Detangling Process for Relaxed Heads?

Oliv3

Hello Ladies, I am still new to haircare but I have been managing just fine except for the most crucial process...de-tangling.:nono: After my deep conditioner I patted my head with my towel(is that a no no?) and proceeded to detangle. I am not going to lie, I am heavy handed and i tend to pull at my hair.:cry3: I know this is the wrong method and i need to get it right so I can retain more hair and stop the NEEDLESS shedding/breaking. My hair is fine and I am relaxed. (currently 2 months post.)

for some extra info, I do have a detangling shampoo and its Keracare. I absolutely love it. I use it after my keracare 1st lather and its great. Should i be using this as I detangle...again? I am unsure because I let my hair airdry and the shampoo will still be left in my hair? Or if I should not should I be seeking a detangling "conditioner" that can i be left in my hair? I am a bit confused, so advice is much appreciated.:kiss: Maybe you can share some of your methods to detangling fine hair? :]​

DarkHair

Hiiiyeeee! The biggest help for me when I detangle is to use serums. Lately I've been using Paul Mitchell's The Detangler with The Conditioner. The latter is a moisturizing leave-in. I also detangle from tip to root.

Solitude

First, when you shampoo, focus on gently working up a lather in your roots; do not pile your hair up on your head. It's best to wash your hair in the shower to lessen tangles.

After you apply your DC, use your shower comb to detangle root to tip; for relaxed hair, this should actually be an easy process. Be gentle.

After rinsing out the DC (preferabbly in the shower; if not, be careful not to pile your hair up on your head)

Put in your leave ins. As stated before, serums and creamy leave ins with silk proteins will help to add "slip" or make the comb slip through your hair more easily. Gently detangle (again) from tip to root with a wide tooth comb.

Never wash your hair when you don't have the time to take your time.

Lastly, if shampoo is causing the tangles, consider cutting down shampooing and try conditioner washing. Also, make sure your conditioner is actually moisturizing.

*Not sure about the towel thing, but if it's making your hair rough, a tip I saw on youtube is to use a t-shirt (soft cotton) to dry your hair instead of a towel. HTH

Oliv3

Hiiiyeeee! The biggest help for me when I detangle is to use serums. Lately I've been using Paul Mitchell's The Detangler with The Conditioner. The latter is a moisturizing leave-in. I also detangle from tip to root.

thank you, hun. I will look into those products right now, and will remember to go from the tip to root. I usually do the opposite and will give it a go on my next DC day! :]

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I feel like the most important steps to detangling happens before you even put conditioner in your hair.

1. I usually comb through my dry hair really well to remove shed hair.
2. I shampoo in sections, and NEVER pile my hair on top of my head, or wash my hair upside down in a sink.
3. I wait until after I have deep-conditioned to detangle my wet hair. Once my hair has been rinsed, I add my leave-ins (which one of them has detangling properties) and then I start in the back of my head, in small sections, and carefully go through my hair with a wide tooth comb.

A few other pointers...

I use different sets of products depending on how many weeks post relaxer touch up I am. Ususally between weeks 1-5 post, I can get away with not using as many leave-ins, but after that my NG is so thick I have to use different products to get a comb through.

I have noticed that since I have started using a sulfate-free shampoo, my newgrowth is a lot easier to manage.

I always detangle from tip to root.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
This woman is natural but I still use a similar technique to wash then detangle my hair and I never have issues with the process.

I think that as long as your shampoo or conditioner provides slip, then brand or type doesn't matter. You just need something that helps the comb or brush slide through the hair.

Last edited:

Leesh

Hiya, I am relaxed and My method is, after I DC, as I'm rinsing out the actual DC I slightly add a cheap rinse out as I detangle, if needed, sometimes depending on the DC I use, I may not need any extra Conditioner, of course depending on how Good the slip is, but I always have it handy just in case My slippage is not right. LOL! HTH!

ETA: I also be sure My hair is combed thoroughly with a moisturizer, prior to the Wash Session, If You Pre-Poo, then thats Great, You can do it then.

Last edited:

LatterGlory

I use a seamless Bakelite bone rake comb on my dry hair and an ebonite seamless rake comb in the shower 95% or more of time I detangle my hair when it's full of conditoner and wet.

Oliv3

@ Solitude. first and foremost thanks for the post! Very informative!
I noticed is that I do not detangle untill after i wash out my DC, but I will def. give that a go and do it after I put it in.

I also realized that I would add my leave ins after I detangle. But by doing it before, that should create more slip like you said.( so basically i was detangling just my hair by itself. ugh.) Thanks for that important tip!

I do Co wash but I also feel like i need a "thicker" or "creamier" conditioner compared to my V05. I will check out Serums i can use in addition to my leave in.

belizean

I was once a Keracare fan but after a while it quits working for me. I would wash with shampoo and completely rinse out. If I remember right Keracare has sulfates which might be drying to the hair. I condition, DC and then use a leave in to help me detangle. Right now I am using Aloe mix with Castor oil and Oilve oil. If I have tangles I go back in the shower and condition with one of my stapels that I know softens and detangles.

