Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
August 19,2014

Devotional:

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 (NASB)

Nothing could keep Jesus from coming to save you — not the distance between heaven and earth, not the difficulty of an unexpected pregnancy, not a city fully of travelers and parents tired from a long journey, certainly not a maniacal king who sought to snuff out his life, not jeering mobs crying crucify him, not disciples that abandoned him, not soldiers that mocked him, not a whip that raked his flesh, and not a cross that claimed his physical life. So what makes you think he would let you go or give up on you after his love has captured your heart?

Prayer:
Abba Father, help me understand your love more fully. Give me strength to overcome the doubts Satan has tried to plant in my heart. Bless me with your gracious power and transform me out of my own weakness into a useful tool for your service. Keep my eyes fixed on the Lord whose hand will not let the waves claim me nor let my own doubts destroy me. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish, And the hope of strong men perishes. Proverbs 11:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 20, 2014

Devotional:

One person [fn]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. Romans 14:5 (NASB)

So often we let personal preference, peer pressure, and concerns about the celebration of certain days, especially holidays, have a divisive effect on our Christian relationships. Bottom line, we're not to try to press our opinion or position on anyone else. We're not to judge another because he doesn't celebrate a special day to the Lord and we're not to judge another because she does celebrate special days. This is a matter of personal conviction that revolves around our desire to please the Lord and to honor him in ways we feel are appropriate. Let's not be so insecure that we have to do what everyone else does or force anyone else to do as we prefer. Instead, let's remember the right angle to take with all things: honor God with everything we are and to consider the needs of our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Prayer:
O Father, please forgive us for fracturing the fellowship of your people based on human observances and our preference about those observances. As for me, Father, please give me courage to honor Christ according to my convictions, but also please give me the wisdom to do so in ways that bless your people and that do not cause division. I know I will never fully succeed at this goal, but I do believe with your help, I will find ways to bring you the glory due you and to also maintain my fellowship with your children. Purify my heart in this matter and guide me in the way I need to go. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 21, 2014

Devotional:

And the Word became flesh, and [fn]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [fn]the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14 (NASB)

Jesus is God's message. It wasn't a message contained in a book or given in a vision, or revealed on a mountain to only a watchful few. No, God's message was human flesh, bone, and blood. God's message came and lived among us. He faced our hardship, got our dirt between his toes, felt our disappointments, struggled with our temptations, suffered our treachery, and bled our blood. Yet living in our world, God's message brought us more than truth; he delivered us from death by God's grace.

Prayer:
Almighty God, thank you for speaking in the past through your prophets. Thank you for inspiring godly men to give us your Scripture. Thank you for making the proclamation of your Word powerful today through the convicting work of the Holy Spirit. May I hear you truth in each of these areas. Most of all, Father, I praise you for speaking your clearest, more profound, and most accessible message in Jesus. Because of Jesus, I know you love me, I know you have cleansed me, and I know I will share heaven with you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and may my gratitude be seen in the quality and character displayed in my life. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective [fn]prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 22, 3014

Devotional:

so then let us not sleep as [fn]others do, but let us be alert and [fn]sober. 1 Thessalonians 5:6 (NASB)

So many sleep walk through life. They never are awake enough to really live. But we are not going to do that with our lives! We are alive because we know Jesus has come and not only brought us life, but he has also showed us how to live. So we are going to be alert. we are going to be self-controlled. We're going to be fully alive, because we know Jesus' return is imminent and our day of salvation and deliverance is near.

Prayer:
Forgive me, Heavenly Father, for the times that I have lost my sense of urgency to live for Jesus. Use the Holy Spirit within me to arouse my passions to serve him with my eyes wide open and heart set on great and heavenly things. I know you can, and will, do more than I can ask or imagine, but please, awaken me to dream great dreams and imagine great things for your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. Psalm 34:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 23, 2014

Devotional:

For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 2 Corinthians 4:17 (NASB)

Life can be very tough. Eventually, our body is going to die. In the process of living, we're going to face some very difficult circumstances and going to experience some awful pain. But, as bad as life's hard realities can be, we are headed for an eternal glory beyond our imagining. Life's difficulties simply can't compare to this glory that awaits us. Our pain is temporary. The things that cause our pain are temporary. The treatments, the prescriptions, the therapies, the surgeries, the setbacks are all temporary. All these things that we have seen and experienced are passing. But our eternal glory, our indescribable bliss, that wonderful future that we cannot yet see, is eternal... forever... incorruptible... and reserved for us, God's precious children!

