Summer Bun Challenge

bluenvy

I think I could handle this challenge if I were relaxed/texlaxed/texturized but I'm natural and it would probably require too much manipulation. Any natural, type 4, APL participants in this challenge? If so I would love your suggestions!

I big chopped last July, had to cut more in September to even out. But I wore buns mostly throughout then to now and my hair grew to Apl last month! My hair is 4b and thick. It's not much manipulation at all. Once a week I wash, dc, m/s and bun using few hair pins, sometimes leaving that same bun in for days. I put a satin scarf on at night. If it looks dry I will gently moisturize my edges and use the end of a comb to push moisturizer back and maintain another day without a need to take bun down. If edges frizz up I use hair jam than put scarf on (edges only) tie the back and sit for 15 minutes for sleekness

LadyPBC

krissyhair - thank you for responding. I would not describe my hair as thick at all:nono: the texture in the crown and around the edges is what gives me trouble:ohwell: it is hard to tame. Oh that all my hair were one texture - like the texture in my nape area:yep:

How thick is your hair? Wearing buns for me is very low manipulation, but my hair is also naturally thin.

LadyPBC

bluenvy - thank you for your response. You are giving me hope. My hair is not even. That's probably one problem but the edges and crown are so unruly. The back is perfect - slicked down and neat, the top looks dry and frizzy most often unless I pull it really tight, pack on the gel and tie it down:ohwell: Seems like too much stress on my strands. I should take a stab at it then send you a picture.

I big chopped last July, had to cut more in September to even out. But I wore buns mostly throughout then to now and my hair grew to Apl last month! My hair is 4b and thick. It's not much manipulation at all. Once a week I wash, dc, m/s and bun using few hair pins, sometimes leaving that same bun in for days. I put a satin scarf on at night. If it looks dry I will gently moisturize my edges and use the end of a comb to push moisturizer back and maintain another day without a need to take bun down. If edges frizz up I use hair jam than put scarf on (edges only) tie the back and sit for 15 minutes for sleekness

LadyPBC

@Dilettante - thank you for your response (should have multiquoted but didn't realize so many addressed my concern). My hair is fine as well. I was thinking that wet bunning might be the way to go but I guess not huh? I'm really considering (for the millionth time) tex-laxing. I think that would make it a bit more manageable in the crown area and it would lay down easier. Do you ladies have any pictures of your buns with your natural hair? @Dilettante @bluenvy krissyhair ?

My hair is naturally very fine and thin too. I'm a 4a and my longest layer is brushing BSL (it comes down past my shoulder blades). So far bunning has worked really well on my hair so long as I don't bun on wet hair and keep up with my deep conditioning and protein treatments.

Last edited:

bluenvy

LadyPBC you welcome. IMO pomade works better for hold because it makes the hair soft & moist, not crunchy and dried out like gel. Since you said it I will patiently wait for your pics :)

bluenvy

The Lets JAM brand. I tried and like the pink and the green top. I put in on edges only than smooth back with soft bristle brush

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 48

Dilettante

@Dilettante - thank you for your response (should have multiquoted but didn't realize so many addressed my concern). My hair is fine as well. I was thinking that wet bunning might be the way to go but I guess not huh? I'm really considering (for the millionth time) tex-laxing. I think that would make it a bit more manageable in the crown area and it would lay down easier. Do you ladies have any pictures of your buns with your natural hair? @Dilettante @bluenvy krissyhair ?

I avoid bunning wet hair, because I feel it causes tension and mid shaft splits as the curls shrink up.

Maybe experiment with bunning before you commit to texlaxing. I have no problem with texlaxing, but I rarely hear of these products agreeing with fine hair in the long term. Just my two cents.

Miss617

Always left of center
I fell off for about a week and a half because I cut my hair and the length was kind of awkward for bunning. I experimented today and was able to get it into a high bun, so I'm back in for the rest of the challenge. Guess it's a good thing I didn't cut all of my relaxed hair off yet!

Pennefeather

I did my three month relaxer yesterday and saw some nice growth. There are a bunch of things that I think I can attribute it to, but I am certain part of it is the bunning. My front and sides look great. The back is struggling since I have a lot of breakage from earlier this year when I had a six month stretch, and multiple SSK on an hourly basis!:nono:

Still maintaining my buns. I dried and flat ironed it yesterday for the first time in months - I had to check my length. :grin: Then I decided to curl it and leave it out. Five minutes later, it was back in the bun. So I am continuing my multi month streak of bunning with excellent results.:yep:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Checking in. Still bunning away.
I haven't had the time to devote to straightening to length check it but I think I've finally made BSL instead of grazing [feels like it when I pull my hair down]. I'll see whenever the CWK plates arrive (hopefully soon) because I'd prefer not to have to LC with direct heat if I can help it.

bluenvy

Today's bun. I wet with water and applied leave in, slick edges down using Eco styler and silk scarf

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 85

natstar

Although I just found out about this challenge, I'm going to start but not formally join until the next bunning challenge starts. I have been bunning during the week (Mon-Thursday) and wash n go on the weekend. I hope I get some good growth from this.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Ladies, I haven't been good with checking in but I have been faithful to the bun 7 days a week. I believe I will be in a bun until the end of the year.

krissyc39

About to go back on this challenge after a vacation last week. I've been averaging about 2 days/week with buns (although I protective style maybe 5x weekly) but I'll make the conscious effort to bun the extra day for the last stretch.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have gone back to my chunky braids. I did a bun with the braids and I really like it

Attachments

• 20140819_175445.jpg
    20140819_175445.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 93

krissyc39

Last week's bun takedown turned into a disaster! It looked fine enough in the week but it was so tangled and matted when I took it out. I lost so much hair, my strands felt like **** and I had to use a fine tooth comb for the first time in months. Two protein and deep conditioning treatments later and my hair feels normalish but I'm scared the damage is irreparable. My hair is in 4 braids now :( :wallbash: :wallbash: