Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Thanked 6,481 Times in 1,362 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 26 Thread(s)
Default Curly hair, puffy roots. Whaaat?

Basically my roots are puffy and my ends are curly/wavy. So the body of my hair looks great but at my roots the texture is more coarse. I don't think it's heat damage, because its a pretty large portion of my roots. I also notice that my roots are lighter than the body of my hair, and when I color my hair the roots color but the rest of my hair does not. Did it die? What happened? My wash and goes look kinda cute but the front of my hair puts a damper on it. Also, i have a super cute curly bun and then the front of my head is a puffball. Not a good look. No amount of gel willsolve this. A bit of mousse will but I'm weaning off the stuff. And I' curious as the why this is happening. TIA

IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuhlovevybz For This Useful Post:
Kiki0130 (07-08-2012), Marino (07-08-2012)
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanked 11,019 Times in 3,652 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure most agree we have different textures through out of hair
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilmama1011 For This Useful Post:
GeorginaSparks (07-08-2012)
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanked 6,481 Times in 1,362 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 26 Thread(s)
Default Re: Curly hair, puffy roots. Whaaat?

I know this; the top of my hair forms waves while the back forms spirals. But I mean in the exact same lock of hair, the bottom will be frizzy and the end will form a perfect curly. Do different textures work like that as w ell?
The Following User Says Thank You to yuhlovevybz For This Useful Post:
MrsJaiDiva (07-09-2012)
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanked 51,470 Times in 5,029 Posts
Mentioned: 586 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)

I have just accepted frizz and pooffiness as part of the nature of kinky cottony hair. Even when I shingle with gel, I get a perfect coil on the end and poof at the root. I'm *assuming* the ends coil because they have nothing weighting them down, while your roots have you ends pulling and disturbing the curl pattern, resulting in frizz.

When I wear ponies or puffs and I want a sleek wavy look, I gel down the front and tie it tightly with a scarf for 10-15 minutes. That always does the trick. For wash and go etc., I have no advice.

Your roots are dying faster because your body heat is causing the color to process faster at the roots. Apply color at the ends, allow it to process a bit first, and then apply to the roots. Also, were your ends previously dyed a darker color and your roots not.

R e l a x e d | APL | Medium
Last Relaxer: 12/15/13 Last Trim/Dust: 10/21/13
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theresamonet For This Useful Post:
Foxglove (07-09-2012), GeorginaSparks (07-08-2012), yuhlovevybz (07-08-2012)
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

My hair does this as well. In some areas, the further a lock of hair grows from my scalp, the more uniform the curl pattern becomes. I don't use direct heat or harsh chemicals on my hair nor am I heavy on styling, so I now the hair isn't damaged.
As for why, I can only think that maybe as the hair strands mature, they begin to clump/curl together. What causes it, I have no clue.
I don't know about the lighter roots issue that you described.
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:49 AM

Thanked 3,691 Times in 1,373 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)

I was actually wondering this earlier. lol I just thought what in the world???? Why does it look like I have new growth and I'm natural???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iluvsmuhgrass For This Useful Post:
danigurl18 (07-09-2012), MrsJaiDiva (07-08-2012), ravenhairedcharm (08-03-2012)
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Lol, I know all too well what you mean. It's not damage (or at least for me it isn't). There's typically lots of newer shorter hairs at the scalp/roots. They don't conform as easy as your longer hairs because there isn't much tension to hold them down or clump them together, so they're just free as can be. I notice that when my hair is moistened, they'll conform, but as the hair dries, the individual strands just form their own curls without clumping with other hairs.

It's just easier to see from the front but the shorter/new hairs are all over, unless there are patches of the scalp that are no longer producing hair.

Last edited by LunaGorgeous; 07-08-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Thanked 9,906 Times in 1,830 Posts
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)

I have this too. My roots are 3A/B and after about 4-5 inches my curls loosen up significantly to somewhere around 2b. It sucks, but you just have to deal. I always "set" my hair with flat twists. This tends to give me uniform curls through the length of my strands.

Last edited by curlicarib; 07-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to curlicarib For This Useful Post:
MrsJaiDiva (07-08-2012)
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

I Love your hair !!

"Heureuse celle qui a cru à l’accomplissement des paroles qui lui furent dites de la part du Seigneur ". Evangile selon saint Luc
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Embracing the Light

Thanked 29,670 Times in 5,181 Posts
Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 98 Thread(s)

I have this problem too. 3a/b/c hair, and it was driving me nuts. The rest of my head curls nicely, but the front and temple area are frizz, and poof city. I just did a mild Texturizer in the front, and that took care of much of the problem, but I still have poofy roots in the front. I wear headbands, so you can't really tell I'm having a poofy root situation. I don't think it's damage either. For me, my hair was just resistant to clumping...the individual hairs just want to curl or Not curl by themselves, forming a big frizzy poof. I use curl creams to keep my curls clumped for WnG's.
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

THIS!!!!!
I figured it was probably damage on my end from all the heat I used to use and poor products I used to buy. I look at some of the YouTubers and all their hair seems to be so uniformed and have no frizz when they do WnGs I just KNEW there was something wrong with my hair. Since not using heat and making better products and care choices I was still having the issue, good to know I'm not the only girl in the world as I once thought I did.
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Happy w/ my hair!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

My hair does this. I attribute it to heat, product and manipulation. Since the roots get the least of it(heat product manipulation) it shows it's true texture when natural while my length can be manipulated to be whatever I want it to be.
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanked 25,370 Times in 7,655 Posts
Mentioned: 4670 Post(s)
Tagged: 151 Thread(s)

Are you all newly natural? I ask coz this isn't a mystery or even news to me. We're talking about hair that is made of kinks: very tiny coils. These coils happen to grow next to each other and are so close together that they sorta are fighting for space, not to mention that unless you're into having knots, we manipulate the hair to keep it stretched thus opening up the coils. For people with larger coils, the coils cup each other and form defined clumped coils easily. For those of us with kinky aka VERY TINY COILS, the cupping doesn't happen easily and so we may only see it at the ends. It's the reason that for people with tiny coils to get the definition they have to shingle: ie stretch out the coils a few at a time from base to ends and keep smoothing them out so in the process you open up the coils and allow them to line up with each other in a way that they can cup each other as they contract. (Demo of shingling)

Look at every person with tiny coils who does a WNG, you'll see clumping at the ends and none at the base. It's the nature of our hair. This is what it does:

When hair is short, you can see it form nice circular coils of definition:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...&postcount=261

But as the hair grows longer, and we manipulate it opening up the coils and as they fight for space, a blending occurs at the base so that the only place where the coils are visible is at the ends:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...&postcount=281

If I finger comb my hair with conditioner in it, the ends may form coils but the base just looks like a cloud:

If I were to separate the strands, you'd see the coils are all the way to the base, but they don't clump when en masse coz they are too small to spoon each other when all are bunched up together:

If you want to see coils, you need to shingle, and work on narrow sections at a time. It's a lot of work. I think the reason your hair looks like it has a "problem" is coz instead of getting to know your hair, you're looking at someone else's hair and trying to get yours to do the same.

I think if you guys view your hair as unique, you can find cool things it can do that other hair you are trying to emulate can't. One of the people who really enjoys her hair and takes chances with it even risking tangles that WNGs can cause (something chicken ol' me would not dare) is @Foxglove:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...8&postcount=36

Last edited by Nonie; 07-09-2012 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nonie For This Useful Post:
Foxglove (07-09-2012), yuhlovevybz (01-21-2013)