Prayer:
Dear God, my Abba Father, please be with me during the painful and difficult passages of my life. Help me keep my heart fixed on what is unseen. In addition, dear Father, I want to pray that you please be present in the lives of the following people I love... Please grant them healing. If not healing, dear Father, please pour your love into their hearts through the Holy Spirit and give them rugged perseverance and indestructible hope. Help them see your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. Galatians 6:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 25, 2014

Devotional:

Open your mouth, judge righteously, And [fn]defend the rights of the afflicted and needy. Proverbs 31:9 (NASB)

"No room in the inn!" "Placed him in a manger!" So often we play favorites with the rich, beautiful, powerful, and prestigious. Isn't it interesting that God revealed himself as the defender of the widow, the orphan, and the alien and then entered the world as the child of a Jewish carpenter and a young virgin from a small town. God wants us to notice those in need around us. He wants it to be more than an annual good gesture at Christmas. He wants us to be advocates for the folks like Joseph, Mary, and Jesus. We're not just told to be fair; we're told to defend and to plead the rights of those in need. When we do, we do it for him (see Matthew 23).

Prayer:
Make me more aware, Holy Father, of those around me who need your love and grace. Make me your instrument to defend them and to serve them. Open my eyes to see Jesus in the faces of those in need. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, Savior of all peoples, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who is steadfast in righteousness will attain to life, And he who pursues evil will bring about his own death. Proverbs 11:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 26, 2014

Devotional:

O LORD God of hosts, restore us; Cause Your face to shine upon us, [fn]and we will be saved. Psalm 80:19 (NASB)

In the days of Jesus' birth, there was a group of devout and lowly people who still looked for God's redemption. They knew that salvation could not, and would not, come without great cost — not just to themselves, but also to God. Isaiah had hinted about this in his Servant Songs (see Isaiah 53). They had experienced in their own history. So with honest hearts, they confessed that they didn't have the power to bring salvation and deliverance. This power had to come from God and had to be released to people who were seeking God's transformation in their lives. They needed to ask God for it! They needed to seek his face, his presence, in their daily lives. So must we!

Prayer:
O LORD, God of heaven and earth, Ruler of all creation, I praise you. I praise you for your power and glory. I praise you for your wisdom and creativity. I praise you for your mercy and righteousness. I praise you, because you alone are worthy of my praise. O LORD, you alone can bring me full salvation. Please, shine your face upon me. Please, make your presence known in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [fn]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God [fn]as a fragrant aroma. Ephesians 5:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 27, 2014

Devotional:

“Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through [fn]Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and [fn]through Him everyone who believes is [fn]freed [fn]from all things, from which you could not be [fn]freed [fn]through the Law of Moses. Acts 13:38-39 (NASB)

Law couldn't do it. Sacrifices couldn't do it. Piety couldn't do it. Religious practices couldn't do it. Only Jesus can bring full forgiveness of sins. Only Jesus can make us fully righteous and holy. Forgiveness and righteousness come through him.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, God Almighty, I confess that your Son is my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. I thank you Jesus for being my Lord and paying the price for my sins. I ask, blessed Holy Spirit, that you help me fashion more of Jesus' character and compassion in my life. In Jesus' name ask for this blessing. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the LORD his God, Who made heaven and earth, The sea and all that is in them; Who keeps [fn]faith forever; Psalm 146:5-6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 28, 2014

Devotional:
‘AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.’ And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “[fn]Be saved from this perverse generation!” So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand [fn]souls. Acts 2:21, 40-41 (NASB) Call on the name of the Lord! Proclaim him as your risen Lord! Share with him in baptism as the first Christians did. Have God add you to his holy people. Know that Jesus will save you from the corruption that plagues our world and so many of our lives. You see, God sent Jesus to save, redeem, restore, and bless. Share in the joy of that salvation. Don't wait! Today is the day of salvation! Share in it. Rejoice in it. Pass it on to others. Christ our King has come to bring his salvation to all!

