A New Henna Thread

Duchess007

I'm doing it did the first time right now. I'm kinda nervous about my hair drying out.

I second HanaKuroi's point about DCing.
If you DC weekly and M&S as necessary throughout the week, you will never have issues with dryness.

Also, you can always try a henna gloss if you can't strike the right balance with straight henna treatments and DCing. The gloss won't cause dryness at all.

Either way, you'll love it. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

girlcherokee

I henna'd 2 weeks ago with a BAQ henna I got from my local Indian store. I'm starting to develop grays around my hairline that I don't want red, so I went back to the store and I found 100% indigo. The box says to do a henna/indigo 2 step but I don't want to. So I mixed Indigo with ACV, hot water and olive oil. I will let it sit for 3 hours then apply. I will marinate in that for 2 hrs with heat. The kicker is I also want to BKT today! Can I do that safely? I typically use Softliss BKT, but I also have the Organix wash out BKT, and Global. Suggestions?

You found 100% indigo at the Indian store- I've been looking for this - would you mind telling me the name on the box or showing me a picture of the box? Everytime I ask they never know what I am talking about.

sgold04

My first henna treatment was a success! I have about 4 boxes of Jamila henna that my friend gave me. So I mixed 100 mg with 1 cup of hot water, lemon juice, EVCO and cheap conditioner. I let that sit for 24 hours. I partially blow dried my hair using the tension method (low heat for about 5-7 seconds in larger sections) to get rid of tangles and make application easier. I put a little bit of no-cone conditioner and grapeseed oil before blow drying. I left the henna on my hair for 3 hours and it rinsed out easily. It was my first application, but I could see the color already! I also had less shrinkage, but my hair is still frizzy. I DC'd with Shea moisture deep treatment masque, banana and avocado

Questions: how long do you leave the henna on your hair if you have already let the dye release overnight in the mixture? I'd like waaay more color, but I'm not a fan of leaving things on my hair over night.

Are protein treatments still necessary if you use henna often? I'm thinking of using henna every 2-4 weeks and I know my hair needs protein.

Last edited:

sgold04

I forgot to mention, I DCd for about an hour with Shea moisture deep treatment masque, Banaba and avocado.

Pennefeather

I think that I would like to try a henna gloss treatment to cover my grays. Even after reading through a lot of this thread, I still have a lot of questions.

I am planning to relax in two-three weeks. Should I wait until after relaxing?

I still don't quite understand why a two step process is needed to use a darker color like indigo. Why can't they be combined?

Lusch products has a "one step" henna product that does combine different ingredients like alma. Their dark brown shade looks very interesting. http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Brun/00675,en_US,pd.html#start=3

Finally, when doing a gloss, does the henna still need to release over night?

I appreciate any help to better understand henna gloss.

GoldenRule

I think that I would like to try a henna gloss treatment to cover my grays. Even after reading through a lot of this thread, I still have a lot of questions. I am planning to relax in two-three weeks. Should I wait until after relaxing? I still don't quite understand why a two step process is needed to use a darker color like indigo. Why can't they be combined? Lusch products has a "one step" henna product that does combine different ingredients like alma. Their dark brown shade looks very interesting. http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Brun/00675,en_US,pd.html#start=3 Finally, when doing a gloss, does the henna still need to release over night? I appreciate any help to better understand henna gloss.

The two-step process makes your hair closer to a 1B black. You certainly CAN combine the henna and indigo but that results in a brown color. You adjust the shade of the brown by playing with the henna:indigo ratio. Grays are stubborn. I don't know if a henna gloss will do much to them. I use the henna on mine straight up. Mostly my gray hair turns a shade of red and the red is dependent on the type of henna I used -- some reds are brighter or deeper than others. As for the relaxer, I haven't used one in some years but relaxing a few weeks after a henna never caused any problems.

Joigirl

I agree with GoldenRule. I don't think that the gloss will do much for your grey hair. When I only used henna, my gray was bright orange (see pic below). The indigo helped to tone down the color and now most of my hair is a deep mahogany brown in the sun but nearly black in artificial light. The grey hairs are stubborn and are a reddish brown color that I like. I only henna/ indigo about 4-5 times a year when my gray hair is visible. I usually henna only the roots but indigo my entire head because I don't want to loosen my curl pattern. Once a year I henna my whole head just to deepen the color and get the indigo to "stick" better. Henna is permanent, but my understanding is that indigo fades over time.

