Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Weave and Braid wearers: How do you keep your hairline intact???

I would love to wear weaves and/or braids for the next 6 months to give my hair a break; however, I'm a little scared.

EVERYTIME, I get my hair braided or weaved I end up with hairline damage. For example, I recently took out a weave out my hair and noticed it thin my edges something terrible .

I've tried everything like using growth serums on my edges whilst in braids/weaves and I make sure to tell my stylists not to braid too tight. I really think my hairline just doesn't like tension in any form.

If you have any advice or techniques you'd like to share do tell.....

TIA

Last edited by IntelligenceisBeautiful; 09-23-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Thanked 25,418 Times in 7,661 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 152 Thread(s)
Default Re: Weave and Braid wearers: How do you keep your hairline in tact???

My advice is: (1) to make sure they use LESS hair for each section than the thickness of that section; (2) to make sure the hair is not pulled tight when extensions are added; and (3) to make sure that you get the hairline redone AS SOON as it gets loose, whether from sliding extension hair or from new growth. <---This I believe is the biggest mistake people make. And it is for that reason that I encourage people to learn to do their own braids because not only can they control how tightly they are done along the hairline, but they can touch them up as soon as necessary.

If you cannot do your own braids, then perhaps go for bangs like I had? That is, twist your own hair at the front without extensions, and that way you can maintain its neatness while not having to worry about damage from the strain of additional hair. If you make the bangs the same thickness as the braids, they don't look bad:

And if your hair isn't long enough for them to hang down low enough to your liking after a wash (I used to wet mine and let them drip dry so they'd hang down properly), you can put them in rollers when they are wet to stretch and dry in a curvy shape that you can sweep to the side or just let them hang down. Kinda like how I did my twists here, only you'll do it to the bangs. Even a do with the curls raised at the front the way mine were, ie not necessarily hanging over the forehead, can look good, particularly with an updo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nonie For This Useful Post:
SleepyJean (08-02-2012), WhippedButterCreme (10-14-2012)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,411 Times in 853 Posts
Mentioned: 427 Post(s)
Tagged: 38 Thread(s)
Default Re: Weave and Braid wearers: How do you keep your hairline intact???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelligenceisBeautiful View Post
I would love to wear weaves and/or braids for the next 6 months to give my hair a break; however, I'm a little scared.

EVERYTIME, I get my hair braided or weaved I end up with hairline damage. For example, I recently took out a weave out my hair and noticed it thin my edges something terrible .

I've tried everything like using growth serums on my edges whilst in braids/weaves and I make sure to tell my stylists not to braid too tight. I really think my hairline just doesn't like tension in any form.

TIA

Totally agree with your fears and/or concerns. My solution was to just buckle down and learn to braid my hair on my own. I went to Robin's growafrolong.com site and just watched that "how to braid" video to death. I watched it over and over and over, while practicing on my own head over an over and over. Eventually I got it right. And with each take down and wash, my technique gets better and better.

It was my only option since I blatantly REFUSED to have any stylist apply braids for me ever agian. I was already bitten by that bug, and it wasn't pretty!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanked 1,821 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)

Everytime I get braids or weave, I usually am not pleased & take it down within 24 hours. However, I've decided that I want a certain length by my 35th b-day next year so I'm going to buckle down & wear sew-ins from now until then.

Since people use OCT/MT to regrow edges, I'm planning to use these products to preserve my edges. I'm also thinking about leaving hair out as well so there is little to no tension on my edges. HTH...
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've had Senegalese twists a couple of months ago and I have micros in currently. I always make sure that they don't braid too tight and I always put either Sulfur 8 or BT around my edges everyday. I also make sure that my hairline gets extra moisture. I haven't had any problems yet with my hairline. Oh yeah, prayer helps too. I always ask God to look after my edges when I am in braids. Sounds vain but I don't care.

eta: I get my hairline rebraided every couple of weeks. You don't want loose braids hanging around your edges.

Last edited by BeetleBug; 09-23-2008 at 09:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeetleBug For This Useful Post:
curlyTisME (09-27-2012), WhippedButterCreme (10-14-2012)
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM

We must be hairline twins, because I have the exact same problem. I swore by sew-ins, I had a new install the first of every other month. I tried to keep my hairline intact, but it never worked for me. I have just learned to not cause ANY stress on that area of my hair for now..
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanked 5,564 Times in 821 Posts
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

I've never had problems with weaves thinning my hairline, and I'm always wearing a sew-in. I just usually dont' have the stylist braid the small hair around my hairline to prevent any damage.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,134 Posts
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Change the style of the braid, try to style the hair forward i.e. with bangs or swooped forward it stops the tension pulling the hair out HTH

Protein is my BFF
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Conditioner Junkie

Thanked 1,634 Times in 566 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)

I have my stylist braid my edges not as tight as the rest of my hair and that has really saved my edges..
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I have her leave the front out and she just braids the rest down in vertical braids. I can't make a ponytail, but my edges are okay. I'm in a weave now and will be until the end of October. Well that's if mega-tek will allow that.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

dont do them too tight
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM

I braid my hair myself and i hate loose braids so they're always tight. I use growth aids so by the end of that week they aren't tight anymore but they still look good. my hair grows before my edges have a chance to pop.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Thanked 6,221 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)
Default Re: Weave and Braid wearers: How do you keep your hairline intact???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelligenceisBeautiful View Post

TIA

You need to tell them not to braid/pull so tight. That's all you really can do. Many times you tell them that and then they do what they want anyway or tell you it has to be tight for the style to stay in. I've been wearing weaves for maybe the past 5 years or so with no problems with the edges coming out. I had one weave that was too tight about 2 years ago and it was a few days after I bced so I think she just didn't have enough hair to braid in some spots and pulled it. I lost a lot of hair when I took it out a month later and it hurt like hell for a week. Never again.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie View Post
My advice is: (1) to make sure they use LESS hair for each section than the thickness of that section; (2) to make sure the hair is not pulled tight when extensions are added; and (3) to make sure that you get the hairline redone AS SOON as it gets loose, whether from sliding extension hair or from new growth. <---This I believe is the biggest mistake people make. And it is for that reason that I encourage people to learn to do their own braids because not only can they control how tightly they are done along the hairline, but they can touch them up as soon as necessary.

