Puffy Twists? What Kind of Hair?

Baggettcindy

I love those pics!!!! I am going to try and do that to my hair!!! I keep my twists thinner than the ones in the pic, but I think I am going to thicken them up especially after my hair grows more.

naturalmanenyc

isawstars

I called but have not yet been able to speak with anyone at this salon about an appointment. I like the style but need to see if they can be done a bit smaller.

danniegirl

@danniegirl SUPER cute! Where did you buy the hair from?

its regular marley braid i got it from my local BSS the only thing it took a lot of hair the packs hair cost either 5.99 or 6.99 a pack they have chepier hair but its just not that full or as kinky as the expensive brand.

here is the video that inspired me i wanted it short and fluffy looking like the first girl but the kinky hair just wouldnt do it, i think it was to heavy but i like the style i got and the secound time it ended up looking just like the op pic i just had to use more hair and make the braids longer and parts bigger. i wish i had pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbG4_J_G0Ho&feature=related

Phaer

Lucky you my regular twists takes 12 hours.
faithVA said:
I am not surprised by the price but I am surprised it would take her 4 hours. 4 hrs @ $160 is the standard price where I live. I would think this style would only take 2 hours, 2.5 max because of the size.

My regular kinky twists install takes 4 hours and they are $180.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
@naturalmanenyc are you going to get yours done at afrogenix? if there was one in my area I would.

Does anyone know if Marley hair is light weight?

It can get a little heavy after about 5 packs. The afro kinky (or puffy screw)hair is definitely lighter...I think becuase it isn't as dense.

Afro Kinky:

Marley braid:

naturalmanenyc

Okay, this style may not work for me. DH does not like it, not this size at least. To get the puffy twist small enough to fit my face (and so as not to damage my fine strands) would mean the the $88 special ($188 with the hair & smaller twists) would not apply.

I just cannot justify paying $300 for a braided hairstyle - not even one that I will only keep in for 8 - 9 weeks. My last braided style (crochet curly twists) was $150 and stayed in for about 9 weeks.

I may go in for a consultation just to see how the larger twists look with my face. I really do think it's a cute style.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=288970 said:
Phaer[/USER];15151859]Lucky you my regular twists takes 12 hours.

Were you doing them yourself? Or is your hair just really long?

I can do my own in about 7 hours. But those are the medium size twists.

I can probably do the ones the OP is looking at in 4 hours. But doing them myself they won't look as neat. At that size they really have to be done well.

pookaloo83

Ive got yarn braids in right now. I'll.hive my hair a break then try these twists. I'm a little confident now seeing I fir my own yarn braids.

I have a small face. So I don't want a full head. I would look like a lion..I would probably to my parts big.

isawstars

naturalmanenyc I changed my mind about the twists too.

I cancelled my appointment. Although the braider said she'd do them smaller, it still felt heavy and I am terrified of the weight of the twists causing breakage or stress to my hair follicles.

I hope someone here ends up doing these Havana twists! I want to see pictures if so!

naturalmanenyc

isawstars

I went to the salon and the stylist was wearing a smaller version of these "Havana Twists" installed. Her style had well more than 28 twists and they were a bit smaller than those in the photo.

I put 25 twists in my own hair just to see what it would look like (she suggested only 24 Havana twists for my head) and I realized that this is not a style that will work for me, not the large size at least. I do like the puffy twists, but just not with the rough feeling toyokalon hair. I may still get puffy twists done though, smaller and with different hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svkTmZ8TcBk
How to tell the difference between 100% Kanekalon and 100% Synthetic braid fibers (Toyokalon)

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I came across this picture a week ago or so when I was looking at google images for two strand twist pictures. I thought it was her real hair in that picture. I was thinking about how I can't wait for my hair to get that long and thick to do twists like that. :yep:

Phaer

My hair is not long at all, it is thick. When I do them myself it takes 12 hrs. I went to the braid shop yesterday at 11 am and didn't finish until 7:30 pm. I had two braiders working on my head. I am longing for long hair, but I really don't know if I can handle it.

Were you doing them yourself? Or is your hair just really long?

