cassia obovata support thread AKA neutral henna

Smiley79

I used Cassia on Saturday and my hair felt like butter afterwards and felt thicker...since the effects of Cassia wear off so quickly, I'm gonna start using it weekly until I get the courage to step over into Henna world.

Blairx0

I don't know how people do heena. I got cassia all over the place. Thankful it cleans up well.

My hair felt so hard when I put it on like the paste dried on contact. I left it on for about an hour and used light heat. It rinsed put well and that hard feeling went away. I did a moisture dc afterward, but it dint feel like I needed it. I bought 100g and feel like I have enough for 2 more rounds. I plan to do it monthly for 3 consecutive months and then decide if I will re order.

I want stronger strands and hoping I see them soon!

LovLeeLaDee

Last year when I applied my first henna, I made a mess all over my bathroom floor and sink and myself lol But now I'm more careful cuz this stuff is expensive and I have to order it online, it's not available in stores near me, so I need to use it without waste.
My opinion, based on my personal experience, is cassia lasts about a week, two if I use it after henna, then I won't wash for those weeks and wear my hair out. I also like changing up my hair's tint, henna is great also!

Blairx0

Has anyone mixed cassia with their regular DC? I want to try cassia and yogurt combo, but don't know if that is a good move. TIA

Blairx0

Has anyone mixed cassia with their regular DC? I want to try cassia and yogurt combo, but don't know if that is a good move. TIA

Though I would bump this thread and answer my own question in case anyone out there is considering adding cassia to their routine.

I have been using cassia, yogurt and oil weekly for the last few months( since 11/8/12 when I made that post actually) and my hair has had a great response to it. I am not protein sensitive, but I did get hard hair after " hard" protein treatments. Regular use of cassia is now the only protein I need to use. I feel it has made my hair stronger because i get less breakage. Mixed with the yogurt shed hair just slides out and it adds a noticeable softness to my hair.

I will also say I believe regularly use of cassia has helped with my low porosity issues. My hair still takes forever to dry, but cassia+roller setting means my hair accepts and holds moisture for days at a time now.

So for anyway thinking about it I think it is definitely worth looking further into!

MissCrawford

Since it will be my first time trying Cassia, what would be the best way to try it? Should I add it to my deep conditioner? I use a weekly reconstructor (Nexxus Emergencee) so would I no longer need this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jobwright

I just tried cassia for the first time. I mixed with oolong, black, oolong, rooibos and peppermint tea and a little bit of Kapur. Added some ORS condish and a little wheat germ after it sat for about 30 minutes. Baggied for about 3 hrs. Rinsed and felt stronger, thicker hair...IN THE SHOWER. Cowashed to make sure it was all out with Tresemme Naturals. Cowashed again because I felt I needed a little more "softness" and slip. Air dried to about 75% dry (my hair dried much quicker). Then went about my regular routine of the LOC method with Aphogee green tea spray, vatika oil and about a quarter size of Tresemme naturals. Air drying now. My hair feels "stronger" but not as soft as I am accustomed to. We will see over the next few days how this works out. I think I may need to cowash daily and leave the aphogee out of the mix until I gain some softness back. Is this normal? Did I do it right?

mshoneyfly

I just tried cassia for the first time. I mixed with oolong, black, oolong, rooibos and peppermint tea and a little bit of Kapur. Added some ORS condish and a little wheat germ after it sat for about 30 minutes. Baggied for about 3 hrs. Rinsed and felt stronger, thicker hair...IN THE SHOWER. Cowashed to make sure it was all out with Tresemme Naturals. Cowashed again because I felt I needed a little more "softness" and slip. Air dried to about 75% dry (my hair dried much quicker). Then went about my regular routine of the LOC method with Aphogee green tea spray, vatika oil and about a quarter size of Tresemme naturals. Air drying now. My hair feels "stronger" but not as soft as I am accustomed to. We will see over the next few days how this works out. I think I may need to cowash daily and leave the aphogee out of the mix until I gain some softness back. Is this normal? Did I do it right?