Attachments

• image-2599097671.jpg
    image-2599097671.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3936116179.jpg
    image-3936116179.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Pennefeather

Joigirl,
Thank you for including the pictures. I don't want my gray hairs to be orange. I think that I will probably continue my research. I am leaning towards the Lush henna because of the relative ease of use. I'm not crazy about spending hours w henna, but I do think that would be safer for my hair than a chemical dye

Pennefeather

The two-step process makes your hair closer to a 1B black. You certainly CAN combine the henna and indigo but that results in a brown color. You adjust the shade of the brown by playing with the henna:indigo ratio. Grays are stubborn. I don't know if a henna gloss will do much to them. I use the henna on mine straight up. Mostly my gray hair turns a shade of red and the red is dependent on the type of henna I used -- some reds are brighter or deeper than others. As for the relaxer, I haven't used one in some years but relaxing a few weeks after a henna never caused any problems.

GoldenRule,

Thank you for your insight.

Straighthoodtea

Hello,

Not sure if this has been covered before. But I'm looking to lift the color of my hair before doing a henna treatment so I can get the color results.

I saw this video online. Do you think this will be just as damaging as bleach?

What if I lifted my hair without using the peroxide??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HWLlr_ZKw

Here's another option I can use. I understand that it's lifting the hair color, but is it considered as harsh as bleaching the hair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6nACZ_9PgM

Last edited:

Duchess007

Froze some henna when I made my last batch; I'm interested to see how it behaves once it's thawed. I'm doing a gloss this coming weekend, so I'll report back. :)

Rozlewis

Doing a Henna treatment today using BAQ Henna for African Hair. This will be my first full Henna treatment because I usually do a Henna gloss. This time I used Henna mixed with lemon juice and warm water. I let the Henna sit overnight and then I applied for 4 hours the next day. Afterwards I will DC with a moisturizing conditioner under steam. Let's see how this turns out.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Doing a Henna treatment today using BAQ Henna for African Hair. This will be my first full Henna treatment because I usually do a Henna gloss. This time I used Henna mixed with lemon juice and warm water. I let the Henna sit overnight and then I applied for 4 hours the next day. Afterwards I will DC with a moisturizing conditioner under steam. Let's see how this turns out.

That lemon juice might dry you out. A long moisture only dc will be essential.

Give us an update when finished with your results.

HanaKuroi

Rozlewis said:

My mom used those directions too. She had dryyyy hair. She needed a couple more dc's sessions.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Rozlewis

That lemon juice might dry you out. A long moisture only dc will be essential.

Give us an update when finished with your results.

My mom used those directions too. She had dryyyy hair. She needed a couple more dc's sessions.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

DarkJoy
HanaKuroi

I finished my Henna treatment and I was concerned about dryness from the lemon juice but I am happy to report that my hair is not extreme dry. To try and combat the dryness in advance I did an oil rinse where I applied oil and then conditioner on top and left it on for a few minutes. I did this after my moisturizing DC treatment. As my hair was air drying it felt a little dry but I tied a silk scarf on and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I massaged some Annabelle's Hair and Scalp treat on my hair and it felt wonderful. My hair is no dryer than normal and feels extreme strong. I will be doing this treatment every month.

I will say I noticed it took longer to rinse the Henna from my hair. I used 3 bottles of V05 conditioner and took my time moving slowly and gently.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Kimmaytube's method for application is cool for people who only use henna for gray coverage. That would save so much time only applying to my random grays in the front. I wish I could do the hole in the processing cap thing. Henna has tremendously increased my retention, so I wouldn't stop applying it all over, it seriously reinforces my fine to medium hair strands.

Here's her videos on henna and indigo, along with processing cap application method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVXnkUq4Ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEf2lg3LtEE

kennylee2013

Hi all: I am thinking of using henna for the first time. I don't know if this was answered before but would i still be able to continue protein treatments if henna is considered a protein ( i use aphogee 2 step). And do i have to use lemon juice to release the dye or will water do. i am thinking of doing two parts henna to one part indigo to get a brown color, Thanks in advance

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hi all: I am thinking of using henna for the first time. I don't know if this was answered before but would i still be able to continue protein treatments if henna is considered a protein ( i use aphogee 2 step). And do i have to use lemon juice to release the dye or will water do. i am thinking of doing two parts henna to one part indigo to get a brown color, Thanks in advance

Yes. Protein and henna are fine. I do a light to medium after every henna. Your hair will tell you when you've had enough. I find now that reconstructors are.enougn

No lemon juice!!! Bottled water is enough.

I do a separate indigo step so can't give advice on a hendigo.

HanaKuroi

DarkJoy said:
Yes. Protein and henna are fine. I do a light to medium after every henna. Your hair will tell you when you've had enough. I find now that reconstructors are.enougn

No lemon juice!!! Bottled water is enough.

I do a separate indigo step so can't give advice on a hendigo.

I do the same. :)

HanaKuroi

Thanks ladies!!

We always use a moisturizing DC after though! You cannot skip on a moisturizing deep conditioner after henna or protein. No matter what your hair feels like. And you must use a real moisturizing deep conditioner that doesn't contain protein. Do not try to leave regular conditioner in for a long time either. :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF