Is there a wig vendor we can trust?

CurlsBazillion

I really really want a full lace kinky curly wig. The kinks and curls has to start from the root, not like some wigs that are silky straight for about 2in then its curly. I want to buy the wig, recieve it in a timely manner with kind customer service, and the hair has to be good quality. Is this too much to ask for? I've been searching, and researching wig vendors and found that, ruth's beauty shop has a bad rep, zarawigs.com has a bad rep, vixen lace wigs got put on blast by two yt gurus, I ordered from platinum wigs and got attitude and the hair was supposed to be remy and I believe it was a human hair blend, rpgshow seems to sends yt reviewers nice wigs and their consumers crappy wigs (well the few I've seen on yt), speaking of yt...I'm very tired of ppl telling us to "go to youtube, there are a ton of reviews on it" and little do they know the reviewers 9 times out of 10 (ETA: well maybe less) are being paid to lie for ex: Genisis Brazillian Hair Company got rave reviews from a seemingly down to earth, honest, nice yt guru. If you scroll down and read the comments you'd see A LOT of "The hair I recieved is a tangled sheding mess" guru: "You should contact the hair company because I think you got a bad batch". A bad batch? Really?!

Ok so somehow this became a rant and I really didn't mean to, all I want is a fabulous wig. Can a lady get a quality wig?

Last edited:

Tiye

Try the lace wig section at bhm (black hair media). There are plenty of threads reviewing different vendors. There's going to be someone who's unhappy no matter what the vendor but you can get the names of the highest rated vendors. Email them with your specs and see which response you like the best.

ThatJerseyGirl

I've had no problems from the following:

www.lhboitique.com
www.pinklacewigs.com

Pink lace is located in Silver Spring on Geogia Ave, so the pics do the wigs no justice, but thise two websites have excellent wigs and customer service.

naturalmanenyc

CaliforniaLaceWigs.com gets great reviews but her wigs are expensive.

You can try a Chinese vendor but it's hit or miss with them too. Even the BHM ladies will tell you there is no perfect vendor.

I have a gorgeous Burmese Curly full lace wig (video is here: http://youtu.be/3HNSMoP9Hvk) but I cannot recommend the Chinese vendor. I made the mistake of recommending them to a good friend, who needed the wig for chemo. The wig came quickly but it was not what she ordered. I felt horrible and am in the process of making sure her refund is processed. In fact, I have a few emails from the vendor now re: where to ship the wig to in China.

She has now ordered some synthetic wigs online and one human hair wig that we found locally but it's cheaper online.

CurlsBazillion

CaliforniaLaceWigs.com gets great reviews but her wigs are expensive.

You can try a Chinese vendor but it's hit or miss with them too. Even the BHM ladies will tell you there is no perfect vendor.

I have a gorgeous Burmese Curly full lace wig (video is here: http://youtu.be/3HNSMoP9Hvk) but I cannot recommend the Chinese vendor. I made the mistake of recommending them to a good friend, who needed the wig for chemo. The wig came quickly but it was not what she ordered. I felt horrible and am in the process of making sure her refund is processed. In fact, I have a few emails from the vendor now re: where to ship the wig to in China.

She has now ordered some synthetic wigs online and one human hair wig that we found locally but it's cheaper online.

I actually wanted a wig from californialacewigs thanks for letting me know they have a good reputation!

Exotichairla.com, eloquenthair.com, I've had no problems with fancyfashionista either.

Thanks, I'm gonna check these sites out today.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

I'd like to know too. I checked into the BHM thread a few weeks ago but it became spammed by Chinese vendors posing as members to reco their own sites. Thanks for the info Ladies.

naturalmanenyc

ThatJerseyGirl

Absolutely! I use LHBoutique. Well, they use to be LHBoutique, but have changed the name to Luxe Beauty Supply. I get my wigs from the all the time, AND, they are located in Waldorf, Maryland. I specifically wear Gabrielle and Shay. The O Zone lace fronts are excellent.

Excellent parting space and the lace is very very soft. Almost like a silk cotton material. Very comfortable to wear. I submitted the link below.

http://www.lhboutique.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=o+zone&Submit=

Another one I highly recommend is:

http://www.pinklacewigs.com/Synthetic-Lace-Front-Wigs_c_71.html

I've worn Solara, Nova & Bentley. The pics do not do the wigs any justice at all. They're located on Georgia Avenue in DC -- right on the Silver Spring line. They are absolutely gorgeous in person.

These are the synthetic glueless lace front wigs.

ThatJerseyGirl

AtlantaJJ

If you go to pinklacewigs.com, India is HOT. I've actually tried that on in the store. When I say hot, it's gorgeous. Like I said, the pic does it no justice at all. http://www.pinklacewigs.com/Synthetic-Lace-Front-Wigs_c_71.html

ThatJerseyGirl She is hot!! I never considered a synthetic wig but with the way my human hair curly has been acting lately, I'm open to suggestions! Have you worn one of their synthetic curly units in the past?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

ThatJerseyGirl

ThatJerseyGirl She is hot!! I never considered a synthetic wig but with the way my human hair curly has been acting lately, I'm open to suggestions! Have you worn one of their synthetic curly units in the past?

Yes. I ONLY wear synthetic wigs. I can't do human. They want too much money and I don't honestly believe that they are %100 human hair wigs. I think they are chemically altered to behave like human, such as flat ironing, etc., but I don't care for them (human) at all. Plus, I'm not doing all of that...flat ironing wigs, etc. The whole purpose of a wig is not to have to style hair, in my opinion. Not that extreme. I'd much rather get a weave if I'm going to do all of that.

The links that I posted are of all synthetic glue-less lace front wigs.

I wish you were in the area so that you can go up and see for yourself. That India wig is hot in person. It looks human. That is the wig for the summer, in my opinion. You don't need any product, etc. Just rock it!

AtlantaJJ

Yes. I ONLY wear synthetic wigs. I can't do human. They want too much money and I don't honestly believe that they are %100 human hair wigs. I think they are chemically altered to behave like human, such as flat ironing, etc., but I don't care for them (human) at all. Plus, I'm not doing all of that...flat ironing wigs, etc. The whole purpose of a wig is not to have to style hair, in my opinion. Not that extreme. I'd much rather get a weave if I'm going to do all of that.

The links that I posted are of all synthetic glue-less lace front wigs.

I wish you were in the area so that you can go up and see for yourself. That India wig is hot in person. It looks human. That is the wig for the summer, in my opinion. You don't need any product, etc. Just rock it!

ThatJerseyGirl Bless you dear! You just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me today! I was just thinking that working on this curly wig of mine is just like doing my own hair. I totally don't need the hassle, I'm looking for a reprieve from my hair, not more work! :lol:

ThatJerseyGirl

ThatJerseyGirl Bless you dear! You just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me today! I was just thinking that working on this curly wig of mine is just like doing my own hair. I totally don't need the hassle, I'm looking for a reprieve from my hair, not more work! :lol:

Chile...I'm tryna tell you. I refuse to work a wig. Depending on what kind you have, you may have to beat it down a few times, but after that, it's a wrap. I'll wash it (swoosh it around in some fabric softener) and let her hand dry somewhere. I just think coloring, flat ironing and do so much to a wig is so unnecessary. This is why I prefer synthetic. It's already styled and all I have to do it put her on....

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I fully trust April Lace wigs. I've gotten 3 wigs so far. Superb customer service and I just ordered yet another one. I'm addicted to their silk tops.

msbettyboop

I've been braiding for a while and I'm a little sick of it. I've been thinking of trying a wig for about a week now so thanks for the links! :)

ThatJerseyGirl

AtlantaJJ -- Have you decided on a wig yet?

I remember a long time ago, I was against wigs. I would only wear my weaves. Now, as the ladies on this board has stated many times, it gives me full access to my hair in terms of deep conditioning, checking status of health, etc.

Now, I'm hooked!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I just bought a lace from WowAfrican..absolutely beautiful quality and color. It took maybe 2 or 3 days for me to get the wig from the time I ordered. So now that's two companies I trust for my wigs.

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ -- Have you decided on a wig yet?

I remember a long time ago, I was against wigs. I would only wear my weaves. Now, as the ladies on this board has stated many times, it gives me full access to my hair in terms of deep conditioning, checking status of health, etc.

Now, I'm hooked!

ThatJerseyGirl I couldn't agree with you more about the usefulness of wigs. I cringe to think of my hair confined for weeks on end under a weave. I don't care how good they look. Also it's expensive to get a weave installed the right way! I pay for a really good wig once and then I have it for years. I'm wearing a Malaysian AA straight right now today that I have had for 3 years. She's still pretty, I'm just bored with her right now. :rofl:

I love washing and conditioning my hair. I suffered from hair loss due to hormone problems in the past. I'm so grateful to have hair on my head again! I NEED to pamper it, do my hennas, use my Ayurveda oils, etc.

The biggest, most practical deal is that I can workout, sweat like a work horse in the morning and go to work still looking fly! On time! :lol:

AtlantaJJ

ThatJerseyGirl I haven't purchased a wig yet. I've been doing my research and trying to decide what I want.

I'm leaning towards a human hair curly, and a kinky straight. I want to do braid outs/twist outs and wash & gos for the summer. I don't mind pampering the hair. It's all about using good products + I can customize them to make them look like my own hair.

I have ordered from California Lace wigs in the past with great success, however I don't feel like breaking off all of my change to her right now so I'm researching the CV's.

I can get two wigs for the price of CFLW one if I do this right and if I get good units, they will last at least 2 + years. I don't sleep in them or wear them every day so they last longer.

ETA: I currently attach my full lace wigs to my wig cap with bobby pins so I'm interested in the new glue-less caps. They were not available the last time I purchased LFWs.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

ThatJerseyGirl I made an executive decision last night based on my research. I ordered a Malaysian curly unit from CLW because I know it's a great quality low maintenance curly unit that will last for years. A bad curly wig is no joke, don't want to take a chance on getting a bad one. I don't trust the CV's when they say units are Brazilian, and Malaysian, yet they are only charging $150.00. That's some old Indian hair, they are not tricking me! I found one honest CV that added $120.00 to the base price of their unit when I chose Malaysian hair. That was getting close to the price of the CLW unit anyways.

I'll roll the dice and get a kinky straight from a CV, I won't feel so bad if it turns into a rat's nest. :lol:

ThatJerseyGirl

ThatJerseyGirl I made an executive decision last night based on my research. I ordered a Malaysian curly unit from CLW because I know it's a great quality low maintenance curly unit that will last for years. A bad curly wig is no joke, don't want to take a chance on getting a bad one. I don't trust the CV's when they say units are Brazilian, and Malaysian, yet they are only charging $150.00. That's some old Indian hair, they are not tricking me! I found one honest CV that added $120.00 to the base price of their unit when I chose Malaysian hair. That was getting close to the price of the CLW unit anyways.

I'll roll the dice and get a kinky straight from a CV, I won't feel so bad if it turns into a rat's nest. :lol:

Executive decision, huh..... Cute!

Im glad you made that decision. And you're right! I hate looking at a dried up curly wig. Can you take a pic of the unit when you receive it? I may have to make that same decision for the summer!