What have ever done to your hair that you regret?

naija24

not staying natural in college and growing it out. i could have just straightened it whenever i felt like it but i always felt like i had to get a relaxer in order to do that. now, i want to BC but i feel like i can't anymore.

brebre928

-Getting blonde highlights/lowlights, which resulted in me having to BC a second time :-/
-Letting my cousin put tracks in my hair she braided it so tight my hair fell out.

Last edited:

natstar

Yeah I regret not trimming more often.
Being rough with my hair during my wash n go.
Not balancing out my wash n gos with more protective styles.
Wearing buns EVERYDAY- I was too focused on length and not on style.

LaBelleLL

I regret not giving up relaxers YEARS ago. I regret that horrible dye job back in 1993 that made my hair fall out LOL I've been paranoid since then. I went from APL to NL. I regret using henna. Now I can't dye my hair any color except brown on my roots.

BostonMaria can you tell me more about henna? You can't dye your hair? What color do you want to dye it? What does henna have to do with this?

koolkittychick

Trying to self-relax earlier this year. Took out a patch of my nape that is growing back but is not blending well with almost waist-length hair.

Also not learning fast enough that using a comb and stretching a relaxer for 3+ months do not mix with my hair type. Now I have roughly 60% of my hair at waist length, with the rest at every length between 1 inch and waist due to breakage, and the damage is not distributed evenly enough to adequately conceal when I wear my hair down. I really should just cut it all back to BSB to even it out, but I don't want to let go of the length I use to keep my hair out of the way as I decide whether I'm going to go ahead and just transition, since I'm already 4 months post, and it's a lot easier to put my hair in an updo with no tension and not deal with it when (most) of it is this long. :ohwell:

Pinkicey

Trying to self-relax earlier this year. Took out a patch of my nape that is growing back but is not blending well with almost waist-length hair. Also not learning fast enough that using a comb and stretching a relaxer for 3+ months do not mix with my hair type. Now I have roughly 60% of my hair at waist length, with the rest at every length between 1 inch and waist due to breakage, and the damage is not distributed evenly enough to adequately conceal when I wear my hair down. I really should just cut it all back to BSB to even it out, but I don't want to let go of the length I use to keep my hair out of the way as I decide whether I'm going to go ahead and just transition, since I'm already 4 months post, and it's a lot easier to put my hair in an updo with no tension and not deal with it when (most) of it is this long. :ohwell:

I am thinking about self relaxing. Why do you think you lost a patch of hair?

BostonMaria

BostonMaria can you tell me more about henna? You can't dye your hair? What color do you want to dye it? What does henna have to do with this?

LaBelleLL

My understanding is that Henna sticks to your hair shaft and no amount of dynamite will remove it. It doesn't fade away either. I still have a reddish hue to my henna'd hair which is noticeable in the sun. Sounds pretty, but not so much LOL Because the henna penetrated my hair shaft I now cannot dye my hair at all. Like absolutely no amount of hair dye will make it change color. For example, I want to dye my hair black but instead i'll get some black and a red hue on different parts of my hair. One time I wanted an auburn color and only the virgin (non-henna) part of my hair took the dye. It looked a hot mess.

I've been to several salons and they tell me the same thing. I'd have to BC in order to get rid of the henna. We're talking like 10 inches of hair if not more. It ain't happening. I guess I'll wait till it grows out and I'll slowly trim. That should only take about 10 years :sad:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I regret those bangs I cut for myself in the 9th grade :lol:

I regret the one time I got finger waves and my scalp itched like crazy immediately afterwards but I refused to wash them out because I'd paid so much for them.

I regret not going natural a lloooong time ago.

BostonMaria

BostonMaria do you like the results of henna otherwise? I was thinking about trying it. I don't dye my hair (yet) so that would be a non factor for me.

No I don't like it at all :blush:

KCcurly I edited my response to add...

The reason why I do not like henna is because it dried my hair out. Some people gave it great reviews and said that it made their hair soft. I had the opposite problem. It made my hair very dry with every application. I stopped using henna after a year. Plus it was very messy. Instead I now use amla powder, which my hair loves, and its helped make my hair feel soft/moisturized. I highly recommend it. I only use the powder. The oil smells like butt LOL

Last edited:

koolkittychick

I am thinking about self relaxing. Why do you think you lost a patch of hair?
Pinkicey, it was my fault; I mistimed my application speed, and ended up letting the relaxer sit on that section for almost 15 minutes past the maximum time allowed while I finished up the other sections. Don't ever do this with a lye relaxer, even if you have thoroughly based your scalp. The fact that I based my scalp really well is what saved me from third degree chemical burns (I only had some redness and swelling--no scabs--for about a week afterward in the area), but cost me in that the relaxer became a depilatory (think Nair) on the hairs in the affected area, and they came right out--all 22 inches of them.

Pinkicey

Pinkicey, it was my fault; I mistimed my application speed, and ended up letting the relaxer sit on that section for almost 15 minutes past the maximum time allowed while I finished up the other sections. Don't ever do this with a lye relaxer, even if you have thoroughly based your scalp. The fact that I based my scalp really well is what saved me from third degree chemical burns (I only had some redness and swelling--no scabs--for about a week afterward in the area), but cost me in that the relaxer became a depilatory (think Nair) on the hairs in the affected area, and they came right out--all 22 inches of them.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

*CherryPie*

Wearing tight ponytails in my teens and 20s. My edges haven't been the same since.

That's all I got. All of the other mistakes I'm cool with....they were fun.

Lilmama1011

With my relaxer in the 8th grade and letting this Dominican chick chop all my hair off because she said I needed. Never got to swing my hair so long before

SEMO

Using the Tangle Teezer detangling brush (I threw it away, but wish I could have lit it on fire). I have fine strands and it gave me mid shaft splits all over. It's taken me years to grow out the damage (and I only used the brush once or twice). I trimmed my hair yesterday and I still have maybe 3 inches of hair that I can tell was damaged by the brush.

I've been slowly trimming away the damage as it grows and hope to cut off the last of it in the next six months. My ends haven't felt normal in so long.

msdeevee

My worst regret happened recently.

We had a death in the family. I wanted to put my hair in a protective style but didn't have the time to go to my regular braider. My niece suggested that we go to this African braider that I thought she knew.

That was the worst braiding experience I've ever had . My head that night was on fire. I could barely lift my head & had to take Tylenol & make myself a stiff drink. That very night I took the edges out so they wouldn't be pulled out. I wanted to take the braids out that night but I let my Niece talk me out of it telling me how cute the style looked. I had those torturous braids in for a week & a half when I took them out I had big bald spots on both sides of my head.

I've never had bald spots ever in my life. It was clean, shiny bald.

It's been 2 months now. I've been massaging my scalp w/ JBCO, Hair fertilizer& temple & nape balm so I'm relieved to see the spots filling in but after finally getting my slow growing hair to almost BSL I needed a deep trim of about 4" because my hair was also very tangled & matted even though I washed, conditioned & detangled my hair before getting it braided. It's like she braided knots into my hair. How could it get so tangled in less than 2 weeks.

Never again!!

The only good thing that came from this (well nothing) but I do make sure to deep condition my hair at least 2x a week & I keep it moisturized.

KinkyRN

Keratin treatment and texturizer. Both led to my 2nd and 3rd big chops. Would probably be shoulder length by now if I had accepted that my hair is kinky, coily and shrinks like crazy!!

Dove56

1). Cutting full, near tailbone length hair in 2007 because I was "tired" of it.

2). Getting a color correction in Jan 2012 then getting more bleach, color, keratin, bleach and watching my hair break off and darn near melt. I know my hair is extremely strong so I kept doing more and more. What a fool I was. Never again. Now it's long, thick and healthy again and I use color but I will not never go crazy with again.

BostonMaria

Keratin treatment and texturizer. Both led to my 2nd and 3rd big chops. Would probably be shoulder length by now if I had accepted that my hair is kinky, coily and shrinks like crazy!!

Damn! I thought about getting a BKT, but kept reading horror stories. Most of my friends that have done this have regretted it. I'm so glad I didn't do it. Sorry you had to BC, but now your hair is healthy and chemical free now.

Back in 1990 I decided to self relax and stretch my relaxers every 4 months. My hair was APL and so pretty for about 3 years. Then in 1993 I allowed a woman to do my hair. Damn just one salon visit and the relaxed ruined my hair. Looking back I think she overprocessed. You'd think I would've learned... I then started to allow stylists to fry my hair every weekend to the point where my hair was always SL and thin. I regret allowing the depence of salons for 10 years.

Dove56

Damn! I thought about getting a BKT, but kept reading horror stories. Most of my friends that have done this have regretted it. I'm so glad I didn't do it. Sorry you had to BC, but now your hair is healthy and chemical free now.

Back in 1990 I decided to self relax and stretch my relaxers every 4 months. My hair was APL and so pretty for about 3 years. Then in 1993 I allowed a woman to do my hair. Damn just one salon visit and the relaxed ruined my hair. Looking back I think she overprocessed. You'd think I would've learned... I then started to allow stylists to fry my hair every weekend to the point where my hair was always SL and thin. I regret allowing the depence of salons for 10 years.

I think keratin is the bomb. Most folks have bad results because stylists turn the heat up very high and go over the hair too many times. I use QOD Organiq Max, it's cystine based, a couple of times a year. I use about 375° - 410° and only do 1 - 2 passes. I can keep my curls but when I straighten my hair is humidity resistant. :)

Platinum

I regret relaxing my hair and getting a sew-in after being natural for 3 years. All of the hair in the top of my head broke off and I ended up transitioning back to natural.:sad: Three months ago, I decided to lock my hair. I wish I didn't relax my hair back in 2012, I would have been 5 years natural and I'm sure that my locs would have been at least APL by now(due to shrinkage).