did notice that it could contribute to my hair having a stiffer feeling and in the winter it hardens up which can be a pain. So someone recommended that I use hemp seed oil which had similar properties and remained liquid year long so I was using that exclusively for a while, but my hair did thrive using EVCO, so I decided to get the best of both world and use both at once, I've been doing that for 6 months and I'm in love. I agree with faithVA, you could do a trial one time do one oil per side, the next time try a mixture on one side and one oil on the other side, until you've done every combination, pretty much trial and error to figure out what you like best. I hope that as helpful!

sirde4

I like both oils, very effective and efficient.

p.s. check out It's Christmas Time Again 3+ONE on utube

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I am trying to get back into pre-pooing. I used to use wheat germ mixed with olive oil (1:1). Which worked really well. I already have hemp seed and coconut oil, and am trying not to purchase anything new. So which one do you think would work best on dry, brittle, protein sensitive texlaxed hair?

golden_goddess, I use both. I slather evco on my hair 24 hours before wash day because it helps prevent hygral fatigue. On wash day, I mix in hemp along with other oils -- evoo and avocado to name a few --with conditioner and let it sit before shampooing.

golden_goddess

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I think I'm going to try the half & half technique and see which one my hair prefers.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using LHCF

DesignerCurls

Frizz reduction: I'd go with hempseed oil.

Retain more moisture: I'd go with hempseed oil.

Soft, SHINY hair: Both hempseed oil and coconut oil can work for this, but since you emphasized "SHINY", I'd go with coconut oil.

You use hempseed oil and coconut oil for the same reasons. But hempseed oil does contain protein.

ajargon02

I do a combo of both. Spritz your hair with water then put a 50/50 mix of coconut & hemp oil. Both help with decreased protein loss in the strands over time:yep:

kimpaur

You use hempseed oil and coconut oil for the same reasons. But hempseed oil does contain protein.

Hmm, from what I've read in one of the ceramide threads, it acts like a mild protein, but doesn't actually contain it. Proteins and ceramides are two different things. I think one lady even said she's protein sensitive but her hair loves the ceramide oils like wheatgerm and hempseed.

Solila

I love my coconut oil, but after a month on my coconut oil challenge (personal challenge), I just can't do it any more! My hair is much too dry. I did the combo with hempseed but still dry as heck. So....I'm now switching over to hempseed.

EnExitStageLeft

#TeamHempseed!

I love it because it smooths my cuticle like nothing else, its gives me a wonderful shine, and its helps me retain my moisture alot better.

I really loved coconut oil, until winter hit about 2 years ago and my hair felt like sheet rock :ohwell:. I knew then that I couldn't use it year round and that pretty much ruined it as my staple oil.

JosieLynn

has anyone heard of or experienced an allergic reaction to coconut oil?? I tried it early on in my hair journey but I started experiencing awful itchy scalp and when I cut the coconut oil out of my regimen i never had that problem again. I really did like how my hair felt but it didn't make sense for me to keep using it because i would eventually scratch all my hair out from the scalp!:nono::nono::nono::nono: