TWA Support Thread

Mz.MoMo5235

I had that issue with the last braids I wore. I didn't even keep them in a week. :nono: My scalp felt like fire ants were crawling on it and biting me. :nono: That's when I decided I would never get braids (with fake hair added) ever again.

YES! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I FEEL LIKE! IT'S BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK!

I'm mad cause chick did a good job. Like it's one thing if the braids were too tight. Then I could be mad at the braider lol

I really think I'm taking them out today. I dont think I can deal.

I want to get twists done but not sure what type of hair to use now :'(

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

faithVA

YES! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I FEEL LIKE! IT'S BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK!

I'm mad cause chick did a good job. Like it's one thing if the braids were too tight. Then I could be mad at the braider lol

I really think I'm taking them out today. I dont think I can deal.

I want to get twists done but not sure what type of hair to use now :'(

Did you wash and ACV rinse the hair before you installed it? I'm sorry if you answered this upthread. I didn't check.

Mz.MoMo5235

Did you wash and ACV rinse the hair before you installed it? I'm sorry if you answered this upthread. I didn't check.

Girl no and I'm kicking my self now for not. But I did soak my braids earlier today in acv plus I washed it and rubbed witch hazel on my scalp.

My scalp is still angry. Not sure how long I should wait to see if it improves or not

faithVA

[USER=95107 said:
Mz.MoMo5235[/USER];20716485]Girl no and I'm kicking my self now for not. But I did soak my braids earlier today in acv plus I washed it and rubbed witch hazel on my scalp.

My scalp is still angry. Not sure how long I should wait to see if it improves or not

Since you just did it today, you might want to give it a day. Did you spray acv on your scalp? If not you might want to make a diluted mix and spritz on your scalp. Maybe mix a little AVG/AVJ and acv with water and try that. If you have some vitamin E oil you may want to add a little of that to the mix.

Hopefully washing it will help and your scalp will calm down.

almond eyes

I am going to research if there is any way to dress up a twa. :lol: I wish I could "style" it somehow. :ohwell:

It's hard to do so. I just try and focus on making my make up look nice and my skin fresh and look feminine. I find that I have to apply tons of product outside the shower so that when my hair hits air it won't shrink like mad and look dry.

I am so careful about too much manipulation on my hair. I tried to use hair combs on my hair and when I pulled them out gently, I saw a bit of hair on the comb so never again.

Thank God winter is coming!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Mz.MoMo5235

Braids are out. Scalp and back of ears swollen and tender. Hives on scalp and back of neck.

Next time I'm using human hair and making sure it's thoroughly washed before putting in. Going to wait a few weeks though before trying again.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Mz.MoMo5235 sorry to hear that happened. Take some Benadryl and get some hydrocortisone cream to put on your neck and ears. I wouldn't put on scalp. You may want to go to a dermatologist. You should come back to the fall/winter wash n go challenge. I hope you feel better soon.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Awww nooooo mzmomo!!!

Sometimes youre just allergic to the fibers regardless if you prewash or not. Its happened to to me more than once.

Mot recent was last year with a crochet install. Turns out I was allergic to both the brand of hair and the hair product I was using. The hives were all over my fave too. Ugh ...

Benadryl is a good idea like someone mentioned. Also Vaseline on the hives to help prevent scarring and that peeling that can occur.

:bighug: momo!

Mz.MoMo5235

Awww nooooo mzmomo!!!

Sometimes youre just allergic to the fibers regardless if you prewash or not. Its happened to to me more than once.

Mot recent was last year with a crochet install. Turns out I was allergic to both the brand of hair and the hair product I was using. The hives were all over my fave too. Ugh ...

Benadryl is a good idea like someone mentioned. Also Vaseline on the hives to help prevent scarring and that peeling that can occur.

:bighug: momo!

Yes, been knocked out all day because of allergy meds and I have shea butter on my scalp.

That's what made me finally take it down because the itching and burning was spreading to my forehead, temples, cheeks, and lower back of kneck. Plus when I felt how bumpy my kneck was I just knew my scalp was worse.

My bestie told me to stop being a cheap butt and buy human hair next time. I think she's right. I've had reactions before but nothing like this. Oy vey

almond eyes

When I transitioned six years ago. I had not braided my hair in a very long time. I went to a hair braider in harlem and I thought the braids were not tight. But when I took my braids out four weeks later, my scalp was sore and I had flakes and the front of my hair which stretched up to my chin was now only barely 1/2 inches and I had breakage along the hair line. It took me up to three months to baby my hair back to health.

