MHM Hangout

faithVA

Hi ladies!
I've been using this method since cutting my hair off last summer. I have yet to reach max hydration, however, I don't do the method every 3 days. I have two questions: when using the clay why does my hair feel like there's a layer of film on it? What can I do about my roots at my crown being frizzy? Lastly, I don't know my hair type and I think I have low porosity hair. Attached picture is leave in and oil. I usually apply kc gel but I was too lazy today. Tia.
You probably need to expose your hair to water more about often to get rid of the frizz. Your hair has a high level of hydration but without the consistency of water its not reaching max hydration. As far as the clay what is your recipe? How long do you leave it on? And what are you sealing with?

faithVA

Would this benefit a long term transitioner? I'm only 14 weeks in but that new growth is super dry. I'm wondering would it be too much moisture for the permed hair and cause it too break off.

Yes it would. I think honeybee is transitioning and someone else just posted.

trebell

You probably need to expose your hair to water more about often to get rid of the frizz. Your hair has a high level of hydration but without the consistency of water its not reaching max hydration. As far as the clay what is your recipe? How long do you leave it on? And what are you sealing with?
At first I was using just clay and water. Next I tried clay, water and acv. I've been following "DanaBNatural" on YouTube for a low porosity mix. I used a cup of clay, 2 tbsp of olive oil and honey with water. Last time it didn't leave a film. But if I don't use approximates it'll feel filmy. I seal with a castor oil mix, or jojoba oil. I think I am aloe Vera juice and protein sensitive.

faithVA

At first I was using just clay and water. Next I tried clay, water and acv. I've been following "DanaBNatural" on YouTube for a low porosity mix. I used a cup of clay, 2 tbsp of olive oil and honey with water. Last time it didn't leave a film. But if I don't use approximates it'll feel filmy. I seal with a castor oil mix, or jojoba oil. I think I am aloe Vera juice and protein sensitive.

OK. Well it sounds like you have an idea of what it is. It sounds like you are using bentonite which can be hard for low porosity heads to get right. If you choose to keep using it then you just have to keep tweaking it to get it right. The combination of oil and honey are probably what's leaving a film. After you apply the clay and work it through try dipping your hand in warm water and finger combing through each section to smooth out the clay consistency.

faithVA

faithVA what's your castle soap cleansing recipe? How often do you use BS??

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

I do about 3 oz of conditioner, 1 tbsp of castille soap and water to make it whatever consistency I feel like being bothered with that particular day.

I don't have any particular schedule for the baking soda. Its probably like once every two or three weeks.

I use a heavy butter on my hair because I wear twist. If I used gel I might be prone to do bs more often. Not sure.

faithVA

In did the full regi tonight with clct. As usual I didn't see anything fabulous with the clct. I won't do another one until the end of February.

I'm wondering if the conditioner I use for step 2 is causing my lack of definition in step 3 or if I have to consistently levlave the clay on for 2 hours. Next weekend I will use the same conditioner but leave the clay on longer to narrow it down.

deborah11

In did the full regi tonight with clct. As usual I didn't see anything fabulous with the clct. I won't do another one until the end of February.

I'm wondering if the conditioner I use for step 2 is causing my lack of definition in step 3 or if I have to consistently levlave the clay on for 2 hours. Next weekend I will use the same conditioner but leave the clay on longer to narrow it down.

What conditioner do you use for step 2? Do you dilute your step 2 conditioner?

hairtimes5

What's your recipe and how long are you leaving it on?

If you like your hair the way it is without clay then there is no reason to use the clay. It sounds like you would be fine with just a regular curly girl method. Is there a reason why you are doing mhm?

I've been using Terresentials since the beginning of December. I'm doing MHM because I'm low porosity.

hairtimes5

I'm always taking pictures to post on here but I never end up doing it. It would be so much easier if I could just attach them from my phone but I can't. Anyway, the first two are my wng today. I hate taking selfies. I had to take about 10 to get these two and they aren't even all that decent. The last pic is my post-partum shedding hair growing back in curly. Just noticed that about a week ago.
ETA: my eyebrows look a mess, please don't judge :nono:

Attachments

• 20150125_141732.jpg
    20150125_141732.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150125_165214.jpg
    20150125_165214.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20150124_085940.jpg
    20150124_085940.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

faithVA

What conditioner do you use for step 2? Do you dilute your step 2 conditioner?

