The hype over WEN.

cherrynicole

My mom is relaxed and Wen made her hair super soft and grew it like weeds! For some reason I had an allergic reaction to it so I cant use it...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

outspokenwallflower

I started reading up all the stories on the severe hair loss from WEN and it scared me. My sis and I both use WEN, and I asked if she had any issues with it and said no. Neither have I (at least none that I've seen) and I started consistently using WEN when the pumpkin formula debuted. However, either my sis and I are having no adverse reactions or perhaps we're using it differently than some of the people who have had side effects; I for one have NEVER actually used JUST WEN...I always shampoo with a reg. poo first then use WEN. I could never conceive a conditioner completely washing my hair, and since I use a lot of product over the week, I always feel I need a reg. shampoo to clean all the gunk out first. My sister said only a few times did she ever just use WEN on a wash day but typically, she would use it in conjunction with another shampoo as well.

I just put that out there because one of the hair loss victims stated that they thought the build up from WEN was trapping the sebum and clogging hair follicles, etc (i dont remember word for word) and that they shouldve used a reg. shampoo to exfoliate the scalp once in awhile. I don't know if this is true or a logical explaination to some of the side effects aside from allergic reactions, but I've always used it as sort of a rinse out or deep conditioner. I've been kinda scared to touch mine lately, though, lol.

StarScream35

I wonder what ingredient is causing the adverse reaction? Could it be the menthol?

Also to all the ladies who are apprehensive about posting your negative experiences please please please don't be afraid. I can understand how you feel because unfortunately as wonderful as LHCF is, sometimes you can get trampled on but please just learn to ignore. I want to hear the good, bad and the ugly as well.

StarScream35

I started reading up all the stories on the severe hair loss from WEN and it scared me. My sis and I both use WEN, and I asked if she had any issues with it and said no. Neither have I (at least none that I've seen) and I started consistently using WEN when the pumpkin formula debuted. However, either my sis and I are having no adverse reactions or perhaps we're using it differently than some of the people who have had side effects; I for one have NEVER actually used JUST WEN...I always shampoo with a reg. poo first then use WEN. I could never conceive a conditioner completely washing my hair, and since I use a lot of product over the week, I always feel I need a reg. shampoo to clean all the gunk out first. My sister said only a few times did she ever just use WEN on a wash day but typically, she would use it in conjunction with another shampoo as well.

I just put that out there because one of the hair loss victims stated that they thought the build up from WEN was trapping the sebum and clogging hair follicles, etc (i dont remember word for word) and that they shouldve used a reg. shampoo to exfoliate the scalp once in awhile. I don't know if this is true or a logical explaination to some of the side effects aside from allergic reactions, but I've always used it as sort of a rinse out or deep conditioner. I've been kinda scared to touch mine lately, though, lol.

I read a few posts on the net stating something similar as well. I'm gonna have to go back and try to find those links but there were a few people who felt that Wen was really doing something to their scalp. One person said she stopped scrubbing her scalp and just put it on her hair and things went from bad to good. I really do wanna try Wen but right now I'm kinda scared. Thanks for your post!

shenitab

I think the Fig is most moisturizing. I thin the sweet almond mint and vanilla mint are good if you have scalp issues. Mine itches a lot -especially in the winter. I like the lavendar scent the best though - just like lavendar.
I usually use it alone. I don't use regular shampoo too much. Usually only when taking down braids or twists or when there is a lot of product buildup on the hair. Most times I will leave a tad in, sometimes I rinse it all the way out. I have not tried the styling products and it is not the only product that I use.

JJamiah

WEN is the reason I'm able to stretch so long. Im now 18 weeks. Even my beautician notice a difference in my hair. I like Fig and recently received the 613. I must say I like the 613 more. The smell is heavenly and the consistency of the conditioner is much thicker. Also I don't need as many pumps as I use with the Fig. Nevertheless I will have these two in heavy rotation. I used the ginger pumpkin and Im one of the few, that didn't care for it.

I am not a fan of Ginger Pumpkin alone. BUT..... I mixed it with fig about half and half and wow, my hair is very soft :)

JJamiah

I use the Hair One Olive Oil and NEVER had issues what so ever!
I used the SAM Wen no issues really either. Now I used the fig and I felt I got a slight increase in shedding which has subsided. I use the GP WEN mixed with Fig because I don't really care for it alone and my hair is super soft.

I LOVE WEN! I LOVE HAIR ONE!

If your allergic to it; please stop this isn't worth any issues that it may cause to you.

madamdot

I got some recently and I LOVE it. It definitely made my hair soft and I actually thought long and hard about extending my touch-ups to more than 3 months. It made my new growth very manageable. I was suspicious about its cleansing power as well but it works.

I think issues with Wen could be:

1) It can be very moisturizing and you may need to be sure to do a protein treatment to counteract that. I find that I shed a lot if my hair gets too mushy. I henna my hair so I dont worry to much about protein.

2) Clarify. I do this about once every 6 weeks or so because I have really fine hair and build-up is not my friend.

