Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

IronButterfly

Ok I just tried this. Clarified with AO Swimmers "DCed" under Hair Therapy Wrap with watered down Trader Joe's TTT Bentonite clay rinse left in for about 30 minutes "Leave in" Trader Joe's TTT watered down, "sealed" in with Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Gel Was not impressed with the results. I will give it another try tomorrow but this time I'll use the baking soda/conditioner. This also took freakin forever. Not sure if I will have the patience. :look:

Results are not guaranteed when clarifying with anything other than BS or ACV....according to the hmm website.

faithVA

I wonder if I can use KC come clean for step one. The baking soda makes my scalp itch.

It is worth a try. You may want to try less baking soda in your mix.

Or for the itching, after the DC but before the mud try spritzing diluted acv on your scalp, massaging it in and rinsing. This can help rebalance the ph of your scalp.

Z-kitty

I just started this method yesterday and i'm very optimistic since I was at my wits end with this chronically hard hair. I started with the Cherry Lola Treat early morning and finally finished the last step around 11pm last night. I obviously didn't do the last step correctly because my hair is still wet after 15 hours.

MsEveMarie

SOOO I haven't been consist at with this, but jvd been doing it like every other for the past week and a half. My hair only felt and looked amazing after day 1 when I did the cherry Lola treatment. My hair feels dry and I think I'm getting breakage from all the manipulation.

intellectualuva

I just started this method yesterday and i'm very optimistic since I was at my wits end with this chronically hard hair. I started with the Cherry Lola Treat early morning and finally finished the last step around 11pm last night. I obviously didn't do the last step correctly because my hair is still wet after 15 hours.

My hair is wet forever too if I airdry. Lol. It's not until day 2 that my curls fall the way I want with no dampness in the back. Aside from my laziness, it's the main reason I don't do this everyday

AJellyCake

Not sure if you all saw this: How to get your wash n go to dry faster/wash n go maintenance http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/14/maintaining-your-wash-n-go/ I watched the first video and I really liked it!

Omg! This method is the truth. Lol this is the driest my scalp has everrrr been after a wash n go on the first day, which is a great thing!

After applying my gel, I squeezed the excess moisture out, working from root to tip. The center of my head is still kind of damp, but it's a major improvement!!!!

You'd think after like 2 years natural I would have learned. SMH. Nope. I was always worried squeezing my hair or whatever would cause frizz. But nope. No frizzier than usual.

faithVA

SOOO I haven't been consist at with this, but jvd been doing it like every other for the past week and a half. My hair only felt and looked amazing after day 1 when I did the cherry Lola treatment. My hair feels dry and I think I'm getting breakage from all the manipulation.

It is only suggested to do it every 3 days after the first week. And even doing it every day for a week is a suggestion only to speed up the process. Perhaps you are doing it too often.

Guinan

Re-Branding

My hair doesnt like too much manipulation either, so I only do this method 2x's a week. You def have to play around with this method. I have switched out a couple of things. Like I still use my herbal essense for my DC and I use Millcreek Botanicals when I need protein. Also, for the shorter version of this method, I combine the ACV and the DC together; to shorten the time. My hair isnt at 100% hydration, but it's gradually getting there.

My hair looks amazing!!! Nothing but compliments from everyone. It's a lengthy process but it's worth it. Glad I found this place

IronButterfly

Results also aren't immediate for everyone. Most people's results are gradual.

:yep:That's mentioned on the website as well alongside "suitable" options for those who don't want to use BS. I'm also sure I read that for those who wish to deviate from the creator's suggestions are, in effect, no longer practicing MHM. The creator swears by the results and is quite strict about the procedure. She goes into detail why.

Z-kitty

Today I did my second wash since I was traveling yesterday. Dare I say that I see visible coils in the sea of frizz that is my hair. The front is still straight as a board but I will definitely be doing the full 7 days to see if I can coax some definition in this area. I'm sold on this method and it may become a permanent fixture in my regimen.

Pompous Blue

I haven't don't this in a while since I've been working 70 hour weeks. But I came in to add that even though I have not done the steps since I last posted a week ago, my hair still shows a longer length and the coils still come out after setting my hair. I can't wait to get back into the routine, but I am catching up on much needed rest.

Also, I'm waiting for ProtectivePrincess on YouTube to come out with her update routine vid. She stated she had a setback from over manipulating her strands and that the gel was not working for her. I'm eager to know what she is doing to continue her progress. I also don't believe this gel thing and I are ever going to be BFF. But I believe in the reasons behind each step in the method are still gold.

This process has shown me that I need to clarify more than 1 time every few months and that my hair absorbs watered down conditioner better than straight out the bottle. The clay is definitely needed, but maybe for me only once a week.

@fluffyforever
I'm waiting on her next video, too. I've closely watched her progress because my hair is super fine and I modified Steps 4 and 5 after the 1st treatment. After rinsing out the clay, I apply a leave-in conditioner, sealant and light gel. Then I flat twist my hair. I don't dilute any products neither do I do the shaking and raking.....That's a BIG NO NO for my hair.

