2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

Nyssa28

*2012 Ayurvedic Challenge*

'Ayur' means 'Life', and 'Veda' means 'Knowledge'. Ayurveda is the oldest and most comprehensive healing procedure of the planet. Mother to most of world’s healing traditions, the theory and practice of Ayurveda symbolizes the natural health healing. Now as the world moves toward a single system of holistic planetary medicine it finds itself returning to the source and re-entering the vast ancient realm of Ayurveda.

Importance of Ayurveda Why the world is interestingly looking into Ayurveda in this modern age?

The important reasons are :
1. It is from Natural Sources
2. All Medicines are 100% herbal.
3. It permanently cures the disease from its root.
4. It provides no side effects. Rules:

Challenge Rules

1. Post your Ayurvedic game plan - Are you going to use ONLY oils, ONLY powder or a combo of both? Which ones? How will you style your hair after? Roller set, braid-out, wig, pony, bun, etc…

2. Post what you desire your hair outcome to be at the end of this challenge

3. Post stats – current and goal length and state whether you’re natural or relaxed

4. Post pics of the products used (optional) as the challenge goes on

5. Take a before and after pic, then on reveal day (date unknown as of yet), post both pics for comparison

*Post progress pics and recipe results as you see fit

Here are some herbs/ingredients you should get familiar with: Bhringraj - Treats hair loss, premature graying, and also acts as a conditioner Neem - Is an antibacterial powerhouse, it helps correct scalp issues, as well as promote healthy hair growth Brahmi - Strengthens hair at the roots, helps relieve dandruff, also purported to thicken hair Amla - Stimulates hair growth, has wonderful conditioning properties, strengthens hair at the roots Shikakai - Acts as a natural cleanser, and mild conditioner, whilst promoting hair growth Aritha [Reetha] - Natural cleansing agent Methi [Fenugreek] - Prevents hair loss, promotes hair growth, helps strengthen hair shaft, light protein Hibiscus - Conditions hair, promotes healthy hair growth, prevents hair loss, thickens hair

Before:yep: you apply any of these Ayurvedic conditioners, it is recommended that you oil your hair thoroughly beforehand. I recommend Coconut Oil, as it is the easiest to obtain, inexpensive, and very effective.

Some of you may find difficulty completely rinsing out mixtures that call for powdered herbs. I have found that soaking your hair in a tub filled with water is the easiest method to remove excess residue.

Helpful Threads/Links

Ayurvedic Recipes http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=587259

Ayurvedic Experiences http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=172511

2010 Challenge w/ specialty recipes http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=499500

Hair Loss http://www.indianhairoil.com/hairloss.html

Hair Care Tips http://www.indianhairoil.com/haircare01.html

Online stores to purchase

http://www.theindianfoodstore.com/index.html

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_oil.htm

http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/hair-oils/

*I prefer to purchase my supplies at the Indian store in my area to ensure that the products aren’t expired. However, if you don’t have access to any, the links above have been recommended by members in the past. I’ve personally ordered from the first one.

I’m so excited to start this new journey! In preparation for this challenge, I’m going to start incorporating principles of Ayurvedic hair care into my regimen now.

Let’s grow!! :dance7:

Last edited:

growinghealthyhair

YES!!!!!! Finally!!! I'm too excited!!

1. Post your Ayurvedic game plan - My game plan will involve oils and pastes for sure! I want to also do teas weekly and I want to create a daily moisturizing spritz in rose water using some of the herbs. I have used Henna and Indigo before, but this will be my first time incorporating other ayurvedic herbs. The ones i'm using are:
  • Hibiscus Powder
  • Burdock Root Powder
  • Methi Powder
  • Neem Powder
  • Marshmallow Root
  • Amla Powder
  • Brahmi Powder
  • Shikaki Powder
  • Hesh Mahabringraj hair oil
  • Bhringaraj Oil
  • Vatika Oil

2. Post what you desire your hair outcome to be at the end of this challenge

I'm hoping to thicken my hair and to grow hair in areas that I'm having issues with (my nape/temples). I've seen a lot of great things regarding certain ayurvedic herbs and hairloss/ hair thickening, so i'm definitely ready to see what consistent use will do for me!!

