the ckw plates will not come to fruition any time soon

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Has anyone seen the latest kick starter update?

No ckw plates!:nono: This is a HAM sandwich!

blackbarbie986

just saw the email, a little disappointed but I hope
everything's able to work out in kelechi's favor. I
love the cwk plate idea and was so looking forward
to having them by the time my twist come out next
month.

FearlessNik

I received this notification through Kickstarter as well as the CWK Girls FB Page...

Good Morning Investors,

As you know the CWK Girls team has been working overtime to bring the CWK Straight Plates vision to fruition. None of our success thus far would have been possible without you all. Your investments were the catalyst that transformed our dream into a reality. Although each step of the creative process has offered its share of challenges, the journey along the way has provided invaluable opportunities that have stretched the creativity of the CWK Girls team and nurtured our growth. Today it saddens us to inform you that we have received some information that has temporarily halted the entire production process. Throughout this process four outside sources have contacted our team with the assertion that they own the patented rights to an idea identical to the Straight Plates; however, none of them could provide the proper legal documentation to support their claims. Recently a new source, making a similar claim, has contacted us and provided us with a patent application number and vague verbiage from their filings. Here is a portion of the information provided for an alleged provisional patent that was filed on December 28th, 2013:

A patent was filed for, “… a device for the treatment of a tress of hair including two plates containing multiple apertures, joined on one side by a spine and secured by plurality of interlocking tines containing grooves with the function of providing an adjustable hold on a tress of hair, so as to allow wet hair to dry in an elongated state when held between two plates…”

We filed a non-provisional patent in February of 2014, less than two months after the above date. The alleged owner of this patent has threatened to take legal action against CWK Girls, LLC. Since our last correspondence we have relentlessly attempted to make contact with the involved parties to gain the necessary information that would put our attorneys in contact so that they could compare the verbiage of both patents and legally sort out this matter. Their final response shortly stated that their “lawyers would be contacting us soon.” Unfortunately, weeks have passed and we have received no further contact and all other communications from the CWK Girls team since then have been ignored. Despite this, we have worked diligently to resolve this matter. Due to the fact that it usually takes many months for a patent to be seen in the U.S. Patent database our attorney can neither verify nor dismiss the stated claim at this time.

What does this mean for the CWK Plates? We have deliberated with our attorneys, our business partners, and close investors in hopes of finding a viable solution. Against our wishes we have been advised to delay the anticipated production and continued sales of the CWK Straight Plates until we can legally determine the authenticity of this claim. Depending on the outcome, we will either move forward with the original CWK Straight Plates or we will revamp and patent a new design. The emergence of this situation is disheartening. We have invested countless hours, energy, and money into this project and hate to see it suddenly come to a screeching halt. We know that so many of you have stood by us and encouraged us throughout each phase of this creative process; thus, it is important for us to be honest and transparent with you as we move forward. Sorting through a matter as complicated as this could take several months, and we do not believe that it is reasonable to expect our investors to wait in uncertainty as we navigate this step in the process. Because of this, we have decided to provide ALL of our backers with a 100% refund. Please note that we have invested over ten thousand dollars of the Kickstarter funds in the developmental stages of this project. While Kickstarter does not mandate that lost funds be refunded, we however believe in doing what is right. In our opinion, that means making certain that each and every investment is honored and returned. Providing a refund to each investor means that we will have to absorb a hit for the initial money invested in the development and production as well as an additional 3% credit card fee. This is an act of goodwill.

How will refunds work? Unfortunately, we cannot refund directly through Kickstarter. In addition, Amazon does not let you manually refund after 60 days. We will be required to go through each individual transaction and document the associated transaction identification number in order to initiate a request for refund. An organized transaction list will be sent to Amazon weekly until all of the invested funds are returned. A corresponding email will be sent to each investor notifying them that the refund process has been initiated for their specific investment. The process is tedious, so we ask that you remain patient.

Please do not think that this is the end of CWK Girls, LLC. Thousands of you believed in our vision and that alone is motivation for us to push through this hurdle and continue to develop innovative products. We are committed to our curly, wavy, kinky haired girls! Before moving forward, it is important for us to look back to say thank you for your investment, understanding, and continued support. We are grateful.

Best Regards,

Kelechi Bradley and the CWK Girls Team

FearlessNik

Personally I love how she's doing it out of an act of goodwill. I've been interested since the project was mentioned on here as well as on the KS Page. This is the very first time she's mentioned ANY type of patent infringements. All of the delays so far have been due to "Manufacture's delays".
She said " four outside sources have contacted our team with the assertion that they own the patented rights to an idea identical to the Straight Plates" Does anyone know anything about these companies? CWK was the first I ever heard about it. But, I'm about my hair... I'd like to know if these are on the market somewhere. :look:

naturalmanenyc

FearlessNik

The patent infringement issue came up when she first posted on this site about her idea. It is not new information. Kelechi responded and posted some of her patent filing information. That thread was deleted, hence the "what happened to the CWK straight plates thread" post.