I can do my own in about 7 hours. But those are the medium size twists.

I can probably do the ones the OP is looking at in 4 hours. But doing them myself they won't look as neat. At that size they really have to be done well.

naturalmanenyc

I got my install today, Kinky Twists instead of Havana Twists, and it took 5 hours. I filmed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXcsarYuoo

I have 103 twists while the Havana Twists style would have been 24 - 28 twists at most (2 hour install).

I could never do a style that took 12 hours, shoot, even 5 hours felt like a lot to me.

dancinstallion

oooh I love those twists. My twists were puffy like this but not as big. I will do these myself and posts pics. Thanks OP!.

isawstars

I got my install today, Kinky Twists instead of Havana Twists, and it took 5 hours. I filmed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYXcsarYuoo

I have 103 twists while the Havana Twists style would have been 24 - 28 twists at most (2 hour install).

I could never do a style that took 12 hours, shoot, even 5 hours felt like a lot to me.

naturalmanenyc

They look great! How do they feel so far? Heavy at all? Itchy? I think I'm just going to get senegalese twists but request for them to be larger.

This will be my first time getting braids/twists with natural hair. How did you prep your hair? In the beginning of the video you said you stretched your hair... what method did you use? Banding? or the tension-blow drying method?

Thanks for sharing! :)

naturalmanenyc

isawstars

Thanks! I really like how they came out. I was worried for a little while though. It was looking kind of jacked up at first as you can see in the video.

No, the kinky twists are not heavy at all and they are not itchy. I rinsed the extension hair in vinegar and water to remove the alkaline coating and then let the hair dry overnight. Of course, for the last section (12 twists) when we ran out of hair, I did not get to vinegar rinse that section. It's not itchy though. I've heard that the alkaline base causes the hair to itch when installed. I have not found that to be true, not yet at least.

I think they may feel heavy when I wash them since the weight of the water will make them heavy. But that's temporary. The same thing happened with my crochet braids (two strand twisted style). It was really heavy while wet, but fine when dry. I will bump that post. I thought I was gonna be found dead in the shower from wearing too much weave.:perplexed I had no idea it would be so heavy while wet. DH has mentioned how heavy his hair gets when wet (waist length locks) but I never paid much attention until I experienced it.

To prep my hair, I washed and deep conditioned (normal routine) and then put it in two plaits (think pigtails). I wore it in a bun for work but then at night put the two pigtails back in to keep my hair stretched. You can go with blown out hair. Some people arrived with straight hair to get their braids. The first braider tried to blow out my hair (root to tip) but I snapped at her so fast that she backed off of that idea and just braided my hair curly.

Whimsy

I recently saw these somewhere online too. They're GORGEOUS. Thanks for giving us all the info on it!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Blackonyx on YouTube did a video on how to do these exact twists and had the info on what site to buy the hair on. It was a very informative video and the twists were gorgeous.

I'd like to try them but I'm still kinda nervous and plus I could not find anywhere on that site that said how long the hair was. I need it to be long cuz my hair is long.

Oh and they are called havanna twist extensions. I would provide links but I'm on my phone. The site to get the hair is fingercomber.bigcartel.com.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

finickyone

So glad I clicked on this thread. I made a post last night asking about the havanna twist. I want to do them on my 11 yr old daughter. I watched blackonyx video & it seems to be really simple.

Nayna

Unbothered
I just ordered this hair. Hopefully it comes ASAP. My friend did it with both the fingercomber hair and the marley hair. I liked the way it looked with the fingercomber hair. It also lasted longer too. She used the fingercomber hair twice over the course of maybe 2.5 months and the marley hair lasted roughly 3 or 4 weeks.

jamaica68

I just ordered this hair. Hopefully it comes ASAP. My friend did it with both the fingercomber hair and the marley hair. I liked the way it looked with the fingercomber hair. It also lasted longer too. She used the fingercomber hair twice over the course of maybe 2.5 months and the marley hair lasted roughly 3 or 4 weeks.

I ended up ordering from Fingercomber I think it came in 4 days, the Marley hair I found was too rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using LHCF