Am I the only natural that hates braidouts and twist outs?

Kurlee

I'm a 4a natural and my hair HATES those styles:nono:. Besides the tangles, shedding, frizz, days to dry, it only looks good the first and second day and then begins to lose it's definition and get dryish and then at night, how the heck do you sleep without retwisting or risk flattening and ruining the style. When I slap some gel or KCCCC in my hair, I get shiny, frizz free curls for a week that stand up to sweat and sleep, plus no tangles. I guess braid out/twistouts aren't for everyone.:nono:

:( /rant

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I totally agree. I haven't had a successful Twistout or braidout yet. I believe that I am also a 4a I've been fully natural since August 2nd. I prefer the curls I have just from putting products on and brushing them in. The time it takes to put in the twists or braids just doesn't pay out for me. It takes me about thirty minutes at the most to style my hair in a wash n go vs putting in twists or braids in for over an hour then have to wait for it to dry overnight then in the morning having take it a loose and for it to be a total waste of time.

Kurlee

I totally agree. I haven't had a successful Twistout or braidout yet. I believe that I am also a 4a I've been fully natural since August 2nd. I prefer the curls I have just from putting products on and brushing them in. The time it takes to put in the twists or braids just doesn't pay out for me. It takes me about thirty minutes at the most to style my hair in a wash n go vs putting in twists or braids in for over an hour then have to wait for it to dry overnight then in the morning having take it a loose and for it to be a total waste of time.

that's exactly what happens to me. All that effort and dry time for a cute hairstyle that lasts a day before it needs to be redone. Ain't nobody got time for that.:look:

CodeRed

This thread is going to either go:

- Well not everyone has curls like you

or

- 4c/z people do braidouts/twistouts because they want curls they don't have

or

- **Insert something about people making their hair do something it doesn't naturally do through manipulation/product here**

I can see it now :lol:

Anyway, I don't like doing them because I'm lazy. When I was natural people used to say I should've twisted or braided my hair instead of just wearing it out... um...no. Usually it was people who wanted to make money off of doing it for me though :lol:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Kurlee at least your getting at least at day out of it. Every time I've attempted to do one I always end up just doing a wash n go instead. I guess that's why you just have to learn what works for you. I plan to keep trying them every once and awhile. Maybe it will work one day.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I love braid outs! It's my signature hair style. Plus I'm hair lazy and I can get two weeks out of a braid out with minimal manipulation, :yep:

Tips:
  • Sleep with a satin bonnet
  • Use the LCO variation of M&S
  • You can loosely re braid your hair at night to prevent tangles etc.
  • An old braid out makes a fierce textured bun

ckisland

First off, high fives all around!! :lol:

I used to feel so weird that twists and twistouts only equaled tangles and a lot of time wasted for me. I would spend an hour twisting my hair either to have them get smushed to my head overnight, or give me tons of ssks when I went to unravel them :nono:. Plus my twistouts always looked wack! The only way I got around that was discovering 1ballerina's method of putting her hair in 3 braids at night :yep:. It took like 5 years for me to figure out that I can't leave twists in overnight. I have to undo them and set them in braids if I don't want to be mad in the morning. When I do braidouts, I have to take the braids down and rebraid them in 3 large braids if I want to get good results.

When my hair was longer, my wash n'gos could last a week too. Just pineapple at night and fluff in the morning. It was awesome and way less manipulation than untwisting and retwisting throughout the week :yep:.

I know so much this time around: bantu knots were crafted by the devil and twists aren't worth the time :lachen:

Last edited:

fasika

I still can't figure out how to do knot outs. My braid-outs look ugly, so I never wear them either. I stick to wash and gos - they take 3 mins to do and look good.

The only awesome braid-out I've had was on relaxed hair, using mousse.

Lilmama1011

Have you pineappled your hair before Or scrunched up the hair to the scalp and pinned it in place like a pin curl but just scrunching and pinning. Also when taking the style out, use a conditioner or leave in with a lot slip to remove shedded hair first and the comb glides through. I have to redo mine even 4 days. I could squeeze 7 days out of it if I wanted to but it would be really frizzy. I can also simply put on a bonnet and not sleep on my hair at all to get 7 days.