Wow!! Didnt even know this thread existed!!
Jobwright I have only used cassia mixed into my conditioner, along with some other stuff. Here are the ingredients I used:

image-2340338032.jpg

I like the results but I like henna results better. I think I have the Nupur brand. Is this the 9 herb one in the green bag?? I ask bc that one already has henna in it so maybe your hair wasn't soft enough because you are using two powders that do essentially the same thing. Cassia is often called neutral henna; meaning you get the same strength benefits without the color of henna.

So you had the proteins from aphogee and the tea plus the strength of henna plus the strength of cassia. That may have been too much in one wash session.

BTW, I also have sukesh and it has some cassia as well. I have mixed into my dc a few times with nice results.

Jobwright

mshoneyfly I used AyurNaturals brand cassia and Kapur. Its straight cassia for strengthening and pure Kapur for thickening. My hair feels better today but super thick. I will m/s today with scurl, jojoba and Tressemme Naturals and see how today goes. I don't think I need to cowash this morning. But may do a dry DC tonight with a super moisturizing (no protein) condish just to make sure. Feeling better! The test will be when I bun for the day to ensure there is no unnecessary breakage...more to come.

mshoneyfly

Ooohhh! Jobwright that site has pretty good prices! Hows the shipping? I see that the Kupur is powdered ginger lilly. Hhhmm...interesting. I think I wanna try this. Thanks for the site.

Jobwright

mshoneyfly forgot to answer your question...my apologies. I ordered from Ayur Naturals on maybe a Tuesday and received my shipment on Saturday. GREAT TURNAROUND TIME!

misspriss

Planning on doing a cassia treatment soon. Could any of you ladies help with my questions below:

- For the ladies who use it to tint their grays, how long does the color effect last?
- Can I still get professional color (highlights) while using cassia, or is it similar to henna where it doesn't play nice with commercial hair dye? I'm thinking if it's similar to cellophane effect, it'll work great after highlights.

Thanks!

Blairx0

Planning on doing a cassia treatment soon. Could any of you ladies help with my questions below:

- For the ladies who use it to tint their grays, how long does the color effect last?
- Can I still get professional color (highlights) while using cassia, or is it similar to henna where it doesn't play nice with commercial hair dye? I'm thinking if it's similar to cellophane effect, it'll work great after highlights.

Thanks!

Far as I know there is no color effect

girlcherokee

Thanks!

i know this answer is coming late -but there is very little color effect with cassia - so it will only give a slight ting to gray hair. not sure how it will eeffect highlights because it does have some color.

Smiley79

I mixed some Amla with my Cassia and I got a rich shiny black color...that's not as jet as Indigo...a softer yet rich color black.

CityGirlLuv

I mixed some Amla with my Cassia and I got a rich shiny black color...that's not as jet as Indigo...a softer yet rich color black.

I used to do this! I need to get back into doing it because my hair THRIVED from this alone. I stopped out of laziness but I'm definitely experiencing the consequences of my actions from stopping lol.

Blairx0

Henna seems like a lot to me. What I love about cassia is I can throw in a little bit on any dc and get great results.

Maybe one day I will be in the big girl henna leagues

mschristine

Applied the cassia on dry hair as soon as I got home and now I'm gonna take a nap and shampoo it out with my Shea moisture retention shampoo and DC for a few hours with bee mine bee.u. Tiful deep conditioner.

Smiley79

^^ Great to hear. Cassia and Henna are the only things I've used that give me instant results. Love it!

naturalfinally

I did an overnight henna treatment with henna, amla, brahmi and maka. I have to do it at least once a month to keep my fine stands strong. If I go longer then a month, I have mad breakage.

Blairx0

Have cassia, coconut milk, yogurt, honey and some oils under plastic on my hair now. Plan to leave it in for an hour or so.