It varies. I use curls ecstasy, Jessicurl aloeba, Jessicurl DC, or the other Jessicurl which I can't remember the name of. I also use naturelle grow conditioners.

I have done both diluted and straight. I usually dilute if I am doing more of a cowash and out the DC on undiluted.

faithVA

I've been using Terresentials since the beginning of December. I'm doing MHM because I'm low porosity.

Terressentials is bentonite so it can be drying. How long do you leave it on?

What are you trying to get mhm to do for your hair? You don't need to do mhm just because your low porosity.

Honey Bee

Would this benefit a long term transitioner? I'm only 14 weeks in but that new growth is super dry. I'm wondering would it be too much moisture for the permed hair and cause it too break off.

Yes it would. I think honeybee is transitioning and someone else just posted.

@cherryhair123, I wouldn't do it if I were you (for the reasons you stated). Of course, it depends both on the health and the qualities of your relaxed hair but mine was highly porous, fine, and ready to snap off at the slightest breeze no matter what I tried. :nono: Due to the fragility of my hair, I trimmed every 4-6 wks at the beginning of my transition. At this point, I have very little relaxed hair remaining. If you look at the pics I posted here, you'll see that there's barely any left, just a few wisps here and there, but that hair is tenuously hanging on. :look:

Also, I've never really been strict with the MHM. I do all the steps, but not nearly as often as you're supposed to, I've only used BS twice iirc, I don't use the proper products, I still shampoo ocasionally, I use protein... :blah:. I'm pretty much using the MHM as a template for my regimen. Once I'm fully natural, that may change.

Last edited:

hairtimes5

Terressentials is bentonite so it can be drying. How long do you leave it on?

What are you trying to get mhm to do for your hair? You don't need to do mhm just because your low porosity.

Even though Terresentials is made with bentonite, my hair feels the same as when I use rhassoul. Bentonite by itself though, not good. I was sleeping in the clay but only because I was doing my hair at night and I would get tired at that step. Now I leave it on long enough to scrub my scalp and then I rinse. My hair feels the same both ways, my curls are just more elongated when using overnight. I think I may discontinue that step. Not altogether, since I have 4 large bottles of Terresentials left, but doing it maybe once or twice a month as step 1.

You're right, I may not need to do MHM but I definitely plan to continue doing Cherry Lola treatments and using castile in my conditioner, as these things make a huge difference in my hair. Thanks, you're very helpful.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
It varies. I use curls ecstasy, Jessicurl aloeba, Jessicurl DC, or the other Jessicurl which I can't remember the name of. I also use naturelle grow conditioners.

I have done both diluted and straight. I usually dilute if I am doing more of a cowash and out the DC on undiluted.

^^^this here is wherin lies my problem when DC. I need to use a DC undiluted because as it is, I don't think its conditioning enough post BS wash and stripping again during step 3.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Can someone suggest a regimen for 2nd/3rd day hair? I have a TWA and when I wake up in the morning I have serious helmet head. Spritzing with water seems to make my hair more dry even if I put an approved cream moisturizer on to to seal. Plus any type of movement to apply the moisturizer disturbs my curls and destroy definition. Any tips??

faithVA

Hey Faith I believe i'm at the just starting to clump phase:yep:

Here she is almost dry with KCKT and pink Eco:
[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Discodumpling/media/20150123_115844_zpso5yzqczg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Discodumpling/20150123_115844_zpso5yzqczg.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Discodumpling/media/20150123_115850_zpscto1y9j4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Discodumpling/20150123_115850_zpscto1y9j4.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

I'm excited to see what my hair will do after 7 days of focused hydration! Today is day 2 and i'm DCing right now:yep:

Finally got to see your pics up close. No you are much further along than I am.

deborah11

^^^this here is wherin lies my problem when DC. I need to use a DC undiluted because as it is, I don't think its conditioning enough post BS wash and stripping again during step 3.

I started using the undiluted deep conditioner a couple of weeks ago and my hair is definitely the better for it. My hair was soooo dry but now if feels like it is coming around. I still dilute the leave in followed by creamy leave in. I don't use Leave-in gel step.