Here's some notes from her video -
[44] Setbacks, Standstill, No Progress. Max Hydration Method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Qh-r8qdFU
I specifically share some of the setbacks I have experienced while doing the Max Hydration Method. I strongly believe in the premise of this method, but I had to make some adjustments to fit my hair's needs. Always listen to your hair and adjust accordingly:)
This is especially for those of you doing the MHM that have followed the rules, been consistent and used the correct products. Setbacks, dryness and lack of progress are signs that something you are doing is not working for your hair. I experienced the same issues but overcame them. I am sharing my setbacks in hopes that it will give you some direction to getting back on track. I hope it helps.
Always listen to your hair! I will share my specific tweaks to the MHM regimen very soon.
She says the setbacks she’s had are: 1) Dryness after the clay step. Hair felt parched, squeaky, stripped, dry. 2) Dryness after Gel dried. Gel is not for her hair. Could not get it to behave as a sealant or protectant. Gel seem to dry hair out more. Made it extremely vulnerable to breakage. Tried using Olive Oil; did not really help.
Step 1 couldn’t clarify the olive oil from her hair. Baking soda couldn’t get it off, either. No uptake of the conditioner because the oil film wasn’t being removed. So no uptake of the conditioner. Shaft splits, fairy knots. 3) Over-manipulation. Amount of manipulation was damaging. Step 4 and 5 wasn’t working.

She said she hasn’t done the original MHM since the end of August. Once she modified the regimen, her hair is back thriving.

I want to add I've never used KCKT or KCCC. I use products I already have because the majority of them contain the approved ingredients and I saw no need to go out and buy additional products.

My hair is thriving! I love this method with the modifications I've made.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Doing the modified MHM right now. I'm under my dryer with my ACV & DC. I've had it on for 30mins so far, so ill be rinsing shortly.

I will be wearing a wng tomorrow for the 1st time @ work. After i rinse out the clay, I'm going to apply the gel & sleep with a shower cap on so my hair stays moist & doesn't get flat. Since i was able to thicken my flaxseed gel, i will be using that & eco styler on my edges. Ill defuse in the morning.

I believe that mahogany curls did that when she had a twa; sleep with a shower cap.

If it turns out ok, I'll post pics 2morrow.

Last edited:

AJellyCake

Doing the modified MHM right now. I'm under my dryer with my ACV & DC. I've had it on for 30mins so far, so ill be rinsing shortly. I will be wearing a wng tomorrow for the 1st time @ work. After i rinse out the clay, I'm going to apply the gel & sleep with a shower cap on so my hair stays moist & doesn't get flat. Since i was able to thicken my flaxseed gel, i will be using that & eco styler on my edges. Ill defuse in the morning. I believe that mahogany curls did that when she had a twa; sleep with a shower cap. If it turns out ok, I'll post pics 2morrow.

How did you get your gel thicker? Mine came out super thin last time! :(

frida1980

Cook it longer. And make sure the seed ratio is 1:4, no lower. Wait until the gel gets so thick that it kind springs back into the spoon instead of pour out. Hard to explain but you'll know it when you see it. Just experiment with it until you get the texture you want.

Guinan

Re-Branding

Exactly like frida1980 said. I cook it thick, but not super thick cause it wont be able to stain. I scoop a small amount each time and strain it and then take my spoon and swirl it around in the strainer to help it get through the strainer. For me, it took me 2-3x's to get enough gel for my hair. But it was worth it. The gel was soooo thick. I still use my eco styler though for my edges.

AJellyCake

Cook it longer. And make sure the seed ratio is 1:4, no lower. Wait until the gel gets so thick that it kind springs back into the spoon instead of pour out. Hard to explain but you'll know it when you see it. Just experiment with it until you get the texture you want.

How long do you think you cook it for?

almond eyes

I personally think there are other ways to achieve the maximum hydration without going through this baking soda and all that stuff. All that manipulation is not even the best for fine hair. And many of the hair strands that I saw in the maximum hydration method looked so fine and thin that I wondered if it would snap off or that it didn't look all that much different to me.

I have fine hi porous hair. And I think getting your hair under a shower with warm water daily or several times a week with a good conditioner will help as well as using a leave in with a humectant. You have to get your hair used to water and once it gets used to it products will react better. Also, yogurt which has lactic acid may also help to smooth the shaft. I used Dr. Bonner's mild unscented baby soap and conditioner daily for three months and my hair did very well and held it's moisture. I no longer have to shampoo like that daily anymore but I do co wash daily and shampoo as needed. I was using Kinky Curly Knot Today as my leave in when my hair was less than a mili inch but now that my hair is more than two inches I find that it makes my hair dry too fast so I have stopped using that and now use the kinky curly spritz and s curl.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Pompous Blue

I agree @almond eyes.

But not everyone's hair responds to the same things. This MHM has revolutionized my hair's progress.

The problem I had with over-manipulation was Steps 4 and 5. I thought the leave-in and gel application would be a bit much for my super-fine 4C hair. Tried it once and decided not to do it ever again. I might try a wash'ngo when my hair reaches maximum hydration. Because I feel I will not have to manipulate it so much to receive curls. So, I apply my L-IN and style-aid then do a flat twist. I'm still able to see tremendous progress modifying this step. Wash 'N goes were never my goal in trying this method.

So there's no damage/breakage during Steps 1, 2 and 3 because my hair does not tangle as badly as it once did. Detangling is a breeze! Styles stay in longer because of the hydration and definition. I dare say, Imma have success with a roller-set or curl-former set. Can't wait to try those again.

snoop

I tried this method twice this week (not using the cherry lola, baking soda, or ACV for my rinses) and I liked it, but I'm not a wash n go person, especially now that winter is coming. I've only used water on my hair in the morning to freshen it up and my hair feels soft and nice. I still have definition at the very ends of each clump and if I stick my fingers into my hair I can feel the definition at the roots as well.

I think that for me the key to seeing the curls all the way to my roots was separating the hair (i.e. the manipulation) for the clay phase. I've been doing clay washes regularly for the past few years and so I did already have some clumping.

I'm wondering if I have been able to retain the moisture from sealing my hair with oil instead of gel and also regular wetting (not just misting) like almond eyes suggested.