How many AA women you know are MBL or WL

BostonMaria

I remember this article and wanted to add it here to shed some light:

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html

Black denial

Nearly all Dominican women straighten their hair, which experts say is a direct result of a historical learned rejection of all things black

SANTO DOMINGO -- Yara Matos sat still while long, shiny locks from China were fastened, bit by bit, to her coarse hair.

I read that article a few years ago and at first I was FURIOUS! Then after I calmed down I realized there was some truth to it. I think its not good to generalize about a whole race of people. I've always known I'm black *LOL* :grin: and I loves my nappy hair. Most of the women in my family have natural hair.

I think the article can be taken with a grain of salt. Most of it is taken out of context. It would be like watching "Good Hair" the movie and assuming all African American women are a certain way. Or saying women wear weaves to be white. It wouldn't be a correct statement.

Anyway I'm trying to figure out why this went from women with MBL hair to AA vs Dominican?

Gissellr78, every time a family member comes to visit I always get some kind of conditioner :grin: I get all happy and run home to wash my hair! LOL

locabouthair

I don't mean to be controversial but do you mean products with mineral oil in them? if so yes i agree.

and regarding the article posted before i agree totally but race and discrimination is not a problem only in DR is a huge problem in latin america overall which is very sad to me.

yeah it had mineral oil. I believe it was that keracare orange grease that tingles.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Many black women optimum length is ear length, shoulder length, chin length etc... There are black women who take care of their hair while relaxed and still don't make it to MBL or WL. I know a natural who has been natural for 13 years and her hair still doesn't reach shoulder length not even stretch. I will stick to my belief that the majority of black women will not be MBL or WL but shoulder length or BSL and probably more even shorter than shoulder length.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Who are you? :rofl:

msa

This is a scary forum...but yes maria I agree no one in my family even blinks at my hair if is long or not...dominican women have good hair care practices ( hello when a family member comes from DR they bring conditioner as gifts..who does that? We do lol)

I didn't get my hair relaxed until I was 15...we are relaxing at an earlier age when the hair is course (not all)...but a lottttt of kids don't need a relaxer.

AA women relaxed and natural have the healthiest hair now that I have seen in 25 years of being here...the 90's were a hot mess lol with care all women can grow their hair.

Nobody needs a relaxer.

FluffyRed

I have between 5 and 10 relatives with that length, and none of them have had my (nappy) texture.

They are creole, half NA, or just genetic flukes with silky shiny black waves or curls.

eta - actually, my mom... she's a 4a, but not as nappy as me
OH - my sister had it... she has hair like me!!!

beana

I read that article a few years ago and at first I was FURIOUS! Then after I calmed down I realized there was some truth to it. I think its not good to generalize about a whole race of people. I've always known I'm black *LOL* :grin: and I loves my nappy hair. Most of the women in my family have natural hair.

I think the article can be taken with a grain of salt. Most of it is taken out of context. It would be like watching "Good Hair" the movie and assuming all African American women are a certain way. Or saying women wear weaves to be white. It wouldn't be a correct statement.

Anyway I'm trying to figure out why this went from women with MBL hair to AA vs Dominican?

Gissellr78, every time a family member comes to visit I always get some kind of conditioner :grin: I get all happy and run home to wash my hair! LOL

Not sure but i think its because some AA and dominican women are similiar in appearance and maybe the latinas were being mistaken for AA's with long hair...um i dunno, but i joined this thread late and i *think* thats what may have happened lol :yep:

I plan on visitng DR very soon, I was supoosed to go to Samana earlier this year but had to cancel my trip. I'm gonna get my lacio lacio straight from the source!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I know two who have MBL hair. One is mixed and relaxed, the other has natural hair of 3b/3c texture. Other than that the only other people I knew with MBL, WL and TBL hair: my grandmother, great grandmother and her sister respectively. They all had natural hair 4a and a bit of 3C. hmmm, that might have been where my hair obsession started. Oh yeah, their regimen was coconut oil, coconut oil and more coconut oil, buns and plaits so it was fairly simple

Last edited:

Barbie83

She's someone who's clearly never had long hair herself had nor has seen an AA w/ long hair that's acceptable to her (ie no locks). Most of the women I guestimate here are at least shoulder length, so they're already at their limit, acording to Celestial :grin:.

Anyone who thinks ear legth is pushing it and shoulder length is THE limit is clearly someone who's speaking of what THEY know. However, that's not my experience and I suspect many others here.