I dont imagine this is for everyone and if you are allergic I suggest stop using it. It is too much money to spend on something that will make you sick.

StarScream35

I went ahead and ordered the Wen Fig Conditioner as well as the Fig Remoist which was an arm and a leg...............$72.00!! I'm hoping I'm impressed and ask the good lord Jesus that I don't have an allergic reaction. I'll still do what I always do, shampoo once a week, clarify every 2 weeks and chelate once per month and continue with my protein treatments. Hopefully everything goes well.

LexaKing

I went ahead and ordered the Wen Fig Conditioner as well as the Fig Remoist which was an arm and a leg...............$72.00!! I'm hoping I'm impressed and ask the good lord Jesus that I don't have an allergic reaction. I'll still do what I always do, shampoo once a week, clarify every 2 weeks and chelate once per month and continue with my protein treatments. Hopefully everything goes well.

Keep us updated :) Hope all goes great!

25Nona

I use the Hair One Olive Oil and NEVER had issues what so ever!
I used the SAM Wen no issues really either. Now I used the fig and I felt I got a slight increase in shedding which has subsided. I use the GP WEN mixed with Fig because I don't really care for it alone and my hair is super soft.

I LOVE WEN! I LOVE HAIR ONE!

If your allergic to it; please stop this isn't worth any issues that it may cause to you.

It wasn't until recently that I have noticed the same thing, just a bit more shedding than normal. It could have been the post that I have been reading on the forum that made me connect the two. I have a few flavors and switch them up, but began to notice the slight increase when I use the fig. I am not competely shampooless, I still chelatae every 4 weeks or so and neturalize after my relaxers. What I did start doing and I love it...is mixing equal pumps of the Sweet Almont Mint and the Pomagranate together. This combo that gives my hair zing, and I have now moved to useing the fig for shaving my lady parts :blush:

fatimablush

i love WEN and also like the Hair One Tea Tree when i can find it.

i also wash with regular shampoo twice a month to get rid of any build up...

no problems and my hair doesn't shed as much. this also made transitioning easy.

StarScream35

Random comment here........Chaz looks like a white version of Prince or Prince looks like a black version of Chaz........I'm just saying.......

The Princess

At first I didn't understand how some of the ladies were obtaining breaking from this product, then it happen.

I had to go on a business trip for 30 days. I thought it would be convenient to take WEN with me, since its a shampoo, conditioner and leave in. The first two week my hair was very soft. After the third week my hair was to soft. By the fourth week, my hair was in dying need of a protein. My hair was breaking everywhere.
After returning home, I had to breakout my protein receipes and use a daily protein hair moisturizer. I also had to break out my infamous Hairveda vatika frosting, due to the coconut oil in it,(I don't know why I stopped using it anyway its really good). After a week my hair was back to normal and balance.

WEN still has a place in my heart. Along with my new favorite Vanila Mint.
What I realize WEN can not be used along without protein.

Tis is all.....we will not ever speak of this ever again.

Last edited:

kellistarr

Has anyone seen this, yet?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...t=WEN022812&cm_pla=ACTIVE&cm_ite=HERO_A222872

Chaz was on QVC about a two weeks ago. He didn't give a sneak peek about this new one. I watched the show (2 hours) and learned a few extra tips.
I've been reading about Wen and the folks that say they have experienced hair loss. I don't know what to think about it all, except that I lose hair with whatever I'm using, however, with certain products I might lose a little less. If I use a harsh shampoo, I will lose more. My new love is 613. Love it, love it.
But I never use the same product continuously, I've just always subscribed to switching it up at least 2x a month. Anyhoo, I may have to check out this new one. Need to find out the ingredients. It sounds like the same formula as the other cleansers, just a different scent.

JJamiah

kellistarr thanks for posting it :)

Thank goodness Gardenia isn't one of my preferred smells so I won't even look at this one. Plus I have quite enough. LOL

kellistarr

@ JJamiah- I know what you mean! I just read on one of the WEN boards that the summer seasonal will be Mango Coconut. This sounds more appealing to me, I love anything coconut. So, I'm thinking I will save my $$ and wait on that one.

StarScream35

My report on Wen (Fig).......and Hair One from Sally's.

I decided to test both of these products on my hair mannequin since I was a little squirrly about doing them on my own hair given all the crazy reports I have read. So I'll start off with Wen Fig

Oh yeah, a little background on my mannequin. She has dyed, 3C hair that's very dry..........thanks to all the experiments I've done on her! :ohwell:

So I washed with the Wen Fig conditioner and right off the bat her hair was feeling nice. I was like.........:yep:. There was a stong menthol smell though. I felt like I was standing in front of my vaporizer.

I detangled and noticed a lot broken hairs. Now this kinda scurred me. It wasn't clumps of hair but a lot more broken hairs than usual. I then put the Fig Remoist in and left it in for 45 minutes and let her hair airdryed and the results were amazing. Nice moisturized, soft hair! I'm not sure what caused the breakage. I looked at Wen's ingredients and everything seemed harmless.