Prayer: Father, thank you for sending Jesus the first time to die for my sins! Thank you for sending Jesus into my heart to comfort and to strengthen me and to work on my life! Thank you most of all for my salvation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 29, 2014

Devotional:

Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David, in order to register along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child. Luke 2:4-5 (NASB)

Let's journey with Joseph and Mary as they experience the incredible grace of God. These verses give us the basics: they took a trip south from their home, they went to Bethlehem which was King David's city, they were "betrothed" or pledged in marriage but not yet fully married, Mary was pregnant, and they were going there to register with the Roman government. Intrigue and scandal ripple between the lines of this straightforward account. Promise and fulfillment are strongly suggested with the connection. Faithfulness through the midst of storm is demonstrated. A real historical context for everyday people is made with the presence of a Roman census. Scandal, promise, faithfulness, and history collide. Jesus enters our world very much in a place where we find ourselves — a place of hope and dreams marred by scandal and disappointment. He will be a people's Messiah. We know it before he is even born. It makes us love him and appreciate him more. God has chosen to enter our world as one of us, not as some pristine and untouched alien from beyond. This is a Messiah we can reach and follow. This Jesus is one of us.

Prayer:
Holy and loving God, thank you for the gift of Jesus. Thank you that he entered our messy world with all its contradictions, ironies, and conflicts. Thank you for not being aloof or immune to our struggles. Thank you for Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But He was [fn]pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our [fn]well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed. Isaiah 53:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 30, 2014

Devotional:

While they were there, the days were completed for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a [fn]manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2:6-7 (NASB)

Jesus entered our world in the most normal of ways for a child: the time came, his mother gave birth, he was wrapped in soft cloth, and placed in a crib. Only this was the Son of God who was born. His crib was a corncrib where animals ate, not a baby's crib. His room was a stable because there was no room for him. It wasn't just normal; it was common, even below average conditions for his birth. Can you imagine? The Holy God who created everything enters our world as a baby to share our way of life as one of us. Why? He loves us and wants us to come home to him. Incredible! Incredible story. Incredible love. Incredible God!

Prayer:
O LORD God Almighty, how can I ever show you how much the gift of your Son means to me? I am struck with wonder and joy that you should love me in this incredible way. Please accept my praise and adoration for both you and your Son. Praise to you, loving Father, for your indescribable gift! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore from now on we recognize no one [fn]according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ [fn]according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. 2 Corinthians 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 1, 2014

Devotional:

So teach us to number our days, That we may [fn]present to You a heart of wisdom. Psalms 90:12 (NASB)

So often we look up and time has passed us by. The things we promised ourselves we'd accomplish and the deeds we told others we'd do get left undone. Before we know it, days have become weeks, and weeks months, and months years. We find ourselves unable to do what we once assumed we could do any time we want. We must ask the Spirit of God to help us see and seize the opportunities the LORD places in our path.

Prayer:
Father, I confess that so often I leave undone what needs to be done. Please help me see your plans in each of my days and live in a way which not only honors you, but also blesses those you want me to reach. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, [fn]prepare your minds for action, [fn]keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace fnto be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 2, 2014

Devotional:

For the grace of God has appeared, [fn]bringing salvation to all men, [fn]instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, Titus 2:11-12 (NASB)

In a world which has no absolutes, in a world in search of moral standards, salvation by the costly grace of God beckons us to change our lifestyles in response to God's grace. Anyone who receives grace and refuses to pursue righteousness demonstrates his/her ignorance or hardness of heart. In our day, in our time, to be saved means to pursue righteousness — not so that we may earn our salvation, but so that God's saving grace will not be fruitless in us.

Prayer:
Holy Father, I confess that I live in a confusing time. Satan is always distorting the distinction between right and wrong, good and evil, moral and immoral. Because you have been so gracious with me, may my life today reflect the righteousness you gave me through Jesus. "May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart, be pleasing in your sight, my Rock and my Redeemer." Through Jesus, my atoning sacrifice I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.” Matthew 18:20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 3, 2014

Devotional:

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love [fn]kindness, And to walk [fn]humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 (NASB)

God's desires for us are not hard to discern. He wants to bless us with salvation. The incredible gift of his Son is powerful testimony to this truth. Yet salvation from sin and death is not something he wants to happen in our lives just once. He wants our lives to daily reflect his salvation and to share it with others. When we act justly, pursue mercy in our relationships, and honour him with our worship from a humble heart then God's salvation becomes real in our lives and impacts others with his grace. In the language of Jesus, we work for God's kingdom to come and will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Prayer:
Almighty and compassionate Father, as I embrace this New Year, help my eyes see what your heart sees. Teach me to hate sin and to be merciful to all who need mercy. Teach me to know truth and act fairly, while hating abuse and exploitation. Through your Spirit, stir me to reflect on the great distance between your holy majesty and my inconsistent character. Make me wholly your child, I pray, in Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“You shall walk in all the way which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 4, 2014