I was allergic to that cheap synthetic Chinese hair and also my hair was not accustom to extension braids since I had not worn them in a very long time.

Since that time and I am transitioning again, I have decided no more extension braids for me not worth the risk. My scalp is too sensitive and my hairline and hair is too fine and hi po hair doesn't do very well with extensions because it doesn't allow for enough moisture to get into the hair and too much moisture creates matting.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Mz.MoMo5235

That is something i had not taken into consideration. Last time I wore extension braids I was around 15. My hair was also a lot thicker back then and I got my hair braided frequently since my braids were always done by friends who were practicing. I imagine since they were all just starting to get good at it my braids probably werent all that tight.

My hair practices were a lot different back then than they are now and I know my hair cant handle half the stuff I did back then now. Maybe braids are one of them.

My scalp may have also been in slight shock from the weight. I haven't had long hair in a while now and even at my longest soaking wet I'm sure it still didn't compare to the weight of the braids.

Parts of my scalp are still swollen. Hives have calmed down but still there. Itching has greatly dulled but skin is still irritated. there is also a soreness feeling through out my scalp. Dont know if its from the allergy or the tension.

Le sigh

faithVA

Yes, been knocked out all day because of allergy meds and I have shea butter on my scalp.

That's what made me finally take it down because the itching and burning was spreading to my forehead, temples, cheeks, and lower back of kneck. Plus when I felt how bumpy my kneck was I just knew my scalp was worse.

My bestie told me to stop being a cheap butt and buy human hair next time. I think she's right. I've had reactions before but nothing like this. Oy vey

I hope you feel better soon :bighug:

But yes, if you have had reactions before then yes STOP BEING A CHEAP BUTT.

Maybe you just need a nice wig to get you through this in between stage.

almond eyes

That is something i had not taken into consideration. Last time I wore extension braids I was around 15. My hair was also a lot thicker back then and I got my hair braided frequently since my braids were always done by friends who were practicing. I imagine since they were all just starting to get good at it my braids probably werent all that tight.

My hair practices were a lot different back then than they are now and I know my hair cant handle half the stuff I did back then now. Maybe braids are one of them.

My scalp may have also been in slight shock from the weight. I haven't had long hair in a while now and even at my longest soaking wet I'm sure it still didn't compare to the weight of the braids.

Parts of my scalp are still swollen. Hives have calmed down but still there. Itching has greatly dulled but skin is still irritated. there is also a soreness feeling through out my scalp. Dont know if its from the allergy or the tension.

Le sigh

I would suggest just leave your hair alone for now and let it breathe. It's a combination of the weight and also the tension and the extension hairs touching your scalp and it feels unnatural to your scalp that has not had extension braid in years.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Mz.MoMo5235

Eeew! The hives are drying up and peeling/flaking. I grossed my self out today lol

CaramelLites

Guess I've graduated from this thread. I didn't expect for it to happen so soon. I looked and realized I now have a medium sized fro. I bc'd to .5 thru an inch of hair in Feb of 2013. So it hasn't quite been 2 yrs yet.

ForumRunner_20141101_154045.jpg

ForumRunner_20141101_154123.jpg

ForumRunner_20141101_154140.jpg

almond eyes

Guess I've graduated from this thread. I didn't expect for it to happen so soon. I looked and realized I now have a medium sized fro. I bc'd to .5 thru an inch of hair in Feb of 2013. So it hasn't quite been 2 yrs yet.

View attachment 282005

View attachment 282007

View attachment 282009

Wow, your hair grows fast. Looks like my hair texture as well. What is your routine? When did your hair start to hang as opposed to standing straight up?. Beautiful face you have by the way.

Best,
Almond Eyes

CaramelLites

Wow, your hair grows fast. Looks like my hair texture as well. What is your routine? When did your hair start to hang as opposed to standing straight up?. Beautiful face you have by the way.

Best,
Almond Eyes

My routine is little to no manipulation. I'm really bad I deep conditioned my hair 2 days ago for the 1st time this year. Generally I Cowash daily to everyother day and bun. I shampoo once or twice a week depending on build up from gel. I use leave in conditioner, seal with almond or olive oil brush hair back with Denman followed by paddle brush bun and go. I wear the bun one to two days and repeat. I have no idea when it started to hang. I simply didn't notice. I decided to experiment with new styles since I'm doing the same thing all the time and that's when I noticed how much it had grown.

Shampoo: Shea moisture the coconut one
Cowash: suave tropical coconut, trader Joe's tea tree tingle, and Pantene naturals cowash.

