Is 3 months a decent time to keep a sew-in in your head?

virtuenow

@virtuenow I also saw a poster.mention that it's best to wash that week you are going to remove the sew in for an easier take down? Have/do you ever do that?
Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

I do much more than that. I wash 1-2x week or more. Like I said, my hair was moist and smooth as butter on my last take down. I'm not sure what you're suggesting. If, by chance, you are suggesting not washing or infrequent washing then I doubt washing your hair one time the week of take down will do anything. By that time the damage is done, I don't see how this 1 wash will combat the drying that took place the weeks or months of not washing.

Last edited:

Rikinkkulus

I keep mine for two and a half, because I heard that keeping your hair in braids for more than two months can make it start to lock up. So I keep it as code even when my hair is just in cornrows under weave.

MsLizziA

I usually keep mine in for about 3 months and just oil my scalp... when i do decide to wear them tho.. hair cost too damn much

SuchaLady

virtuenow Sorry lol. That did not read well. I am planning on washing mine I just saw someone mention that a takedown will go more smoothly on freshly washed hair.

I do much more than that. I wash 1-2x week or more. Like I said, my hair was moist and smooth as butter on my last take down. I'm not sure what you're suggesting. If, by chance, you are suggesting not washing or infrequent washing then I doubt washing your hair one time the week of take down will do anything. By that time the damage is done, I don't see how this 1 wash will combat the drying that took place the weeks or months of not washing.

virtuenow

Oh, that's okay, I'm sure doing a wash before the take down would probably help detangling and take down go more smoothly. I forgot to note, I do a weekly oil rinse as well and this helps retain moisture.

I'm just an adovocate of taking care of your hair no matter what state its in. I had a recent consult w/a beautician who instructs her clients not to wash while in a sew in; and said black women can go 6months w/o washing-- and that frequent washing leads to breakage. There is a disconnect somewhere, huh?

TeeMBL

Lurker
Nobody shoot me, but I wore sew-ins for all of 2010. I took them down and relaxed about every 3-4 months. I would not recommend that knowing what I know now, but luckily I had so much growth (I went from badly damaged ear length to HEALTHY hair past my shoulders). I did wash and take care of my hair underneath very well.

Word of advice, when you take the sew-in out detangle like your life depends on it BEFORE washing. Do not wash your hair without detangling very very well (that will cause extensive matting that will be difficult to remedy). The last time I removed my sew-ins I detangled for over 2 hours using detanglers, several sizes of combs, whatever I needed. Your patience will be tested because your hair is bound to be tangled and matted upon removal, just use a good detangler and detangle as you unbraid each section.

I washed 1-2 times a week because I worked out, and sweat plus a sew-in was yucky to me. I washed using whatever shampoo I wanted and carefully cleansed the scalp by shampooing each track and rinsing as I go. Then for the actual hair I'd just wash with shampoo and be done.

MaryJane3000

Okay so what I'm gathering from you ladies is that if I get a sew in Saturday...before my sew in I should do a shampoo along with a protein and moisture dc. Then once my hair is braided and sewed in, I should go a week and then use an applicator bottle to squirt diluted shampoo on the scalp and rinse out and then do the same with conditioner and make sure I get my my braids more so than my scalp. Then I rinse and do a co-wash with a cheapier conditioner for the hair.

Do this every week or every two weeks? WHile moisturzing with a braid spray and oiling the scalp as needed.

Does this sound correct?

virtuenow

Yes maryjane. However, I suggest u focus the shampoo just on ur scalp. It can be really drying. Focus the conditioner on hair. U may want to dilute ur conditioner w/aloe vera juice (& oil optional) instead of just water. U should also consider slathering on chicoro's "moisture drenched pre-poo". U can search those terms to find thread

I would Suggest once a week. Also, this works best w/remy human hair. Its more expensive but lasts for years. I suggest extensions plus haiir (relaxed type), or Opheratiqe hair (in italian perm yaki) its awesome
Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

TeeMBL

Lurker
Yes maryjane. However, I suggest u focus the shampoo just on ur scalp. It can be really drying. Focus the conditioner on hair. U may want to dilute ur conditioner w/aloe vera juice (& oil optional) instead of just water. U should also consider slathering on chicoro's "moisture drenched pre-poo". U can search those terms to find thread

I would Suggest once a week. Also, this works best w/remy human hair. Its more expensive but lasts for years. I suggest extensions plus haiir (relaxed type), or Opheratiqe hair (in italian perm yaki) its awesome
Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Good point about the type of hair used. You really need to get a good quality hair (remy) since you'll be washing and conditioning so much. Cheap hair doesn't seem to stand up to well with constant washing IMO.

Blue_Berry

Hey guys, I'm back to say I used to use Jamaican Mango & Lime No More Itch Gro Spray. My hair felt a little moist with the product and I loved the cool feeling on my scalp, but my hair was feeling ruff underneath. Now that I'm finish with it I switch to Fantasia Braid Sheen Spray. Guys I most tell you this stuff make my hair feel soft underneath. I also have some hair growing at the nape of my neck too. When I use to stretch it down it felt somewhat a little hard and sometimes little hairs snapped. :nono: Since I switch my braid spray my hair is soft and easy to feel through. :yep: Conditioner does keep my hair soft too, but overtime my hair would get a little ruff.

Ladies, I wanted to know do you have to use a particular braid spray in order to retention good length and keep your hair from matting.

Last edited:

naturalsista1

2 months is the max you should leave a sew-in in your hair. Anything pass that is pushing it. Your hair may tangle up, smells and breaks if you leave longer than that! Some of my friends leave their sew-ins for 3 months but always complaining about breakage and tangling. No Way! 2 months max girl or you may have problems!