Fenaxa

I don't much care for them because I prefer to see the cool coils and curls in my own hair. But I also think it's mostly because I'm plain lazy. It takes me at least 2.5 to 3 hours to fully detangle and twist or braid my hair.. I do all that work for it to only last a day or two.. Naah. I do like how uniform it makes hair look though!
Now Bantu knots/knot outs look really awesome.. Those are my favorite but I'm still too lazy to do them very often.
None of the above cause me tangles or anything until a drop of water hits my hair; one of the reasons wash and go's are a no go for me (too lazy to find the "perfect" product or technique).

sholly6

I'm a 4a natural and my hair HATES those styles:nono:. Besides the tangles, shedding, frizz, days to dry, it only looks good the first and second day and then begins to lose it's definition and get dryish and then at night, how the heck do you sleep without retwisting or risk flattening and ruining the style. When I slap some gel or KCCCC in my hair, I get shiny, frizz free curls for a week that stand up to sweat and sleep, plus no tangles. I guess braid out/twistouts aren't for everyone.:nono: :( /rant

They look great on other people however, when I do it it come out awful. Lol

NaturallyATLPCH

I feel this way about braid outs. They take too long to dry and take forever for me to take down.

When my hair was longer I did enjoy twist outs. I like flat twist outs even more.

oneastrocurlie

Only thing I wore was twist outs before I cut my hair. I kinda miss the look occasionally. Now I wear wash and gos 99.9% of the time.

My twist outs would last at least the work week. I'd layer products to twist with. Pineapple-ed at night. Maybe retwist towards the end of the week. Easy peasy. I'd however get bored with it and one hour to do them became too long. Hence the haircut. Lol

bydebra

I've always liked braidouts. I did them when my hair was relaxed and they lasted whether I re-braided at night or not. I like twists (keeping my hair in the twists) more than twistouts.

I have tight 4a curls. I wear them out, but by the end of the day, my hair is shrinking into an entirely different style.

To me, neither style takes that long. They take less time than a rollerset...my hair pretty much always dries by the morning, but it's still short.

Angelbean

I am not a twist out or knot out person but braid outs are fine only because I do two braids one on each side not cornrowed but regular ol Celie plates and I am good to go for a week if I wear a silk bonnet..

PatTodd

I love the look of braidouts and twistouts on other people, but my 3c/4a hair is SO curly that it ends up "reverting" from the set. For me, it's too much manipulation and tangles for essentially the same look as my wash n go. So I stick with that :grin:.

lenu80

My twist outs usually lasts 2 days. I'm trying to do wash and go with my 4c hair. My main issue since bc is styling.

Karmi

I'm a tight coily 4a and my hair looks an absolute HAM in twist and braid outs. Every single try at them ended in ugly frizzy hair.

My hair just naturally wants to curl up. I can get 5 day out of my wash n go so I consider that a more low manipulation style than twist outs.

Kurlee

This thread is going to either go:

- Well not everyone has curls like you

or

- 4c/z people do braidouts/twistouts because they want curls they don't have

or

- **Insert something about people making their hair do something it doesn't naturally do through manipulation/product here**

I can see it now :lol:

Anyway, I don't like doing them because I'm lazy. When I was natural people used to say I should've twisted or braided my hair instead of just wearing it out... um...no. Usually it was people who wanted to make money off of doing it for me though :lol:
I was just venting my frustration. Sunday wash and flat twist, two days to dry, Wednesday flop :wallbash:. This thread can go well if we let it.
I love the look of braidouts and twistouts on other people, but my 3c/4a hair is SO curly that it ends up "reverting" from the set. For me, it's too much manipulation and tangles for essentially the same look as my wash n go. So I stick with that :grin:.
that's what my hair does! like reverting from a press:perplexed:

Last edited:

Evolving78

I'm a tight coily 4a and my hair looks an absolute HAM in twist and braid outs. Every single try at them ended in ugly frizzy hair. My hair just naturally wants to curl up. I can get 5 day out of my wash n go so I consider that a more low manipulation style than twist outs.
I had to do really small twists to get the look and stretch I wanted.

Kurlee

Thank god i'm not the only one. I keep seeing fabulous twist outs on type 3 and 4 hair and whenever I try it #fail!

lushlady

I've never had a successful twist out. My hair turns into a maladjusted gigantic cotton ball when I unravel the twists. Thank goodness I always carry hair sticks with me.

FoxxyLocs

I can never get a braid out to turn out right. I love twist outs though. Recently I've been doing flat twist outs and they always look cute, plus they last longer than a regular twist out.

Last edited:

LivingInPeace

I love twistouts! Braidouts are okay and bantu knot outs are fabulous on me. I maintain mine by redoing the twists at night. My favorite style is when I set the twists on perm rods.

ladybug71

I love how my twist outs turn out. I have had a lot of trial and error with what products I use that give me the most definition, longest wear, etc. I'm 4c and I usually only get a couple "good" days with a twist out before it turns to cotton again. I usually retwist at night and scarf it.

I tried braid outs and they were an epic fail :nono: way to long to do, and way longer to take down, I ended up late for work one day messing around with a braid out. Ugh! I prefer the definition I get with twists over braids.

Also love flats twists. Still having a hard time doing bantu knot out, but I LOVE them done on other people