Oliv3

I think i already found my main problem. I am detangling with nothing in my hair. I add my leave in AFTER i detangle which I just realized is silly because there is no slip or conditioner to help me as I go through the process. So i am combing my hair and its drying on me as I run a comb through it with nothing but water on it.
Also I found myself detangling root to tip so thats already going out the door. Now its from tip to root.

Man I love you girls!!! If anything I will invest in a creamy serum/moisturizer I can use with detangling properties to make this nightmare over.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm relaxed with fine strands too, and I find it most convenient to just keep tangles from even happening by washing in braids.
So before I wash, I comb out my hair completely, and remove any sheds. Then I put it in about six braids, and complete the rest of my regimen (shampoo, Protein, DC) with the braids in. When I take them out, there are virtually no tangles. Whatever tangles there are, I use a detangler, like Mane and Tail Spray or Kid's Organics Lotion, and they go right away.

hillytmj

Like many of the ladies have already said, I:
-Wash my hair under the bathtub faucet in sections (never piling hair on top of my head)
-Load hair up with conditioner (I mix oil in mine to give even more slip)
-I detangle with a wide tooth comb as I rinse the conditioner out.
-By this time, most tangles are gone and easy to get through before I begin rollersetting.

Best wishes!

goodmorningruby

*LONG(sorry)*
I have fine strands, I'm texlaxed and 6 days shy of 5 months post. Detangling can be daunting sometimes. But what I find helps me the most is doing everything in sections. This has made a world of difference.

When I do anything to my hair, there is always four sections (like quadrants, two in the back, two in the front) in my hair, but with at least three of the sections secured (at all times) and one left unsecured so I can work with it. I apply pre-poo to the "out" section, secure, unsecure the next section, apply, re-secure, move on to the next section and so on and so forth. I use a lot of oil for pre-pooing, which has also helped tremendously with detangling. Oil rinsing/pre-pooing is really good for detangling the hair, but since I have fine strands, I only do this before shampooing.

When I get to shampooing, I unsecure the section I'm going to work on, rinse under running warm water while I'm detangling with a wide tooth comb. I have a lot of slip at this point because of the oils and the running water, which makes the detangling very easy. I rinse, detangle, and resecure all of the sections. I take down one section, apply shampoo (while I'm "finger pad massaging" the scalp) secure, etc etc.

I rinse the shampoo out, section by section, resecuring every section after I'm done. I do one last quick rinse over the entire head while ALL sections are secured with ouchless, no damage bands, and proceed to DCing. I DC in the same manner, in sections, except I make really loose bantu knots out of the four sections without securing with bands when it's time to go under the heating cap. I rinse the DC out in sections too. Apply moisturizer and sealant, styling product, etc, whatever, in sections.

I realize this is a lot of banding and rebanding, but I am gentle, and don't make them tight at all. The sections are secured rather loosely. This is something that is saving me during this 6 month stretch. None of the hair is allowed to get tangled together outside of the small sections that I have made. I use a shampoo that does not make my hair dry, tangle or mat up. I have no breakage from this method. The hair I lose is all shed hair, which isn't much.

It helps to use products that give you a lot of slip. Keeping the hair sectioned off is highly recommended. Detangle from the ends of the hair, working your way up to the roots. Allow yourself some time to do a thorough job, and try not to get frustrated. If you work at an appropriate pace, and keep the hair from tangling in between washings, you will find detangling will get easier. Be gentle! HTH:yep:

Last edited:

Leesh

I think i already found my main problem. I am detangling with nothing in my hair. I add my leave in AFTER i detangle which I just realized is silly because there is no slip or conditioner to help me as I go through the process. So i am combing my hair and its drying on me as I run a comb through it with nothing but water on it.

Also I found myself detangling root to tip so thats already going out the door. Now its from tip to root.

Man I love you girls!!! If anything I will invest in a creamy serum/moisturizer I can use with detangling properties to make this nightmare over.

You got it Girlfriend, thats what the slipperiness (is that a actual word? LOL!) of conditioner is for, to get that comb through!
You will be OK now!

Last edited:

Leesh

I'm relaxed with fine strands too, and I find it most convenient to just keep tangles from even happening by washing in braids.
So before I wash, I comb out my hair completely, and remove any sheds. Then I put it in about six braids, and complete the rest of my regimen (shampoo, Protein, DC) with the braids in. When I take them out, there are virtually no tangles. Whatever tangles there are, I use a detangler, like Mane and Tail Spray or Kid's Organics Lotion, and they go right away.

Chaos, That is such a Darn Good Idea, Thanks!

Last edited:

sharifeh

Great thread, I still haven't started using sections and I know I need to. I just frustrated with all the clips and stuff...
But I need the pressure of the water and a slippery conditioner to detangle. It is daunting though...I also finger detangle a bit first too before taking the comb to it.