How many times a week do you oil your scalp?

How often do you oil your scalp

• 1x a week

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • 2 or more times a week

Votes: 76 42.5%
  • 1x a month

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • never

Votes: 74 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sherbetcane

2 times a week with permea plus anti sal hair oil. In the evenings i massage it into my scalp then do my regularly co wash in the morning. i co wash twice a week and shampoo and deep condition once a week.

Solitude

Never. Oily scalp was the reason why I suffered from dandruff for so many years.

Essential oils for pre-pooing are okay, but I don't do that anymore, either. Keeping my scalp as clean as possible is the best thing for me. I do my scalp massages on dry hair or while conditioning.

winnettag

I used to oil and massage my scalp every other day with mahabhringaraj oil, but I got lazy.
Now, I'm going to try to massage my scalp 2x week with a mahabhringaraj oil & megatek mixture.

ETA: Oh yea, I just bought my first bottle of JBCO, so I'll try oiling with that sometimes too.

Last edited:

Anna9764

I've been trying 2 get back in the habit of doing this with jbco to help in thickness and my edges....

I know a lot of ppl look down on oiling but I dont see why...to me its no different then applying a growth aid 2 ur scalp...

I'm sure most of us as kids had that mineral crap all up in our scalp sooo whats sooo different now...Not saying 2 use that stuff but usuing a natural oil on the scalp for stimualtion or dryness is ok....IMO

I agree SimplyBlessed, What some don't do...works well for others! Wanted to comment on that mineral crap when we were kids....Our hair was also a lot healthier then too!! I like something in my scalp (mostly JBCO and others and also a good leave-in on my hair, when it's dry I can hear it snap. Sincerly Anna

SvelteVelvet

I wasn't sure how to vote. The only time I oil my scalp is when I'm using BT. When I'm not using BT I don't oil my scalp at all. I haven't used BT in about two years. Just starting up again for a few months, so it'll be every other day.

Ms_CoCo37

Since I co-wash frequently, I would say I oil every other day. I'll usually use Bee Mine Mango Serum, Vatika & Amla oil. I'll usually rotate betweem the three.

Although my hair makes its own oil, it seems to be enjoying the oil treatments.

carib_n_curly

i don't do it much
i realised the reaons why i had so many issues with my scalp when i first started looking after my hair is because i have very oily scalp and it does not like stuff on it. my build up was crazy when i used MT i had to quit using it

fyb87

I don't oil my scalp. Never have. I do apply oil to my hair. Just not on my scalp. I always got the feeling that my scalp would feel :perplexed dirty if I applied anything to it.

NaturallyMo

I've never been one to sit down and oil my scalp. But I'm fairly new to haircare, so maybe I'm missing out. My scalp never seems dry or itchy so I just leave well enough alone.

shocol

A couple of times a year, if I'm not being lazy, or I just want to anyway. Ever since I joined LHCF and learned how to take care of my hair, I don't have scalp issues (dandruff, dry, itchy) anymore. I only oil my scalp if I want to, but I don't need to.

anon123

I don't put anything on my scalp except shampoo. Not oil, not even conditioner. Anything left on my scalp makes it itchy.

trenise

In the recent past, I did not oil my scalp. Over the past two or three weeks I have been oiling my scalp at least once a week with a Vatika coconut oil mix just to see if I can complete a growth challenge by the end of the year.

Nouvelle

1-2x a week. I use JBCO diluted with coconut oil in an applicator bottle and apply it to my micro braids.

Vintageglam

I am trying to fill in my edges so I oil just my edges twice a week (the day before wash day). I then wash the oils out the next day. Whilst I am not a big fan of oiling the scalp I feel that my edges need extra care right now...

lesedi

All is well with me
I oil my scalp around 3 times a week with castor oil (am on the Hairlista.inc Castor Oil challenge)

Last edited:

allthingshair

Never. I only apply oils ( coconut, jojoba, vitika, alma) to my hair, but never my scalp. I do oil my daugher's hair though. I think that is because my mom applied oil to mine when I was a child. She is 3 with almost APL stretched and just above shoulder unstretched. To be honest it has not hindered either of our growth patterns.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Never. I used to, but I remember complaining to my stylist that I was tired of my hair being oily all the time. She told me to stop oiling my scalp and I was like...:perplexed. She told me that it doesn't hurt to try it, and I could always go back to oiling if needed. Well, that was over ten years ago and I haven't gone back to oiling my scalp once. I would've still been going to that stylist if she wasn't so dang scissor happy!

ellebelle88

Is this thread more-so intended for naturals? Because as a relaxed head, I don't find the need to oil. If I oiled, my hair would be greasy in no time because the scalp produces its own oil. But I have heard that for naturals, this is harder because the kinks in the hair make it harder for the natural oils to travel down the hair.

Are there many relaxed women in hair oiling their scalp?