Low Porosity Support Thread

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I love Redken Cleansing Cream to clarify / chelate. I suppose I will stick with that. If it ain't broke....

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I need a new Chelating item in my stash. I will try this. How much is it divachyk

I think I paid around $16 for it. My recommendation is try a trial size and if you like it, wait for ulta to have that sale they usually have with the huge bottles and stock up then. I will be doing that this year.

divachyk

Beamodel Saludable84, Ulta is having the liter sale right now. Now would be the time to grab Redken if it's being offered on the liter sale. I purchased the liter straight off the top (think it was like $30) because they didn't have a trial size in stock. Ulta will allow you to return used products so I figured I had nothing to lose. Redken is very gentle and doesn't strip.

divachyk

Bump

What conditioner do you use for shower detangling? I love the slip of Tresemme Naturals but I don't believe it agrees with my hair. Or if it does, results are hit and miss.

Beamodel

Beamodel Saludable84, Ulta is having the liter sale right now. Now would be the time to grab Redken if it's being offered on the liter sale. I purchased the liter straight off the top (think it was like $30) because they didn't have a trial size in stock. Ulta will allow you to return used products so I figured I had nothing to lose. Redken is very gentle and doesn't strip.

divachyk

Awe man and I was just there this weekend and didn't even look. I grabbed the Lee stafford treatment.

aviddiva77

Goodness. This makes much more sense. I just did the strand test (I've been natural for 3 years and never did the strand test:nono:) and I'm low porosity. My hair stays dry. I have to add so much water in order for it to get wet and then it never wants to freaking dry.
I have to use heat for my hair to feel the affects and I don't have to use a lot of protein DC.

Why in the hell did I wait so long to find this out?

divachyk

Goodness. This makes much more sense. I just did the strand test (I've been natural for 3 years and never did the strand test:nono:) and I'm low porosity. My hair stays dry. I have to add so much water in order for it to get wet and then it never wants to freaking dry.
I have to use heat for my hair to feel the affects and I don't have to use a lot of protein DC.

Why in the hell did I wait so long to find this out?

Learning this is a game changer aviddiva77

hot_pepper96

Bump

What conditioner do you use for shower detangling? I love the slip of Tresemme Naturals but I don't believe it agrees with my hair. Or if it does, results are hit and miss.

I use either Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner or Diva by Cindy Moisture Conditioner. They are both smoothing but the Design Essentials is a little too heavy for my fine strands and I think it has more cones. I have found that conditioners that have Polyquaternium 32 are really good at detangling my hair, especially if there is also Quaternium 80 in the conditioner as well.

The Diva by Cindy I use now for my final rinse after deep conditioning. I've been following your blog and I swear for the first time I don't feel so alone. I thought I was the only one that had hair that clumps if I don't comb once a day and had to detangle several times during the wash phase. Thank you for sharing your hair experiences with us!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Bump What conditioner do you use for shower detangling? I love the slip of Tresemme Naturals but I don't believe it agrees with my hair. Or if it does, results are hit and miss.

I just started using the body shop banana. Otherwise I use to just use Kanechom Conditoner. It's thin enough to provide good slip.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I use Herbal Essence Totally Twisted or long term relationship. So far, these are the only cheapie conditioners I like.

ScorpioBeauty09

My hair and scalp just love Tresemme Renewal Hair & Scalp line.:grin: I washed my hair tonight with the shampoo and I'm DC-ing with the conditioning mask and as always my scalp feels amazing. I went longer than I planned without washing my hair and so my scalp was irritated. But no more.:yep:

I also used BS as a pre-poo mixed with water and essential oils before washing. Good results so far.:yep:

Smiley79

bumping to read later....I just learned that I have low porosity hair. Always dry and brittle. When I did the strand test, those hairs stayed floating forever, lol.

fasika

I just did the strand test too. I put my hairs in a glass of water and forgot them for like 30 min. They're still floating!!

I'm wondering if the fact that my hair has product on it was perhaps the reason? I co-washed yesterday morning, sealed with grapeseed oil and some gel.

faithVA

I just did the strand test too. I put my hairs in a glass of water and forgot them for like 30 min. They're still floating!!

I'm wondering if the fact that my hair has product on it was perhaps the reason? I co-washed yesterday morning, sealed with grapeseed oil and some gel.

Your hair should be product free. And the water should be warm.

Smiley79

Looking back at so many of my threads and posts on this board, I feel like I haven't made much progress with my hair. Once in a while I'll have a breakthrough, but its short-lived. Dry, brittle and lifeless hair that doesn't do much of anything. Hopefully this thread will offer some suggestions and/or better understanding for me to deal with my hair.

divachyk

Smiley79, shampooing more (to remove buildup that blocks moisture) and increasing protein usage (to give structure to the hair to hold on to moisture) has helped me tremendously.

faithVA

I've done this test before and I didn't realize that the water needed to be warm. I might have to do the test tonight....

It's supposed to be a similar temperature to the water you would wash your hair with. Warm water supposedly causes your cuticle to open. So the water needs to be 60+ degrees. It shouldn't be extremely hot, nor boiling.

BeautifulRoots

Hmmm I never knew the water was supposed to be warm either. My hair floated for hours so I just assumed I was lo po. I'll try the warm water.

Smiley79

I've been complaining about how dry and limp my hair as been lately. Last night I went to a natural hair salon for a steam treatment and trim. After the girl examined my hair and scalp, I notice that she clarified my hair and then shampooed it 2 more times. My initial thought was oh no, my hair is gonna be so dry. I was so shocked that after the clarifying wash, 2 shampoos and the steam treatment, my hair felt soooo good. I thought to myself, I think my hair missed shampoo. for most of my natural hair journey, I hopped on the no-poo bandwagon and only shampooed occasionally. As I look though this thread I realize that I am a heavy product user, but I am not cleaning my hair well enough to remove the buildup in order for it to let moisture and treatments in. I'm so glad I went to the Natural Hair salon and go this wake up call. Now that I got a trim and fresh start for my hair, I'm going to incorporate regular shampooing just like I used to back in the day before I joined the No-Poo hype, lol. I'm going to pay attention and see if I notice a positive difference in my hair by doing so. And as I mentioned in another thread, I think I need a steamer in my life asap!

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
faithVA I used room temperature water and my hair had some serum from 2 weeks ago and a little Chi Keratin spray. I will test again when my hair is clean

Eta I did the test again with clean hair and warm water. Hair is still floating. I will check again in 20 minutes

Last edited:

nlamr2013

Hey ladies been gone for a min not that my hair has been optimal lol
Anywho I just bought some tresemme naturals as well as soft sheen Carson activator cream. It didn't even occur to me until I got home that the glycerine in the activation may not be best for winter.

What do you ladies use in colder months I need to get my hair on track.
I thought the mud washes were doing me well but last two weeks it has left my hair oily yet still dry sigh