If you cannot do your own braids, then perhaps go for bangs like I had? That is, twist your own hair at the front without extensions, and that way you can maintain its neatness while not having to worry about damage from the strain of additional hair. If you make the bangs the same thickness as the braids, they don't look bad:

And if your hair isn't long enough for them to hang down low enough to your liking after a wash (I used to wet mine and let them drip dry so they'd hang down properly), you can put them in rollers when they are wet to stretch and dry in a curvy shape that you can sweep to the side or just let them hang down. Kinda like how I did my twists here, only you'll do it to the bangs. Even a do with the curls raised at the front the way mine were, ie not necessarily hanging over the forehead, can look good, particularly with an updo.
Is this true for weaves as well? I just got my first install and the woman said one of the reasons people loose hair is because their cornrows are too small. She say they make them so small so that it lays flatter. I have a natural style weave so I am no worried about it laying super flat and asked her to do them slightly bigger as to avoid any unneeded stress. Was this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakialovesshoes View Post
Everytime I get braids or weave, I usually am not pleased & take it down within 24 hours. However, I've decided that I want a certain length by my 35th b-day next year so I'm going to buckle down & wear sew-ins from now until then.

Since people use OCT/MT to regrow edges, I'm planning to use these products to preserve my edges. I'm also thinking about leaving hair out as well so there is little to no tension on my edges. HTH...
Are you getting a full head or a partial? Do your find that the hair left out grows as much? The next time I get a weave I am thinking about asking her to cornrow up the all of my hair but leave the braid around the hair line unattached...or maybe just in one or two spots. I feel like because of the style I can get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothair View Post
Change the style of the braid, try to style the hair forward i.e. with bangs or swooped forward it stops the tension pulling the hair out HTH
This is a realy go idea. What other patterns are there for weaves besides the behive one?
2010/2011 Challenges: Personal Crown & Glory Challenge 08/09/09-08/11 COMPLETED, Lose Less Hair Detangling Challenge COMPLETED & EXTENDED, and Water Challenge FAIL. 2011/2012 Challenges: 6 Month Vitamin Challenge & Crown & Glory Challenge for 2012.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks for your replies ladies, I'm going to print this thread and read it over. I'm gioving my edges a break for another six weeks and will incorporate your suggestions in my next install.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanked 25,418 Times in 7,661 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 152 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw45 View Post
Quote:
to make sure they use LESS hair for each section than the thickness of that section
Is this true for weaves as well? I just got my first install and the woman said one of the reasons people loose hair is because their cornrows are too small. She say they make them so small so that it lays flatter. I have a natural style weave so I am no worried about it laying super flat and asked her to do them slightly bigger as to avoid any unneeded stress. Was this correct?
I don't know much about weaves...but it probably could be true of them as well. Perhaps drop DSD or other weave experts a PM on that. Do let me know too, coz now I'm curious myself.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I tried a weave for only two and half weeks and noticed my hairline thinned. However, I have wore braids consistently in the past and not noticed thinning. I think I may go back to them.
2010/2011 Challenges: Personal Crown & Glory Challenge 08/09/09-08/11 COMPLETED, Lose Less Hair Detangling Challenge COMPLETED & EXTENDED, and Water Challenge FAIL. 2011/2012 Challenges: 6 Month Vitamin Challenge & Crown & Glory Challenge for 2012.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM

I think this is one of my main reasons for braiding without extensions. I'm just getting over a faulty hairline.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

O.k. I don't really have problems in the front or sides...it's the nape of my neck. My wig (the combs) did it, and it's growing back, but slowly.

I'm in a weave now, but I use WGO on this area every two-three days before I go to bed. In the morning I use organix coconut anti break serum (just a tiny bit). I also sleep with my bonnet inside out, so that the band doesn't pull on my hair.

I've noticed that with this afro install, the bonnet hooks in underneath the bottom weft, and when I wake up, the bonnet has pulled the weft ALLLLL the way up (imagine taking off a sweater, and how your hair lifts up as you slide the sweater over your head. The first time it happened, some of my tiny hairs got caught and pulled out! So I started sleeping with a bonnet over 3/4 my head and a scarf tied around the bottom half.

I have a big head.

Oh, and try not to handle the new growth so much if you can help it. I have a bad habit of twirling the hair at my nape on my finger.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with the bolded.

That is one of the things I loved the most about braiding my own hair; I could make it look fresh whenever I needed. Also, I learned to keep my edges in tact by using Nonie's techiniques for years.

But what I found that worked better for my edges, was to do this. And this may not be something that a stylist is willing to do: When braiding the edges, pull some of the hairs out. This is for the braids are on the sides, cause that is where the hairline is the most thin and sensitive. I would brush the edges down with a wet (with water) toothbrush. And use a pomade (or you can use beeswax) to hold the hair down while you braid. And to keep that neat look when wearing ponytails, or hair pulled back, I would use gel to hold and smooth my edges.

When I took out my braids the last time I wore it, I had all my edges. With these methods you'll be able to maintain your edges.