Devotional:

“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do evil, Learn to do good; Seek justice, Reprove the ruthless, [fn]Defend the orphan, Plead for the widow. Isaiah 1:16-17 (NASB)

Do you find it easy to replace service to those in need with religious rituals? I know I do! But God wants us to not get so caught up in talking about him and celebrating his deeds, that we forget we're suppose to care for others like he does. Whether it is Jesus defining his ministry in Luke 4:18-19 or James talking about the kind of piety that pleases God (Jas. 1:26-27), we must realize true faith is treating others as God would. Today's verse defines what God does and instructs us to live in the same way.

Prayer:
O Great God of all comfort, open my eyes today to see those who need your love and give me the attentiveness, time, and compassion to serve them. May Jesus' work be seen in my life today. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the choir director. A Psalm of David. The heavens are telling of the glory of God;

And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalm 19:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 5, 2014

Devotional:

Therefore, [fn]prepare your minds for action, [fn]keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace [fn]to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 (NASB)

When Jesus came the first time, he came to reveal God (John 1:18). As wonderful, powerful, and gracious as he was in his earthly ministry, he did not fully reveal all who he is. Our hope is tied to his return. When he comes this time, he won't come to reveal God, but to reveal himself — the conquering Lord, the Rider on the white horse. Every knee will bow. We will get to see him as he really and fully is — Immanuel in power and grace, triumphant in every way. When we set our hope on Jesus' grace when he returns, we can be confidently ready for active service to our king today. We can live under his leadership with obedience and praise today.

Prayer:
O Almighty God, I long for the day when I get to see Jesus face to face coming with the angels in power. Until that time, fasten my heart in hope to the glory Jesus will share with me on that day, and please empower me to live as one who knows that victory is mine in Jesus. Jesus, through your powerful name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun [fn]beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the [fn]water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.” Revelation 7:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 6, 2014

Devotional:

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [fn]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God [fn]as a fragrant aroma. Ephesians 5:1-2 (NASB)

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. If we are to sincerely flatter God by being like him, imitation may be the most costly form of flattery as well. You see, love for God is never something that occurs just in our minds or our hearts. Love is something we do for another — it is action. John said in 1 John 4 that we must love in both our deeds and our words. Love means to give ourselves up — what we want, our rights, our desires — to honor God and serve others. This is a kind of love that can change the world, or a marriage, or a family.

Prayer:
Abba Father, I will never fully understand how you could love me so much that you would allow your son to die for me, as my sacrifice. Please help me love others sacrificially. I know the power to do this is not within me, so please pour your love into my heart so that I may share that love with others. Through Jesus, my brother and my sacrifice, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Yet those who [fn]wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will [fn]mount up with [fn]wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 8, 2014

Devotional:

Seek good and not evil, that you may live; And thus may the Lord God of hosts be with you, Just as you have said! Hate evil, love good, And establish justice in the [fn]gate! Perhaps the Lord God of hosts May be gracious to the remnant of Joseph. Amos 5:14-15 (NASB)

A whole bunch of folks claim that God is on their side. In reality, the important question is whether we are on God's side! That's determined more by what we seek and do rather than what we think and say. God longs to be with us, but he will not sacrifice his character to extend us cheap grace, a grace that does not call us to be like him. He's looking for believers who put their character where their mouths are.

Prayer:
Most Holy God. Your righteousness and holiness are beyond me. I know that my best efforts are only vain attempts to attain them. Yet I long, dear Father, to be more like you in every way that it is humanly possible. Let me know of your presence with me as I seek after you and your character in my life. In the name of Jesus the Righteous One I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, Ephesians 3:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 9, 2014

Devotional:

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; Matthew 6:19-20 (NASB)

Where do you hide your heart? What we most value is where we will find our heart. So it is an important question. You see, we can treasure riches, control, security, and relationships. Jesus reminds us that it is only by turning loose of the things that most of us keep as our treasures that we find what is truly treasure indeed.

