Anyone ever tried a real Mayonnaise or Avocado treatment for dry hair?

*Muffin*

Okay, my hair is completely dry and I'm back with my verdict *drumrolls*...I love it! it's a very stregthening yet moisturizing treatment. It really smoothed out my hair and it was shining like nobody's business :grin:. Here's some pros and cons of the treatment:

Pros:
-Cheap
-Natural
-Effective
-Moisturizing
-Strengthening
-Gives blinging shine
-Gives hair volume without being too out there

Cons:
-A bit oily. I made the mistake of using the normal amount of oil I usually use for sealing after the treatment, rationalizing that I'd shampooed so it shouldn't be that oily...:nono:. I had to re-shampoo because my hair felt really coated and I had to seal with just a light layer of coconut oi.
-Smells kind of weird: It smelled like a relaxer to me! I was like "Hold up :look:" but fortunately the smell doesn't last.
-Requires clean-up

That's all that I can think of. I will definitely make this treatment a regular part of my routine.

Anna9764

Girl, if you've got a Super Kmart or Super Target near you check there for Avocado oil. I got some really good unrefined Avocado oil there for cheap (I believe anywhere from 6-9 bucks). It's called Olivado Avocado oil. And I know it's good stuff because it's super green and smells like avocados :yep:.
That's the one i've been looking for, so far only seen it on the internet. I will difinitely check into this. Read that olivado has the oil of 22 avocados in 1 250ml bottle :yep: Thank you Muffin

Libra08

Okay so I finally tried an avocado hair mask treatment, and I am blown away at how soft my hair is! I wish I would have tried this sooner! I use one whole ripe avocado, coconut milk, olive oil, honey, and one banana. I can't wait to try this again!

*Muffin*

Okay so I finally tried an avocado hair mask treatment, and I am blown away at how soft my hair is! I wish I would have tried this sooner! I use one whole ripe avocado, coconut milk, olive oil, honey, and one banana. I can't wait to try this again!

This is pretty much exactly how I'm going to do my next treatment (minus the banana). Can't wait! I'm going to save the mayonnaise for when I need a protein treatment. It really seems to strengthen my hair. I think the next protein treatment I'm going to use Mayonnaise, Avocado Oil, Molasses, and Braggs Liquid Aminos (got some finally :grin:). Should be nice and strengthening :yep:.

Aggie

So Libra08, did you blend everything together before applying to your hair and how long did you leave it on? How much of each did you use and what was the consistency like? I have all these items except the avocado.

Avocados are not fully in season yet in the Bahamas but they will be in a month or so. I wonder if I'll be able to freeze them for later in the year when they are fully in season. We have a huge tree growing in our backyard. Hmmm!

Aggie

This is pretty much exactly how I'm going to do my next treatment (minus the banana). Can't wait! I'm going to save the mayonnaise for when I need a protein treatment. It really seems to strengthen my hair. I think the next protein treatment I'm going to use Mayonnaise, Avocado Oil, Molasses, and Braggs Liquid Aminos (got some finally :grin:). Should be nice and strengthening :yep:.

I like the idea of adding molasses to my mix as well. Thanks for the idea Muffin.

*Muffin*

I like the idea of adding molasses to my mix as well. Thanks for the idea Muffin.

Yeah, I've heard molasses has certain strengthening properties, so I'm going to utilize it in my protein treatment and Honey in my moisturizing treatment :yep:.

Aggie

Yeah, I've heard molasses has certain strengthening properties, so I'm going to utilize it in my protein treatment and Honey in my moisturizing treatment :yep:.

Yeah I know, I do use it as a strengthener but never thought to add it to a mix like the ones indicated here. Thanks again.

Libra08

So Libra08, did you blend everything together before applying to your hair and how long did you leave it on? How much of each did you use and what was the consistency like? I have all these items except the avocado.

Avocados are not fully in season yet in the Bahamas but they will be in a month or so. I wonder if I'll be able to freeze them for later in the year when they are fully in season. We have a huge tree growing in our backyard. Hmmm!

Yep I blended everything. I was really surprised by the consistency. It was like a thick conditioner. I left it on for about an hour. I used three tablespoons of olive oil and I just eyeballed the honey. I just poured it in a circle about two times lol I had some leftover coconut milk that I froze in an ice cube tray. I used six coconut cubes in my mix. HTH!

Libra08

OMG Aggie I thought of you when I was cutting up my avocado. I saved the seed because I remembered you said you had an avocado tree, and I want to try to grow one. I doubt it will actually grow into a tree, but I'm going to plant it anyway lol

*Muffin*

I'm DC'ing with my Avocado & Coconut milk mix right now. The consistency was perfect! I added neem oil, honey, about a tablespoon of safflower oil and a teaspoon of baking soda to the mix. And, for fun, I took pictures of the process and I'll be posting them in my LHCF album today :yay:. My first LHCF picture album!

Aggie

OMG Aggie I thought of you when I was cutting up my avocado. I saved the seed because I remembered you said you had an avocado tree, and I want to try to grow one. I doubt it will actually grow into a tree, but I'm going to plant it anyway lol

Lol, well you can't lose anything but an actual tree in your climatic zone. It probably won't grow if it's too cold there though:sad:. Try anyway and see what happens.

*Muffin*

I know this is somewhat off topic, but has anyone had success with using bananas instead of avocado. I love avocado, but sometimes I like to switch it up :grin:. I guess there's no real way of knowing but to try it out. Perhaps that will be my next DC mix :rolleyes:.

Aggie

I know this is somewhat off topic, but has anyone had success with using bananas instead of avocado. I love avocado, but sometimes I like to switch it up :grin:. I guess there's no real way of knowing but to try it out. Perhaps that will be my next DC mix :rolleyes:.