3. Post stats – current and goal length and state whether you’re natural or relaxed
I'm currently natural and i'm neck length.

Last edited:

Nyssa28

Thanks growinghealthyhair - Sorry it's taken me so long to start the thread. For me to be on vacay, I've been super busy!

A few of the links above aren't working. I will fix them tomorrow.

Ltown

Greyland
I will like to join

I am trying to grow back to apl, i had major reaction to indigo and lost 4" of hair and thickness. 2009/2010 with Flowinlock ayurveda challenges i got alot of thickness and growth.

I will use powders as tea rinses and oils weekly

Amla, kapitone, brahmi, maka, hibsicus will be what i use.

Ronnieaj

I'm in! Holding my spot to post details later.

ETA: I have and use the following powders:
Amla
Shikakai
Aritha
Brahmi
Maka
Tulsi
Neem
Kalpi Tone
Hibiscus
Cassia
Fenugreek

I am currently doing a weekly tea rinse, with a combination of powders and coconut cream (I have coconut cream concentrate that I mix into the rinse). I oil my hair with either coconut or vatika oil overnight, then apply the rinse and let sit for 20-25 minutes, then follow with a cowash.

I have just recently started doing kalpi tone pastes on the weeks that I'm out of my twists. I do a super simple mix of the powder, coconut cream, oil and molasses, apply that to my head and let it sit for 2 hours or so.

I also make my own hair spritz, and I infuse the water with some of the herbs there as well, so that's a daily dose.

I also have the glorious Neelibhringadi oil. It's my precious :lol:, but I'm terrified of running out so I rarely use it.

2. Post what you desire your hair outcome to be at the end of this challenge--I don't know if I have a desired outcome :look:. I just want to be more consistent in using my powders and oils, since I see such a great benefit when I'm consistent.

3. Post stats – current and goal length and state whether you’re natural or relaxed : Natural, current length, APL. Goal length is dependent on length of challenge, but would love to be BSL by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Platinum

I'm in!:grin: I was inspired by LHCF member Vestaluv a few years ago. I tried Ayurveda for a while and got great results but I wasn't consistent.:sad: I love the fact that Ayurvedic powders and oils are inexpensive but very effective.

I plan to use:
Brahmi Powder
Kalpi Tone Powder
Maka Powder (having a hard time finding this but will stock up when I find it)
Neem Powder
Shikaki Powder
Coconut Oil
Vatika Oil
Mahabhringraj Oil
Amla Gold oil
Castor Oil

I plan to do Ayurvedic cowashes at least twice a week, oil scalp, and seal with Ayurvedic oils.

I'm hoping to get lots of growth and retention. Currently, I'm natural and uneven SL.

Stepiphanie

I am in!! I already incorporate a lot of Ayurvedic products in my regimen, but I really want that to be my only plan, as I tend to stray ever so often.

I will use a combination of oil and powders. My currrent stash contains:

Amla, Shikakai, Brahmi, Bhringaraj and Kapur Karchi powders and henna and cassia
Mahabhringaraj oil, homemade vatika oil, neem oil, cocasta oil, marshmallow roots and hibiscus flowers

I also plan to add fenugreek and hibiscus powders in the mix.

My plan is to either add the powders to my conditioner on wash day, or do a all powder conditioner mixing a couple of my faves. Scalp massage almost nightly, and my brown sugar, Shikakai scalp scrub with neem oil every other month or so.

Yay!! I'm excited. My hair has done good this past year but I'm looking for even better progress next year. I need to grow out my alopecia spot once and for all and thicken up some thinner areas. Oh and I plan to wear my hair mostly in twists or protective styles for the majority of 2012.

