Naturals: A gel that doesn't leave white residue + dealing with criticisms?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I use KCCC with with either V05 Strawberries & Cream or more recently, Suave Everlasting Sunshine underneath. I don't get any white residue or flakes & I can get up to 4 day hair if I wanted to.

kinkycurlygurl

Shea butter likes to stand alone. It will definately act crazy if you mix it with gel and other products.

I take what older people say about hair texture with a grain of salt. They were indoctrinated with the idea that straight hair was good hair. The only good hair. As early as possible, they made their kinky hair straight. For some of them, the idea that we would voluntarily allow our hair to "go back" is just appalling.

Our notion, to borrow the phrase from India Irie, "what God/dess gave me is just fine" is completely alien to many of them. As for the hair dresser, she just wants your money back in her pocket.

Missigirl

I am using VO5 strawberry and crème and aloe vera jel and I don’t get flakes it takes a while for it to go in but no flakes when dry.

Wearing our hair natural is new to most people. I have gotten maybe 2 compliments since going natural. I use to get a lot of compliments when I was relaxed. One person who is a hair dresser is always asking if I am going to press my hair I told her nope.:nono: I am going to wear it just like it is. Make sure you love your hair and it doesn’t matter if others don’t.

greenandchic

I agree with the other posters who suggested using an oil, Vo5 and/or activator. What really helped me is getting away from Ecostyler gels with a hold factor of #10 (Olive Oil, Crystal, Argan Oil, etc). I use the Ecostyler Blue #5. Not only does it have a lighter hold, but it does play well with a lot of leave-ins.

Sometimes I mix oil and/or aloe vera gel with the Eco in a separate container then apply it to the hair.

ajargon02

Perhaps you can use a water based leave-in (like Knot Today and then use a gel (I like Fantasia IC with the white top) over that. As far as the comments, ignore them.

(above quote was edited)

I like to use water based leave-ins (kcnt is my fav or your can stretch that with the kimmaytube recipe) then I like fsg(flax seed gel) it's cheap, you can make a lot of it, and it doesn't leave white residue.

For me, the key is a water based leave-in. If the leave-in is white in the jar, when mixed with gel, you get white globs or a white coating, imho.

zoromo

I think the key to a flake-less look involves the following:
1) Making sure the section of the hair you want to lay down or slick is wet. I at times will part out just the front of the hair and wet that section and brush it to blend with the rest once I have applied the gel.
2) Applying oil or a oil based moisturizer under or on top of the gel
3) Smoothing the product in with a brush, toothbrush, or comb
4) Tying the hair down so that excess product can be absorbed into the scarf and so that the hair can set and dry a bit.
It seems that applying cream and gel to dry or only lightly misted hair and not distributing the product enough will leave a residue. Try it out, I think this method may help.