Relaxed Heads - Do You Use Honey For Hair Health?

bydebra

I tried using honey as a deep conditioner in the past, but it's too sticky. I actually feel like the stickiness could lead to breakage for me. It goes on better on soaking wet hair than it does on damp hair, but it's just too messy.

I like some products with honey in them for my skin, though.

sunnieb

I'm in love with doing honey treatments! :heart2:

I was outside today and noticed my hair has started to get a subtle brown/golden tint! It's working! :yay:

I'm sitting with honey in my hair now and will probably rinse in another 30 min or so. :yep:

sunnieb

I was just downloading some pics from this weekend and one pic stood out because of the color contrast going on with my hair. We were inside when this was taken, but we'd been outside all day.

Don't know why the back of my hair is browning nicely, but the front looks the same! :ohwell:

I'm doing a honey treatment now and I tried to concentrate the honey on the front of my hair to even out the coloring. I love it though and Imma keep honeying! :yep:

Attachments

• Honey2.jpg
    Honey2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 156

Babygrowth

I was just downloading some pics from this weekend and one pic stood out because of the color contrast going on with my hair. We were inside when this was taken, but we'd been outside all day.

Don't know why the back of my hair is browning nicely, but the front looks the same! :ohwell:

I'm doing a honey treatment now and I tried to concentrate the honey on the front of my hair to even out the coloring. I love it though and Imma keep honeying! :yep:

Nice! What style was that sunnieb? I'm going to try another honey treatment tomorrow.

sunnieb

Ooook, lesson learned tonight - Do NOT shampoo BEFORE doing honey treatments. My hair didn't like this at all. :nono: It feels soft, but it tangled like crazy. I'm dc'ing now with Nexxus Humectress, so all is well. From now on, I will only do the honey on unwashed hair.

@Babygrowth - I just put two braids in overnight and combed out that morning. Although, the pic was taken after I'd been out all day......soooo :look:

But, the honey is keeping my hair shiny longer. I don't use oil as much as used to for shine.

heirloom

sunniebthat colour is amazing. I've stopped doing the treatments but I will start again this week. I'm thinking I'm going to concentrate the honey on my ends so I can get an ombré effect

sunnieb

@sunniebthat colour is amazing. I've stopped doing the treatments but I will start again this week. I'm thinking I'm going to concentrate the honey on my ends so I can get an ombré effect

heirloom - I can see this technique working well to get you that effect. I accidentally have some ombré going on! :grin:

I think I rubbed the honey in more in the back of my head out of habit. The color is so light and deceivingly brown all over my head. Sometimes my hair looks all black, other times it looks half/black - half/brown. I love it!

janeemat

@janeemat I'm 2 weeks post.

Looking forward to all my hair lightening to the same color. :yep:

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Oh I missed your reveal....let me run to that thread. So the honey is making your hair appear to have color in it? I tried honey once on wet hair and that was the sticky's mess.

sunnieb

janeemat yes, the color in my hair is all because of honey. I've been wanting to color my hair for a while, but I don't want to use a commercial color treatment while relaxed.

Honey is a good, natural way to lighten my hair without chemicals and I use it anyway when I dc.

I won't lie, it IS a sticky mess to apply. But the benefits are too much for me to ignore. I just pour some in a bowl and get to it. I would advise anyone to do the following:

*Make sure your hair is drippy wet, not damp.
*Keep a towel wrapped around your shoulders. No matter how neat you try to be, you will splash some honey and your hair will be dripping.
*Keep a spray bottle filled with water handy so you can re-wet your hair and hands during the application.

I'm still perfecting my application technique though it's not as messy as the first time.

sunnieb

heirloom - I keep hearing about this Manuka honey on here! Dangit, now imma have to find it! :lol:

Good luck with "Operation Ombré" and be sure to post pics! Summertime is a good time for honey treatments because the sun seems to help my hair with the lightening affect. :yep:

Babygrowth

Ok. I did a honey treatment tonight and my hair upon rinsing was soft... the first time I did something wrong and this time was perfect. I can't wait to see how my hair is once its dry...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb, looks great. I've applied honey and it just didn't give me what I was looking for. I love mixing honey in cheapie conditioner as a pre-treatment. It's so much easier to apply that way although I'm unsure if you will get the hair lightening effect going on though.

sunnieb

divachyk - as long as you don't heat the honey, it will eventually lighten your hair and kind of give you some subtle highlights.

The look I want is a deep brown all over, so I'm applying it directly and letting it sit once a week. :yep:

sunnieb

divachyk your hair has remained dark even with using cold honey?

Do you use the raw, unrefined kind?

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

divachyk

sunnieb, I have brownish hair in areas from sun damage so if honey is lightening my hair, I'm unaware. I use any honey I get my hands on. I'm not selective. Been using Genuine Natural Pure Honey.

sunnieb

lamaria211 - do you heat the honey before mixing it in your dc's?

divachyk - how do you know your hair is sun damaged? How do you protect it from further damage? I've often wondered about sun damage because lawd knows we get plenty of sun here! :)

divachyk

My previous stylist told me the hair turning brownish / red was sun damage. There's a few threads around here about that topic. I located a few: 1, 2 and 3.

sunnieb

divachyk I think my hair was damgaed back in the day when I was getting monthly relaxers.

But before I started the honey treatments, it was healthy and black all over.

carletta

Ooooooo.......... I L.O.V.E HONEY IN MY DC ! I USE A WHOLE BOTTLE !!!!!! I EVEN ADD EVOO, AND COCONUT MILK TO ALL OF MY CONDITIONERS

Lissa0821

I have used honey faithfully this year. I have a little situation going on, I am 21 weeks post relaxer so my roots are a pretty shade of brown. My ends are still pitch black from years of using black dye and my grays are looking kinda blondish.

I am slowly but surely cutting off the black ends, not sure what to do about the gray hair. I have no intention to give up using honey either.

lamaria211

lamaria211 - do you heat the honey before mixing it in your dc's?

divachyk - how do you know your hair is sun damaged? How do you protect it from further damage? I've often wondered about sun damage because lawd knows we get plenty of sun here! :)

I don't heat the honey,but I do use heat (heating cap) while it's in my hair.

sunnieb

The ends of my hair are continuing to get lighter and the roots are still black as night.

I'm going to do another honey treatment tomorrow and really concentrate on how I'm applying the honey.