Prayer:
Majestic Father, I pray that out of the riches of your grace, you may help me find my treasure in you and nothing else. Today, I want to offer you all that I am and have, so that my life will be lived for your glory. In the name of Jesus, my example and treasure I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 10, 2014

Devotional:

but [fn] ike the Holy One who called you, [fn]be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY,” 1 Peter 1:15-16 (NASB)

"Holy" is one of those words we generally associate with the "stained glass ghetto" — a word only "church folks" use. That may be true, but it's still a great concept. Every kid knows that you don't eat hot dogs and potato chips on china. Mom's china is reserved for "special company" or "special occasions." Hot dogs are for paper plates and every day, china is for special events. When God is calling us to be holy, he's calling us to be china — something special just for him, and as Peter emphasizes, just like him.

Prayer:
Holy Lord, God Almighty, I come before you knowing how great the distance is between your holiness and my commonness. I thank you for making me holy through the sacrifice of Jesus and by sending your Holy Spirit to live inside of me. Please receive my life today as a holy offering to you. I pray in the name of Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of my faith. Amen.

Wisdom:
I will give thanks to You, for [fn] am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 11, 2014

Devotional:

From my distress I called upon [fn]the LORD; [fn]The LORD answered me and set me in a large place. The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me? Psalm 118:5-6 (NASB)

The year has been a trying time for people I care about. Maybe it's been that way for you or those you love. My prayer for you, and for them, is that they may know the comfort of God's presence. Whether it's the popular little poem "Footprints" or the familiar "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me," the presence of the Lord is absolutely vital to standing up against our anguish! The Lord does long to be with us, especially at those moments when we feel most alone. He told us that by experiencing anguish, alone, by himself on the cross.

Prayer:
I am thankful, O God, that you refused to be God from a safe distance. Because you came and felt what it was like to be abandoned, forsaken, and alone, I know I can trust that I will never be forsaken by you. Please give me a clearer sense of your presence with me in my life today, I pray through Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, And His greatness is unsearchable. Psalm 145:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 12, 2014

Devotional:

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is [fn]either male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you [fn]belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's [fn]descendants, heirs according to promise. Galatians 3:26-29 (NASB)

One. Basic, simple, and easy to understand. When we become Christians through faith and baptism into Christ, we are made one with all other Christians around the world. Race, gender, and social status are gone. All that's left is One, the One, Jesus. Our lives are his and thus are connected to each other. Our destination is the same, heaven. Our family is the church. No barriers. No closed doors. We are one.

Prayer:
Abba Father, thank you for adopting me into your family. May we be one on earth now, as we will be when we are all together around your throne in heaven. I pray for unity among all those who call upon your name and share your Spirit so the world may know there is a solution to conflict, strife and division. Through Jesus our Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Now all [fn]these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and [fn]He has [fn]committed to us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 13, 2014

Devotional:

namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and [fn]He has [fn]committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:19-20 (NASB)

The price has been paid. The ransom is provided. God's judgment was averted, not because of anything we did to appease him, but by his own sacrifice of Jesus for our sins. If God has gone to such great links to reconcile us to himself and adopt us into his family, how can we refuse? We must not! Father God, we offer you our hearts!

Prayer:
O Gracious God, I know my sin has broken your heart and offended your holiness. Words, therefore, cannot communicate my thankfulness to you. You were hurt by my sin and yet provided a sacrifice to redeem me from it and reconcile me back to you. I praise you for your grace, thank you for your love, and promise to share your mercy. Through Jesus my sacrifice I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession; Hebrews 3:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 15, 2014

Devotional:

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also. 1 John 4:20-21 (NASB)

Love! The word can mean anything. Many in the Christian community have tried to define it by a dictionary or lexicon, not realizing the key word for love, agape, is defined by action. Before Christians got a hold of agape, it meant the same thing our word today does: just about anything! But if you read 1 John, you see what love is by what God does. God demonstrates his love. He asks us to do the same for our brothers and sisters. Love must be more than talk; it must be genuinely demonstrated in action!

Prayer:
Precious Father, you have so graciously shared your love with me. I must confess, in my heart I intend to love others as you do, but my intentions often get washed away with "busy-ness" or timidity. Father, through your Spirit, prompt me to show my love to others in actions rather than just thought and talk. Through Jesus, your greatest demonstration of love I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow. James 1:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 16, 2014

Devotional:

So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, them, you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” John 8:31-32 (NASB)

There are few things more coveted than freedom. People die for it. People pray for it. People strive for it. True freedom comes from knowing truth. Knowing truth ultimately comes by living in obedience to Jesus. Truth is not just something you think about or believe. Truth is something you do, you live. Jesus' teaching often ends with the exclamation: Blessed are you who do these things! Only by doing will we ever know the truth that liberates us.