........:amen:

crazydaze911

Not sure but i think its because some AA and dominican women are similiar in appearance and maybe the latinas were being mistaken for AA's with long hair...um i dunno, but i joined this thread late and i *think* thats what may have happened lol :yep:

I plan on visitng DR very soon, I was supoosed to go to Samana earlier this year but had to cancel my trip. I'm gonna get my lacio lacio straight from the source!

Yeah - rack up when you get there. Tariffs or shipping taxes or w/e you call it are serious. The dominican creme i was buying at the BSS for $6.99 was in the dollar store for $2.50 in DR - thats their CHEAP stuff - i felt so robbed lol.

BostonMaria

Hide me in your suitcase! :grin:
Samana is beautiful. My family is originally from Sanchez, which is the next town over. Have fun!

[/B]

Yeah - rack up when you get there. Tariffs or shipping taxes or w/e you call it are serious. The dominican creme i was buying at the BSS for $6.99 was in the dollar store for $2.50 in DR - thats their CHEAP stuff - i felt so robbed lol.

Don't feel too bad. I went to El Paso, TX and spot a Lacio Lacio and when I went to pay they asked for $16!!!! :spinning: They might as well have robbed me LOL

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
Many black women optimum length is ear length, shoulder length, chin length etc... There are black women who take care of their hair while relaxed and still don't make it to MBL or WL. I know a natural who has been natural for 13 years and her hair still doesn't reach shoulder length not even stretch. I will stick to my belief that the majority of black women will not be MBL or WL but shoulder length or BSL and probably more even shorter than shoulder length.

what? :confused: i think those lengths are more common in some women that have bad hair care practices. i say some because i had horrible hair practices and i maintained at apl/bsl for a long time.

are you black?

Muffinz05

I have a couple of women in my family with MBL or WL hair including me. As for the dominican and AA topic, if you do your homework, you will find out that we are basically the same because when the slave trade started in African, there were a lot of ships brought over to the carribean, central america, and south america....DR was one of the first stops. When Columbus stopped in DR, he came across fields and fields of sugar cain and tried harvesting more sugar until he realized that he needed more manpower and thus started the slave trade in the carribean aka trade traingle aka sugar trade. My mother is a black puerto rican and I also have dominicans in my family too and even though we are black latinos, we did not forget about our african ancestry. If you wan more info about this topic, check out a website that one of my gf's started up called afrolatinos.tv

beana

My mother is a black puerto rican and I also have dominicans in my family too and even though we are black latinos, we did not forget about our african ancestry. If you wan more info about this topic, check out a website that one of my gf's started up called afrolatinos.tv

I'll check that out and thanks for posting!

rabs77

Several,
My grandma and aunties(dad side) were all midback at one point. My cousin is midback, so is my stepsis. I'm right about midback too. We are Ghanaian though, not AA:) I know several more with the potential to go that long, they are just clueless on what to do with their hair.

Last edited:

rabs77

To be fair, some shorter hair little girls

OMG, just noticed their t-shirts, I went to a Hermann Gmeiner (SOS) primary school , the girls are so cute!!!!!!!

I'm a little confused on Dominican hair practices.

Some of the AA women here experienced thinning and breakage after a while when frequenting Dominican salons because of the heat and the roughness. Why then are Dominican women able to handle the same amount of heat and roughness but maintain long hair? Is it a hairtype issue or what?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I use a modified Dominican blowout. I just use a hot air brush and roller set. I have less damage, now. These ladies have knowledge of the technique and the products to get.:yep:

Truth

One .. my bestfriend is usually between MBL and BSL sometimes she's gets sissor happy and goes APL...... Every now and then she'll let it get to WL... then cut it off.. other then her.. nobody else

Well it all depends on who your stylist is and how frequently you're getting this done. We don't know the hair practices at home either. Not all beauticians are made equal. :grin: I think many DRs have a slightly different hair type from many AAs that may stand up better to some of the rougher stylists, but really it's more about who's doing your hair. I'm not sure how many women who are doing this are relaxed vs natural either. If you're relaxed and doing these blowouts, that's a receipe for disaster.

Check this lady's interview. She has a good philosophy, but I imagine not everybody is like her: http://dominicanhaircare.com/blog/?p=185

I didn't know she had a blog. THANKS!

Fine 4s

I'm sure latinas could get mistaken (using that word very loosely) for AA and vice versa!

Thought my nana was lying when she said she's from there! LOL
No one I've ever met knows Samana...

Fine 4s

To be fair, some shorter hair little girls

I know we're talking general terms here but I'm tickled pink thinking about this point. Many people in the DR are haitians who have relocated. Know of many with pretty long hair with what folks would assume are latinas.
Be careful! they're everywhere mua ha ha ha ha...ha ha ha ha ha...lol