Now on to Hair One

Washed with the Hair One conditioner and her hair was feeling nice and soft. Again, the menthol smell was definitely there. Detangling didn't produce much broken hairs so no worries there.

I proceeded with letting her hair airdry and afterwards I noticed her hair was soft but looked very dry. Not sure if this makes sense cause it really didn't make sense to me. Her ends were more parched than anything. :nono:

Not sure if the Wen Remoist made a difference or what. It was weird though. Maybe I should have used another conditioner after Hair One?? I'll probably test this out over the weekend. Hair One has more weird, unpronounceable ingredients that Wen.....that's for sure. :spinning:

Any questions, let me know!

StarScream35

*************************Update***************************

Okay so I got around to using Wen Fig and.............um.................hmmm :look:. It dried my hair out. I didn't notice any breakage or anything but I did get that tingling scalp feeling from the menthol. Okay but anyway, I tried it according to the directions and then used Wen Fig Remoist and sat under my steamer for 30 minutes. Washed my hair out and was appalled at the tangles and dryness. I used Crack leave in conditioner hoping it would help cause this stuff can usually come to rescue for any job gone wrong but it didn't do a thing! I couldn't take the dryness anymore so the next day I washed my hair using my Phyto Ultra Dry line and used Lacio Lacio leave in and I'm good now. Hair is nice and soft and feels moisturized. Maybe I need to give Wen another try? Maybe it's one of those things that gets better with time?

chocolat79

I just started using Wen a couple months ago, Ginger Pumpkin, and my hair :love: it! It's definitely moisturizing for my hair; more than any other commercial product. I must also say that my hair STAYS dry on the regular and I'm also in a much drier climate now, so this is super important. I didn't have to moisturize my hair for almost a week later after I used it. I moisturized it anyway, because I didn't believe it could be true, but I didn't have to. I'll continue to order this from eBay or wherever until I can't get it anymore.

After reading all these mixed reviews on the other ones, I think I'm gonna stick with what works; especially since it's so expensive.

Kysmet

I used Wen Fig for the first time today and NOW I get all the HYPE! Ive been transitioning since last July. I have breakage around my hairline and the crown due to damage from both highlighting and texlaxing (hence the decision to go back to natural). Ive been getting sick of the two textures although I decided not to do the big chop. The breakage and 'swoll up' roots have made it difficult to do something as simple as create a neat ponytail when necessary. I do not think my hair has been extremely dry and the breakage stopped a while ago (thank God!) but I do believe shampooing stripped my hair down and even the DC didn't bring it back completely.

However after using Wen, my hair was much calmer and very moisturized. Wen made my hair much more manageable compared to last week's shampoo and DC. The only other product I used today was Wave Nouveau's Moisturizing Finishing Lotion. I plan to add this to my reggie. I will shampoo every now and then to clarify and prevent build up.

I am a bit irritated that I missed out on the Pumpkin and Vanilla Mint seasons and which ever one of you pointed out that Chaz looks like a white Prince LMAO (I love Prince dangnabit!! but youre right). Not sure if I want to try the Spring Gardenia so Im waiting to see what they do for the summer.

StarScream35

Okay I feel like I did something wrong after reading the lasts two posts and well it worked for you guys. I followed the directions on the bottle and used the remoist and everything but still came out with dry hair. Maybe I should have sat under the dryer vs using the steamer? I hate to go back and abuse my hair like cause my hair has become fragile since I have been texlaxing vs relaxing. Maybe I'll just stick with my high end brand~Phyto Ultra Dry Line and my mid grade brand~Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter. :yep:

kellistarr

I used Wen Fig for the first time today and NOW I get all the HYPE! Ive been transitioning since last July. I have breakage around my hairline and the crown due to damage from both highlighting and texlaxing (hence the decision to go back to natural). Ive been getting sick of the two textures although I decided not to do the big chop. The breakage and 'swoll up' roots have made it difficult to do something as simple as create a neat ponytail when necessary. I do not think my hair has been extremely dry and the breakage stopped a while ago (thank God!) but I do believe shampooing stripped my hair down and even the DC didn't bring it back completely.

However after using Wen, my hair was much calmer and very moisturized. Wen made my hair much more manageable compared to last week's shampoo and DC. The only other product I used today was Wave Nouveau's Moisturizing Finishing Lotion. I plan to add this to my reggie. I will shampoo every now and then to clarify and prevent build up.

I am a bit irritated that I missed out on the Pumpkin and Vanilla Mint seasons and which ever one of you pointed out that Chaz looks like a white Prince LMAO (I love Prince dangnabit!! but youre right). Not sure if I want to try the Spring Gardenia so Im waiting to see what they do for the summer.

I stumbled upon this WEN forum formatted of people, mostly women, who get to try the WEN products before we do. Mango/Coconut is supposed to be the new one for the summer. I'm looking forward to it!

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I swear Wen changed my life! Love It!! I use Wen Fig, and I swear I was able to detangle root down, without being under running water, with not a care or a snag. Amazing!! And every time I use it, my hair feels better and softer. I am in Lurve!!