I alsp stopped using the TGTT because it did not moisturized m hair enough but I loved how it made my scalp feel. Too bad!

faithVA

I'm always taking pictures to post on here but I never end up doing it. It would be so much easier if I could just attach them from my phone but I can't. Anyway, the first two are my wng today. I hate taking selfies. I had to take about 10 to get these two and they aren't even all that decent. The last pic is my post-partum shedding hair growing back in curly. Just noticed that about a week ago.
ETA: my eyebrows look a mess, please don't judge :nono:

You need to resize your pictures to about 320 to attach them by phone.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I started using the undiluted deep conditioner a couple of weeks ago and my hair is definitely the better for it. My hair was soooo dry but now if feels like it is coming around. I still dilute the leave in followed by creamy leave in. I don't use Leave-in gel step.

I alsp stopped using the TGTT because it didde not moisturized m hair enough but I loved how it made my scalp feel. Too bad!

Thank you deborah11 what are you using to DC ?

faithVA

There isn't an issue with using undiluted DC for conditioning. Just play around with it and see what works for you. You will find as your hair hydrates more than you can dilute the conditioners and they will still work. I think you will also find that as you use the rhassuol that your hair won't feel stripped on that step. And if your hair feels stripped with step 1, you may be using too much baking soda or leaving it on too long.

Just continue tweaking the regimen for your hair.

faithVA

Can someone suggest a regimen for 2nd/3rd day hair? I have a TWA and when I wake up in the morning I have serious helmet head. Spritzing with water seems to make my hair more dry even if I put an approved cream moisturizer on to to seal. Plus any type of movement to apply the moisturizer disturbs my curls and destroy definition. Any tips??

Have you tried baggying at night?

hairtimes5

When I spritz my hair it makes mine dry too. I wonder if its because I'm low po the water doesn't penetrate my strands but evaporates quickly. I read somewhere about adding a little heat so now I spritz with a conditioner and water mix and I use the blow dryer on the warm setting for about a minute or two and it seems to work.

faithVA

When I spritz my hair it makes mine dry too. I wonder if its because I'm low po the water doesn't penetrate my strands but evaporates quickly. I read somewhere about adding a little heat so now I spritz with a conditioner and water mix and I use the blow dryer on the warm setting for about a minute or two and it seems to work.

I also have this same problem. I will give the blow dryer a try.

I have also found that if I make sure my spritz is more ph balanced it works better. But I haven't played around with it enough to be sure.

Smiley79

I think I'm gonna lay off the Bentonite Clay for a minute. I'll finish using the jar and then give Rhassoul clay a try. I love the clumping effect very much, but I think the baking soda and then bentonite clay is just a bit too much for my hair lately.

Is anyone using Giovanni direct 50/50 clarifyer for their step 1? If anything I'll just go back to ACV.

trebell

I also have this same problem. I will give the blow dryer a try. I have also found that if I make sure my spritz is more ph balanced it works better. But I haven't played around with it enough to be sure.

For low porosity I hear that warming up products help. So even if you don't use s blow dryer just use warm water, moisture and condish. I warm my stuff up now and put a shower cap on for a couple of mins. But, my hair is short. I'm sure when it gets longer I'll be singing another tune

faithVA

For low porosity I hear that warming up products help. So even if you don't use s blow dryer just use warm water, moisture and condish. I warm my stuff up now and put a shower cap on for a couple of mins. But, my hair is short. I'm sure when it gets longer I'll be singing another tune

I'm thinking I have tried that but it has been a while. I will have to try it again. I've done so many things over the years I eventually just gave up. I just don't wet my hair between washes.

Smiley79

Random question: So if a low porosity natural doesn't follow this method or use the recommended products, is the key to simply make sure that the hair strands are cleansed of build-up prior to applying conditioner and/or leave-in?

faithVA

Random question: So if a low porosity natural doesn't follow this method or use the recommended products, is the key to simply make sure that the hair strands are cleansed of build-up prior to applying conditioner and/or leave-in?

That while also not doing anything to dry the hair out.

Smiley79

Thanks faithVA

After all that I have learned with this method, the funniest thing happned yesterday...I was watching one of my favorite Natural YT vloggers, known for her successful hair journey, her love for gels and wash and go's and her use of conditioner only, never uses shampoo. I started to see her videos from a different viewpoint now and thought to myself, wow, she never has to remove the buildup of her gel and products like the way we do with this method. It makes me really realize how natural hair is truly an individual experience and differs from person to person. (I hope this makes sense)