Prayer:
To the only true God be glory, honor, power and praise. Father I seek not only your presence in my daily life, but also your pleasure in the choices I make. Please teach me more of your truth as I pledge to live today in obedience to your word and your will. Through Jesus the living Word I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the gods of the peoples are [fn]idols, But the Lord made the heavens. Psalm 96:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 18, 2014

Devotional:

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Galatians 6:7-8 (NASB)

Isn't it incredible how huge trees grow out of tiny seeds! This principle runs throughout all of life. We can never completely get away from the seeds we sow. So let's don't try to fool ourselves while we're trying to do a "snow job" on God. Let's make sure the seeds we sow are the ones we want sprouting up!

Prayer:
O Eternal God, who lived before time began and who will be the Great I AM when time is no more, bless the seeds I sow that they may bear fruit to you and bless those I love. Through Jesus, the grain of wheat who died and was buried so that true life may flower forth. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the [fn]agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to beheld [fn]in its power. Acts 2:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 19, 2014

Devotional:

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NASB)

TEMPTATION... We've all been there. Satan's silver bullet designed just for us personally. "No one will ever know; besides it won't hurt anybody!" some mysterious voice sounding like our own whispers. Even if those two statements were true, and they never really are, it would matter because something inside of us caved in to what we knew was wrong. One line of defense is to simply remind ourselves we are not alone in this temptation — others have faced it and conquered it, so we can too, by God's help and the power of his Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Most Holy Father, guard my heart from temptation and my life from sin. I want to serve you with wholehearted devotion. Forgive me for my past sin, and by your grace and through your word, strengthen me with your Holy Spirit so that I may overcome the temptations that Satan uses to separate me from you. Through my Protector and Redeemer I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; Love her, and she will watch over you. Proverbs 4:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 20, 2014

Devotional:

“In everything, therefore, [fn]treat people the same way you want [fn]them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12 (NASB)

The Golden Rule — golden because it's genuine, lasting, and valuable. Imagine how different our world would be if we practiced this principle — not just in our "church life" but in our daily life... ..with our family, ...with our coworkers and employer, ...with the people we manage, ...with the folks on the freeway and in the neighborhoods where we drive, ...toward the waiters and waitresses who serve us. What a wonderfully different world it would be if the Golden Rule were to be practiced. I think I'll start changing my world with it today! How about you?

Prayer:
Generous Father, you have blessed me with so many rich and wonderful gifts. I can never ever adequately express to you the thanks you deserve. One thing I want you to know, dear Father, is that I especially appreciate the way you have treated me with grace and not with justice or judgment. Give me the power to do the same with the people my life touches this week. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Leave the presence of a fool, Or you will not [fn]discern [fn]words of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 22, 2014

Devotional:

[fn]Ask, and it will be given to you; [fn]seek, and you will find; [fn]knock, and it will be opened to you. “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 (NASB)

Ask! So often we're afraid to ask for help because we have to admit we don't have the answers. Seek! Effort and interest and perseverance are necessary and that's sometimes hard. Knock! In an era of doorbells, this is a forgotten action. But God wants us to use the A.S.K. principle and bring our hearts before him. So let's don't just whine, complain, desire, and want. Let's A.S.K. our Father and seek his glory.

Prayer:
Waiting Father, I am sorry that so often you only hear my whines and complaints and concerns. You have been so generous with your love. Help me to keep my heart set on you and your will today as I ask you to minister to the things on my heart. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
By wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; Proverbs 24:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 23, 2014

Devotional:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [fn]without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NASB)

Wisdom is that elusive quality we respect in others and find so difficult to develop in ourselves. Yet God promises it to those who really ask. But remember the secret of asking — asking, seeking, and knocking. Or better yet, check out Proverbs 2. Wisdom is ours only if we seek it above all other possessions and value it above all other diversions. God longs to impart it, but there is something about spiritual wisdom that demands we value it before we can receive it.

Prayer
Gracious giver of all good gifts, please bless me with wisdom today. Let me reflect your will and live for your glory in all my decisions. Let your Kingdom guide my heart as I make my choices and have your Spirit lead me in your ways. I confess, Father, that I cannot guide my own steps without your help. So grant me wisdom this day. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31 (NASB)