I have a recipe but haven't tried it out as yet. I can't wait to take these braids down to try some kitchen stuff on my hair:grin:

*Muffin*

I have a recipe but haven't tried it out as yet. I can't wait to take these braids down to try some kitchen stuff on my hair:grin:

That's a smart thing you did, saving the avocado seed and planting your own avocado tree. I live in Florida, so I think the climate would be perfect, but I'd probably have to purchase some loamy soil because I have mostly sand in my backyard. The mango trees are growing fine, though, so maybe the seed would grow fine.

Aggie

That's a smart thing you did, saving the avocado seed and planting your own avocado tree. I live in Florida, so I think the climate would be perfect, but I'd probably have to purchase some loamy soil because I have mostly sand in my backyard. The mango trees are growing fine, though, so maybe the seed would grow fine.

Yeah we have just about the same weather but our soil is different. In the Bahamas, we have primarily limestone soil but can enrich it with other soils and organic peat and manure. Works perfectly. I know coconut trees here grow well in sandy limestone areas, don't know how, but they do.

*Muffin*

I pre-poo'ed with mayo, avocado oil, molasses, and some braggs liquid aminos, and my hair felt really good when I was washing it out. I followed up with a moisturizing conditioner, but I feel that the pre-poo added some necessary strength to my hair.

Miss Monae

Back in the day my mom used egg mixed with mayo on our hair as a protein treatment. It's been years since she did this but when she did it wrked wonders on our hair. Thanks for the reminder, I am going to do this over the weekend.

Aggie

I pre-poo'ed with mayo, avocado oil, molasses, and some braggs liquid aminos, and my hair felt really good when I was washing it out. I followed up with a moisturizing conditioner, but I feel that the pre-poo added some necessary strength to my hair.

Muffin, the avocados on my tree are almost full girl. I can't wait to try the avocado treatment on my hair. I saw some in the foodstore last week and each one was $2.09 if I remember correctly. They were wayyy too expensive:nono:. I thought I'd wait for the ones at home to ripen.

I did do a 5 minute egg, evoo, honey, MT and CON Reconstructor treatment early this week but I think I'll use just the yolk for my next treatment. I thought it made my hair a little too hard. Or maybe I'll just use the egg, evoo and honey only - no conditioners. I'll DC afterwards.

Tomorrow is ayurveda day followed by a beer rinse:yep::grin:.

Aggie

Back in the day my mom used egg mixed with mayo on our hair as a protein treatment. It's been years since she did this but when she did it wrked wonders on our hair. Thanks for the reminder, I am going to do this over the weekend.

Wow Miss Monae, where did you get that fabulous phony pony in your avi? I wouldlike to buy one. It looks like it will go well with my 6 months of new growth:grin:.

*Muffin*

Muffin, the avocados on my tree are almost full girl. I can't wait to try the avocado treatment on my hair. I saw some in the foodstore last week and each one was $2.09 if I remember correctly. They were wayyy too expensive:nono:. I thought I'd wait for the ones at home to ripen.

I did do a 5 minute egg, evoo, honey, MT and CON Reconstructor treatment early this week but I think I'll use just the yolk for my next treatment. I thought it made my hair a little too hard. Or maybe I'll just use the egg, evoo and honey only - no conditioners. I'll DC afterwards.

Tomorrow is ayurveda day followed by a beer rinse:yep::grin:.

Sounds great, almost like a mini spa day :yep:. I'm still mildly envious that you have your own avocado tree. My friend's neighbor has an avocado tree and I told her to hook a sister up :lachen:. I guess that's stealing, but maybe if I'm really nice they'll supply me with my hair food :look:. Beer rinses, hmm? What's to prevent me from trying this next? I wonder what makes beer rinses so good for the hair? I've found that when using avocados I don't need to mix conditioner with it. For the next protein treatment I do I want to use avocado, egg yolk, and either molasses or honey. I have two weeks to decide. Usually when I want a moisturizing treatment I mix the avocado with coconut milk :lick:.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Going to do an avocado, egg yolk, and coconut oil DC this coming Wednesday. I've heard good things about the avocado/egg yolk combo. I'm thinking about adding a tablespoon of yogurt as well. I've heard yogurt is good for softening the hair as well as adding protein. IDK...I'll let you ladies know.

Anna9764

Going to do an avocado, egg yolk, and coconut oil DC this coming Wednesday. I've heard good things about the avocado/egg yolk combo. I'm thinking about adding a tablespoon of yogurt as well. I've heard yogurt is good for softening the hair as well as adding protein. IDK...I'll let you ladies know.
Yeah the yogurt is a light protein, but never found it moisturizing enough :nono: Also heard good things about egg, haven't tried it yet...let us know. I love Avocado and also honey :yep:

*Muffin*

Yeah the yogurt is a light protein, but never found it moisturizing enough :nono: Also heard good things about egg, haven't tried it yet...let us know. I love Avocado and also honey :yep:

Yeah, I decided to forgo the yogurt. I remember doing a yogurt hair treatment before, and my hair felt hard. I just stuck with the Avocado, egg yoks (2), coconut oil, and a bit of honey. It's actually in my hair right now. I DC'd for 30 minutes with heat (low heat so the egg wouldn't cook) and now I'm waiting for the mix to dry into my hair so it can really absorb the nutrients. I'll save the yogurt for my face and for eating :grin:.

Miss Monae

Wow Miss Monae, where did you get that fabulous phony pony in your avi? I wouldlike to buy one. It looks like it will go well with my 6 months of new growth:grin:.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got it from Sally's - it's the Vienna curly drawstring ponytail.