Leave ins:kckt, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus milk, Shea Moisture Smoothie, Shea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil, Suave Tropical Coconut, Traders Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.

Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil or Wetline Xtreme

Oils: Olive Oil or Almond Oil

almond eyes

My routine is little to no manipulation. I'm really bad I deep conditioned my hair 2 days ago for the 1st time this year. Generally I Cowash daily to everyother day and bun. I shampoo once or twice a week depending on build up from gel. I use leave in conditioner, seal with almond or olive oil brush hair back with Denman followed by paddle brush bun and go. I wear the bun one to two days and repeat. I have no idea when it started to hang. I simply didn't notice. I decided to experiment with new styles since I'm doing the same thing all the time and that's when I noticed how much it had grown.

Shampoo: Shea moisture the coconut one
Cowash: suave tropical coconut, trader Joe's tea tree tingle, and Pantene naturals cowash.

Leave ins:kckt, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus milk, Shea Moisture Smoothie, Shea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil, Suave Tropical Coconut, Traders Joe's Tea Tree Tingle.

Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil or Wetline Xtreme

Oils: Olive Oil or Almond Oil

Thanks so much. Simple routine like mine!!!!!!!!!!!

Sholapie

Hey all :wave:

I'll be 10 months post soon. I feel like it is definitely getting easier, I don't feel as frustrated and unsure of what i'm doing.
The shape of my free form fro is not hot lol but I don't want to shape it until I know what it looks like with more length.
My hair is still super low porosity but that's definitely a good thing, my hair has never had this much sheen.
I hope this feeling lasts because I have been here before, thinking I had it pretty much worked out until I seemed to hit yet another awkward phase.
At the moment I am styling my hair by stretching it using flexi rods. I can use as few as 14 rods and just stretch and wrap large sections of my hair around them for a stretched out curly afro style. I would take a pic but it's not actually all that cute it's just low manipulation, low effort and stops my coils dancing with each other and having an ssk party.

I will revisit twists when my hair is long enough to not have to do 50-11 twists so they will stay twisted.

KaramelKutie803

Haven't been in this thread for a while, been in a protective style which I just took out tonight. Anyway I came in here to let you ladies know that my local Walgreens had a lot of good hair products marked down. I picked up a As I Am Coconut CoWash for $5.49 ($7.99) Motions Foam Setting/Wrap lotion for $2.29 ($4.49) and Design Essentials Natural Curl Cleanser for $7.99 ($15.99). They also had the Motions Naturally You product line on sale but that was sold out, Curls conditioner and shampoo, also sold out and the Design Essentials conditioner and a few other products. I'll be checking out the other Walgreens in my area tomorrow to see what I can find. Some of the same items were marked down online as well

gabulldawg

I broke down and bought a wig over the weekend. :lol: Right now I think I will only wear it outside of work. I really just wanted a change and miss the long hair.

niknakmac

I broke down and bought a wig over the weekend. :lol: Right now I think I will only wear it outside of work. I really just wanted a change and miss the long hair.

I feel your pain, I'm right there with you. Missing my hair and praying for this twa to grow out. I thought about putting in some extensions but I don't take care of my hair when I have it braided. I may have to pull out a wig.

gabulldawg

I feel your pain, I'm right there with you. Missing my hair and praying for this twa to grow out. I thought about putting in some extensions but I don't take care of my hair when I have it braided. I may have to pull out a wig.

I had to give up on sew ins long ago. Looks like I also can't do braids anymore. So wigs it is! I'm trying to decide if I want to wear it all of the time now rather than just outside of work. I would love to leave it alone and let it grow. Since it's still in the short stages I can't braid it underneath yet.

almond eyes

Thanks @faithVA I definitely will checkout and probably join the SL challenge I don't think I'm TWA.

Stephanie, I am still at the TWA stage but I think perhaps there needs to be a beyond TWA intermediary stage thread for those who are more than one year. I would like to see that because there are challenges that are beyond the TWA and not quite at SL yet.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Stephanie, I am still at the TWA stage but I think perhaps there needs to be a beyond TWA intermediary stage thread for those who are more than one year. I would like to see that because there are challenges that are beyond the TWA and not quite at SL yet. Best, Almond Eyes
I Totally agree with you. I bc'd after approximately 15 months of transitioning so I started with quite a bit of hair and it's been a little over 3 months since I BC'd and it's grow out some already but not enough to qualify for SL. I don't know if I am even going to be able to make it SL in a years time. I guess this is the dreaded in between stage.

niknakmac

I bought the la jay afro wig. I'm about to fake it till I make it or get too hot. I can't wait for it to arrive.