2015 APL/BSL Challenge

IslandMummy

I know already? :lachen:It's that time again. The theme of 2015 will be to maintain and sustain. Maintain the healthy hair we have, sustain those tried and true routines that work for us, and sustain the growth we receive.

The Guidelines

1. Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post as well as send me a pm telling me you've thanked the post and I'll add you to the list.
  2. The challenge will officially begin on December 31, 2014 and run til December 31, 2015.
  3. The challenge is open to join at any time. No cut off date!
  4. Post pictures with updates, protective styling ideas, and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
  5. STAY POSITIVE!! Remember to encourage each other and provide insightful feedback.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
Scheduled Updates

Length checks only have to be twice per year so we are not obsessing over length but healthy hair in general. First pic should be your starting pic and then LC pic in June and another one in December. If you feel you have gained enough to post a sooner LC then please follow the check in dates below.

1. March 31st
  2. June 30th
  3. September 30th
  4. December 31st

Challengers

4EverDetermined
abbygirl
AbsyBlvd
Adiatasha
AgeinATL
ajargon02
Amagine
amii
annanimittee
apple_natural
APrayer4Hair
Arianna26
aviddiva77
Babygrowth
bajandoc86
bluenvy
bronzephoenix
caribeandiva
Cattypus1
charmtreese
CICI24
ckisland
CrysMelis
CurliDiva
curls4daze
DarkJoy
dedicatedshopper
destinyseeker
DivineSparkle
EdieAlexandria
faithVA
flirtytrixx88
Fotchygirl
Funmi333
Funmiloves
gorgeousnaps
gvin89
hairedity
HairPleezeGrow
hairqueenny
HoneyBea
humblebyHIM
iLurk
inabarbieworld
indarican
IslandMummy
jade998
jasmyne14
kayjae
KidneyBean86
KiWiStyle
klb120475
Leo24Rule
leogirl321
lindseyerinc
long.hair.dont.care
LoveArianna
lovemyhair247
LuvlyRain3
ms.tatiana
NaturallyBri87
naturalpride
NefertariBlu
Nefretiri91
niecy8892
Nightingale
Pennefeather
PerfectlyFlawed
Phaer
PhoenixStarr
PinkyPromise
PlainJane
PolaroidPictcha
Prettymetty
QueenKay
Queensheba88
quirkydimples
Rozlewis
Rufigirl
SCarolinaGirl
shanequalashawn
shortdub78
shynewbie
SoleilChica
Sweetg
Sweetie123
Thann
ThatJerseyGirl
theerotation
TheNDofUO
tondy87
Tonto
traceedeebee
trclemons
TrynaTransition
WeirdoBeauty
xu93texas
yakuria
yasmin7791
youwillrise

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey yall!
1. Apl
2. Natural
3. June
4. I either wear plaits under a wig or wear my hair straight (Dominican blowouts). I use Keracare detangling poo, Alter ego garlic as a prepoo, Keracare Humecto DC, aloe vera juice to detangle amd either Hello Hydration or Neutrogena Silk touch cream as a leave in. Hh is for when I wig it. Silk touch is for my straight hair
5. I plan on wearing my hair a lot more in 2015. This year I mainly wore wigs. I want to really get to know and manage my hair whether it's kinky or straight

Attachments

• 20141027_091323.jpg
    20141027_091323.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 203

IslandMummy

Rozlewis

I would like to join.

Current Length: Past APL
Hair: Texlaxed
Goal Month: August
Current Reggie: Wash 1 x per week, DC with steam, Air dry 90% of the time and bun, twist-out or wigs.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL: I plan to start wearing wigs more often.
Post a beginning picture: For now the picture below but I will post a more recent picture soon.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Woo hoo! I'm in :)

[*]Current hair length- SL
[*]Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- Natural
[*]Goal Month- Full APL by December 2015
[*]Current Reggie and styling choices- wash, condition, dc weekly. Hendigo and prepoo when needed, inversion and NJoy oil, wigging it and sew ins. Cowash and tea rinses as needed and no cutting just dusting.
[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? More PS
[*]Post a beginning picture

ForumRunner_20141029_195404.jpg

bluenvy

Thanks! Here's my two cents

Current hair length~APL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning~Natural
Goal Month~ June Bsl
Current Reggie and styling choices~Wash & dc weekly, m/s every other day, buns and sometimes wng

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?~Baby ends and edges

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 179

curls4daze

1.SL
2. Natural
3. August 2015
4. Wash once a week/deep condition once a week/m&s 2xs a day/massage scalp every week/protein treatment every six weeks
5. I plan on listening more to my hair and what it needs; not allowing just anybody to style my hair; drink more water; and wear more wigs.

image-890213702.jpg

ckisland

Yay!!!! I'm so ready for this :yay:

