How often could you safely flat iron your hair?

How often can you safely flat iron?

• every other day

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • once a week

Votes: 199 32.7%
  • once a fortnight

Votes: 77 12.6%
  • once a month

Votes: 152 25.0%
  • once every 2 months

Votes: 29 4.8%
  • once every 3-4 months

Votes: 78 12.8%
  • once every 5-6 months

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • once a year

Votes: 20 3.3%
  • other

Votes: 15 2.5%

• Total voters

Britt

I'm hoping for once a month once I wear my natural hair out.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ScorpioBeauty09

I used to flat iron my hair every 2 weeks before I started getting senegalese twists. Now I flat iron every ~2 months to give my hair a break and for maintenance. My hair retained length when I flat ironed, I actually think I can retain better when my hair is straight.:ohwell:

ChannieBoo3

Since my new growth is coming in, I've been flat ironing every week , every time I wash . Usually i would do braid outs or twist outs or sew-ins but lately I've just wanted lazy hair

naija24

When I went to the salon I actually never flat ironed my hair. I'd just blow out the roots.

When I do my own hair, probably 1x a month if that. Depends how much new growth I have. I can go about 6-8 weeks no heat after a fresh relaxer

golden_goddess

I'd say once a week, but I think it has a lot to do with products and technique. You have to find good conditioners (deep & leave in) and you have to use heat protectants. You also have to be careful not to use too much heat for your hair type. Which is why a flat iron with adjustable temperature settings is VERY important. I also prefer blow dryers that have a cool setting.

levette

maybe once a month but i think for myself i would like to cut down to maybe once every other month. no more than 6 times a year for me

CrissieD

I've come to realize I can only flat iron like 2x a year. Even then I will probably still get heat damage :(

Fauxshim

Gym Rat
I'm not sure honestly, I would think it depends on your hair as well as the amount and temperature of heat you're using. I can personally use 450 degrees without heat damage and split ends while others can't go above 350. I only straighten before a trim so that's only a few times a year.

Dove56

My hair is super strong but hates flatirons. I can; however, use my Instyler weekly with no heat damage to my curls, dryness or dullness. My hair has really thrived with my Instyler! As of this past weekend I am back to rollersetting. I will rollerset then do a silk wrap the rest of the year.

shtow

My hair is super strong but hates flatirons. I can; however, use my Instyler weekly with no heat damage to my curls, dryness or dullness. My hair has really thrived with my Instyler! As of this past weekend I am back to rollersetting. I will rollerset then do a silk wrap the rest of the year.

Does the Instyler get the roots straight?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

missbugg21

I voted once every 3-4 months because that is currently how often I flat iron my hair. I could probably do it more often (1-2 times a month) if I wanted to (but I don't) because of the preventive measures I take to avoid heat damage.

Holla

It only takes one time to get heat damage - doesn't matter if that one time is once every 5 years or every 5 days. If you improperly flat iron your hair, you could damage it just that one time. That said, you could flatiron your hair more frequently and not damage it.

PlainJane

I always wonder does the damage from flat ironing come from what you do in between the times you flat iron or the actual flat ironing itself.

Example: I moisturize and seal less when my hair is straight.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness

Dove56 Do you still use the Instyler? I've been checking it out for a while, but many reviewers said they ended up with mid-shaft splits and split ends. Have you experienced negative effects?

ATLcutey20

I normally flat iron every 2 wks. I could do it every week as long as I deep condition. Your moisture/ protein balance must be on point.