Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Re: Can "Heat Trained" 4b natural hair grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlove View Post
Ladies,

Heat Trained: Hair that has been straightened and has lost the original tight 4b pattern. It is usually easier to press and straighten with hair like this.

After repeated once a week straightening for 2 months, my old nappy 4b hair has changed...My curl has loosed. It looks like 3 something hair. To be honest with you, I like it. From what I've read here on the board, my hair has been reconstructed. The heat loosened the bonds of my hair and it is somewhat heat processed.

I'm wondering if my hair will eventually start to break off like
over processed relaxed hair.

If you have experienced this and are able to retain length...
ENCOURAGE ME please.

BTW: I really want to keep pressing weekly because my DD does not like my medium size afro and my father said I look like I'm on welfare when I wear my natural. He says"that's not a good look on you".
I'm sure it can grow if you keep it conditioned, every week might be too much, only time can tell. Also, if you want to press your hair every week then you should do it because you like it and not because folks are insulting you into doing so, that's just sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisana For This Useful Post:
Cisselette (12-26-2010), nzeee (12-26-2010)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlove View Post
Ladies,

Heat Trained: Hair that has been straightened and has lost the original tight 4b pattern. It is usually easier to press and straighten with hair like this.

After repeated once a week straightening for 2 months, my old nappy 4b hair has changed...My curl has loosed. It looks like 3 something hair. To be honest with you, I like it. From what I've read here on the board, my hair has been reconstructed. The heat loosened the bonds of my hair and it is somewhat heat processed.

I'm wondering if my hair will eventually start to break off like
over processed relaxed hair.

If you have experienced this and are able to retain length...
ENCOURAGE ME please.

BTW: I really want to keep pressing weekly because my DD does not like my medium size afro and my father said I look like I'm on welfare when I wear my natural. He says"that's not a good look on you".
my father said I look like I'm on welfare when I wear my natural:funny:
Old 01-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalgurl View Post
my father said I look like I'm on welfare when I wear my natural:funny:
I don't get that. Everyone I've ever known who is on welfare always has the flyest weaves/wigs/braids etc.

Actually, I've never seen anyone rocking their natural hair in the county building aside from myself. And they all look at me crazy, like I'm the one with the problem.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
bride91501 (12-26-2010), Cisselette (12-26-2010), ckisland (12-26-2010), dyh080 (12-26-2010), nappystorm (12-26-2010), retroflash (01-02-2011), trackstar (12-26-2010)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had awful breakage from heat damage ( i know a lot of people on LHCF don't take heat damage seriously because of a few examples on board) but my hair was awful. I upped my hair treatments, used great products. To no avail, it just kept breaking and breaking. It had to go.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanked 29,674 Times in 8,501 Posts
Mentioned: 4453 Post(s)
Tagged: 68 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa View Post
With heat straightened hair you have to keep up with the rest of your regimen. Most of the naturals I see on here only use heat on freshly washed and deep conditioned hair with a heat protectant. In order to retain length while using heat you have to really baby your hair.
The bolded above is what my hairdresser told me. She said that as long as you straighten ONLY freshly shampooed and conditioned hair, you won't have a problem with breakage or thinning ends.

She also said that you should never touch up your style at home after three days...no curling irons or flat irons after the hair has gone for three days without being washed.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanked 5,840 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)
Question Re: Can "Heat Trained" 4b natural hair grow?

OP, did your hair lose its natural curl pattern due to flat ironing very often or just a few times but at a very high temperature?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)

can heat trained hair "retain"

The Following User Says Thank You to GoingNatural For This Useful Post:
pookaloo83 (12-26-2010)
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Thanked 4,682 Times in 611 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

Heat trained hair can and will grow. I went to a salon to get my 4b natural hair pressed and curled with a hot comb and curling iron every two weeks from 8th through 10th grade. My hair never broke, it was always extra straight/full/thick/shiny/strong... grew to a nice length...always got a barrage of compliments...folks not believeing that i could get my hair that straight w/out a perm yadda yadda yadda.

HOWEVER...please believe me when I say that my natural texture was obliterated. If you like the look of certain natural hair styles (twists, coils, uniform wash and go's, puffs) say goodbye to those options if you consistently press your hair over a long period of time. These styles will NOT look the same post heat stretched/trained/damaged hair.

If you never plan on wearing your natural texture, and prefer straight hair, then this may be the route to go. I for one have vowed to never let a pressing comb touch my tresses again bc i refuse to rock a puff where half of my hair is straight, a fourth of it is wavy, and a fourth of it is kinky, LOL.

Also, keep in mind that i never pressed my hair myself. I faithfully went to a hairdresser who deep conditioned my hair, knew when the comb was too hot to place on the hair, and used certain products.

All of the natural girls i knew who ever pressed their hair always had midback length or longer hair...these were black girls...4b hair type.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

When I was younger I had heat trained hair and it grew to BSL length with blue magic hair grease, pressing comb, and my mother washing my hair every two weeks. It can be done just only press your hair every two weeks not every week and it should be fine. My hair fell out once I got a perm when I was 13 from a shop. Boy did I cry!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Tagged: 30 Thread(s)

After reading about Taren loosing her curl pattern on youtube and on a thread here on lhcf, I wanted to revisit this thread to encourage myself and others.

To date: I am APL - well last 2 inches in the back and my hair is thriving. My hair continues to retain length and I only press twice (b day and Christmas holidays )a year, no more than 4.

Thank you ladies.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Yep . I know plently of girls with that hair type who do the press and curl routine once a month with long hair. It depends on your hair type and what works for your hair.

They ususally use some type of rollers or wraps tho and keep the heat down to once a month.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to retain heat trained hair. My hair breaks easily.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanked 2,451 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
The bolded above is what my hairdresser told me. She said that as long as you straighten ONLY freshly shampooed and conditioned hair, you won't have a problem with breakage or thinning ends.

She also said that you should never touch up your style at home after three days...no curling irons or flat irons after the hair has gone for three days without being washed.
Yes, this is what I was taught as a child. You do not apply heat to hair unless it is freshly washed unless you want to go bald.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Thanked 2,451 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebettye View Post
When I was younger I had heat trained hair and it grew to BSL length with blue magic hair grease, pressing comb, and my mother washing my hair every two weeks. It can be done just only press your hair every two weeks not every week and it should be fine. My hair fell out once I got a perm when I was 13 from a shop. Boy did I cry!!!
Brucebettye
what did your mother do to your hair nightly?