Current Length:
Uh. . . the bottom of neck length at the nape, to my jawline on the sides, and to my eyebrow in the front :lol:
Hair:
Natural
Goal Month:
December
Current Reggie:
Shampoo and Condition daily
Apply more condish for leave-in then add gel
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL:
I've just started to notice breakage today, so I'm going back to a more LHCF friendly method :lol:

Shampoo 1x a week
DC 1 x a week
Cowash/rinse every to every other day
Apply condish as leave-in and use gel or creme styler

Post a beginning picture:

20141029_222527.jpg

20141029_222752.jpg

20141029_223025.jpg

Last edited:

charmtreese

Current hair length: 11.5- 12 inches/ just at APL in the back Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: natural Goal Month: Dec 2015 Full BSL Current Reggie and styling choices: wash, DC, Twist once a week. Wear hair in twist throughout the week What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?: Stick to my exercise routine, eat more green veggies Post a beginning picture: will post at the end of December

Attachments

• image-1348696359.jpg
    image-1348696359.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2597749877.jpg
    image-2597749877.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Evolving78

Current hair length SL texlaxed Goal Month June APL December Full APL Current Reggie and styling choices wash and dc twice a week protective styling What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? No trimming challenge.
Here is my starting pic. My first goal is to hit the #1 mark by April. That might be asking for a lot?

image-2584959356.jpg

Last edited:

Babygrowth

[*]Current hair length- will be SL by Dec
[*]Texlaxed
[*]December 2015
[*]Current Reggie and styling choices - texlax every 4-5 months, trim every 8-12 weeks on lunar calendar dates, prepoo, Wash, oil rinse and DC weekly with a mid week deep cowash if necessary. M/s 2-3x per week. Protective style with crochet braids. Oil scalp with sulfur oil/cream and take a hair growth vitamin (currently using Manetabolism)
[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? No more long stretches, no more tight braiding styles, and sticking to my Reggie. No more air drying MASTER ROLLER SETTING!
[*]Post a beginning picture- will do next month

faithVA

IslandMummy, Thanks for tagging me but I'm no where near close to APL :sad: Maybe 2016 :yep:

I will be watching from the sidelines though.

Last edited:

trclemons

Current hair length = ~APL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning = Transitioning

Goal Month = December 2015

Current Reggie and styling choices
1. Daily = spritz hair, baggy & massage scalp;

2. 3 Times/Week = moisturize & seal;

3. Biweekly = sponge wash scalp;

4. Monthly = pre-poo, wash, co-wash, DC, reconstruct, ACV rinse, leave in 75% of a moisturizing conditioner, & use LOC method when 80% dry;

5. Monthly = invert for a week; and

6. Monthly = install braids/twists. NOTE: Wigs, buns, & updos are used 1-2 weeks between installs.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? = I will use braids/twists for all of 2015; drink more water; eat cleaner & exercise.

Post a beginning picture = I will BC on December 14, 2014 and will post a picture then.

Attachments

• 2015-01-03 19.06.04.jpg
    2015-01-03 19.06.04.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

CrysMelis

HairCare Enthusiast
Current hair length = Between SL and APL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning =Transitioning

Goal Month = APL 12/31/14 / BSL 6/30/15

Current Reggie and styling choices = Wash 1x weekly, co-wash 1x weekly, DC 2x weekly, light protein 1x weekly, smoothing treatment (DE) every 12-16 weeks, rollerset each time I wet my hair, M&S 1-2 weekly, wrap nightly. Hairfinity and Bamboo supplements every day. Lots of water daily.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? = Increase water intake, M&S my ends more often, wear my scarf every night and stop being lazy, little-no direct heat (unless it's my roots after a set).

Post a beginning picture =

image-3357389914.jpg

PlainJane

Longest layer is 1 inch past APL. Majority of layers are SL.

Transitioning.

December 2015.

Shampoo and DC weekly, add leave in, and heavy seal/butter. Refresh as needed. Protein as needed. Jbco twice a week. Buns and updos.

Changes I'm making- sticking to my regimen, no heat, comb on wash days only, dusting.

I'll give a more detailed regimen and starting pic in December. Still deciding on certain products. I am 4 inches away from grazing BSL. MBL is my ultimate goal and that is 6 inches away.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Joining in on the 2015 festivities!

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Transitioning!

Goal Month: December2015

Current Reggie and styling choices: Wash & DC once weekly, clarify/chelate once per month and protein treat monthly as well. Protective styling ONLY, M&S every few days. Fingers detangle/de-shed 1-2 times a week and use comb only on wash days. Tension method blowdry on cold air to stretch my roots to prevent knots and tangles, henndigo as needed (every 2-3 months), slowly trim away relaxed ends; .5"-1" every 3-4 months, no heat.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?: I've already recently changed my regimen so its pretty solid.

Post a beginning picture: coming next week after I wash and stretch my roots.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

PinkyPromise

Full Shoulder/CBL
4a/b Natural
Colored (Creme Of Nature Lightest Blonde)
Hairfinity
Cowashes
Deep Conditioning using "organic" ingredients only (bananas, yogurt, honey, avocado, bentonite clay etc)
Water/Exercise/Eating Healthy/Vegetarian/Nutritarian
I live in Braid outs and twistouts
Mini Twists are my go to protective style

image-2458641316.jpg

image-2156950501.jpg

image-2116602844.jpg

image-2116602844.jpg

image-414919434.jpg

image-720702250.jpg

I use my tattoo to measure since it's right on my collarbone. My goal is to be well underneath it by March.

xu93texas

Here is my info:

-Current length: Neck length
-I'm relaxed
-Goal date is November 2015
-I PS 99% of the time with wigs. Next year I'm going to rotate between roller sets and wearing wigs 50/50. I wash and DC weekly and Cowash midweek unless I'm wearing cornrows; then it's wash/DC every 2 weeks with a Cowash midweek. I blow dry and put hair in Celie plaits, back under wigs. I M&S every AM and PM. Currently, I've been taking Hairfinity vitamins for almost a year- not sure if I'll continue in 2015.
-the only thing I plan to change is to reduce the amount of time u wear wigs. I'm starting to notice thinning along my hairline. I will master rollersetting! Oh, and I won't be cutting my hair. Since 2012 I've done a major BC, a mini chop, and rocked pixie cuts. I need to let my hair grow. It's healthy now, I just need to see the length.
- starting pics

image-1649232501.jpg

Attachments

• image-4092814790.jpg
    image-4092814790.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 133

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
May I join in also?

Current Length:Back grazing SL, EL on the sides, and to eyebrows in the front

Hair:Natural

Goal Month: November?

Current Reggie:
Giavanni Leave In
VO5 Clarifying shampoo
Aloe Vera Juice
Added shea butter to reggie

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL:
Add more water, change up my diet, exercise a little more, try to find another way to retain length

starting pic below

Attachments

• 1016767_10100324625705849_3874387283336407690_n.jpg
    1016767_10100324625705849_3874387283336407690_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 97

kupenda

Im in!

Natural

APL

Goal: Full APL after a fresh trim, past APL by September 2015 (im tall with a long torso. APL to BSL is like 6 inches on me). But if I can get to BSL by December 31st, 2015 it will be a miracle! I might scream and faint from happiness

Regi: Sew Ins until the end of March, when I will get a trim and do an official length check. Im expecting to have grown out the breakage in my crown and held on to the length ive gotten from the use of sew ins. I should be well past APL by then and steady at BSB. My stylist uses CHI, Avanti (Silicon Mix), and Morrocanoil. I will spritz my braids with braid spray and oil with whatever I have laying around twice a week, massage at least 3 times a week.

Currently in a sew in but I will get a starting picture at my next salon visit

SCarolinaGirl

I'd like to join. My current length is barely APL and I'm relaxed. I just relaxed yesterday at 12 weeks post. I have been consistently wearing wigs for the last two months and plan to continue the wigs until the summer. My goal month for BSL is June 2015. I keep my hair braided under the wigs and wash/deep condition weekly. I moisturize and seal every night and that's it. I only use heat on relaxer days for length checks... I always airdry and rebraid in two cornrows. I don't plan to wear my hair out at all until summer. I'm going to start taking vitamins for overall health and hair growth. Good luck ladies.

Eta: current products....
shampoos: aphogee for damaged hair and ion hard water

Conditioners: aphogee 2 min reconstructor, silk elements mega cholesterol, eden body works jojoba monai

Leave ins/moisturizers: aphogee green tea, proclaim shea butter moisturizer

Oils: jbco, coconut/olive oil mixture

I relax every 10-12 weeks with silk elements no lye and use aphogee 2 step every 6-8 weeks.

Attachments

• 2014-11-02 08.57.38.jpg
    2014-11-02 08.57.38.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

APrayer4Hair

I'm in!
Natural
Current length: SL-APL
Goal month: BSL December 2015 image-546697445.jpg image-3557180550.jpg I plan on having hair professionally straightened at the end of the month for my bday.

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Current hair length - Grazing APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning - Natural

Goal Month - BSL by Dec 2015

Current Reggie and styling choices - PSing with celies. Wash/Henna/DC 1x per month, DC every 2 weeks, M&S 3x per week. Thinking of getting a natural hair wig as part of my PS.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? - dust once every 8 weeks

Post a beginning picture - will post at end of Dec

Leo24Rule

1. Current hair length: BSL (Curly)/MBL (Straight)
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
  3. Goal Month: December 2015
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: I use nothing but natural products. Shea Mositure Line and my own shea butter mix. Usually my hair is worn in 15 braids, buns, or hair braided up under a wig/half wig.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I want to be a full BSL (Curly)/MBL (Straight). I plan on experimenting with ayurvedic powders, trying the inversion method, doing the greenhouse effect method, and daily scalp massages.
  6. Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 98
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 105