Last edited:

MzSwift

HHG, ladies!
I will be stalking this thread as well. Ayurveda is a big part of my regi.
Don't want to join too many challenges and forget to participate :(

sassy2011

1. Ayurvedic game plan - I plan to use a combo of powders and oils
(brahmi amla oil, shikakai powder, amla powder, neem powder)

2. My desired outcome is to thicken my edges as well as strengthen my hair.

3. Current length-- TWA (unsure of inches--will measure later)

Also I plan to wear wigs and twistouts.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

Finalllyyyyy i'm happy to be in :yawn::yawn: !!!

I use cassia, amla, brahmi, maka.
I want to specify that I use marshmallow, nettle, colsfoot, horsetail &burdock too, just want to specify this even if I know these are not indian herbs)

I want to add fenugreek(methi) and hibiscus, but i'm very afraid of hibiscus's colors properties :ohwell:

I plan to use them 2/3x a week as a tea rinses that I won't rinse.
and twice a month I will make a paste included cassia.
I also plan to use a homemade maka oil.

My plan, using paste twice a month for one year totally increase my hair density. I'm wondering if it's its maximum or it can be more :rolleyes:

Ronnieaj

Krystle~Hime, I've used hibiscus powder as part of my daily spritz, tea rinse, and acv rinse continuously for 18 months, and haven't had a HINT of a color change. The front of my hair has a spot that is naturally lighter than the back, but nothing has lightened it. The rest of my hair is pretty close to pitch black, and the hibiscus has made no difference. Not saying it can't, but for me it has been a non-issue. If you're concerned, I'd day mix it with amla, since that darkens the hair--they'll probably cancel each other out.

Krystle~Hime

Ronnieaj
Krystle~Hime, I've used hibiscus powder as part of my daily spritz, tea rinse, and acv rinse continuously for 18 months, and haven't had a HINT of a color change. The front of my hair has a spot that is naturally lighter than the back, but nothing has lightened it. The rest of my hair is pretty close to pitch black, and the hibiscus has made no difference. Not saying it can't, but for me it has been a non-issue. If you're concerned, I'd day mix it with amla, since that darkens the hair--they'll probably cancel each other out.

You convinced me :yep:

Stepiphanie i luv your hair !! i follow your blog for a long time, but i have a problem posting comments on blogspot(don't worry it's not only your blog, it's every blogspot)
since when do you use kapur kachri, do you think you can have a specify review on this even if you use it mixed with others powders ?
do your oils are homemade ?? :)

Stepiphanie

Aww, merci Krystle~Hime !! I appreciated it. I have used Kapur kachri in only 3 or 4 of my mixes, my hair always turned out moisturized and strong. I can't say it's just the kk, but I think it aids as part of the mix (usually brahmi and Amla). It also has a great fragrance, a bit flowery. I will be paying more attention to my results and posting more info on my blog during this challenge. I will keep you posted.

I've only ventured into oil making once, I made a vatika type oil with some coconut oil infused with Amla, Shikakai, hibiscus and horsetail. So far so good.

Last edited:

bestblackgirl

I want to join. I just bought amla and brahmi powders and shikakai oil. Im going to follow an ayuverdic regimen to see if my hair will improve and get to bsl by june

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I've officially locked in my reggie!
Shikakai cowash every 4 days
Overnight Dc with Mega Tek every 4 days
Condition with Aubrey Organics White Camelia or Aussie Moist
Leave-in Conditioner is Lasio Lasio
Daily moisturizer is a reconfigured Kimmaytubem with ceramide oils
Protective style is two strand twists, wrapped around pillow rollers

Because I shikakai cowash, I don't shampoo or moisture DC...it does both! My mixes are always complicated... My shikakai cowash contains a blend of black tea, shikakai, amla, neem, cassia, ylang ylang, fenugreek, patchouli, brahmi, and aritha. I also add a huge dollop of castor, and sesame oils. So far so great!!

Divafied3

Last Question...Before I place this order. Do any of you ladies know how much powder you get from
Ayurnatural Beauty? Some stuff have 150 oz and some don't say anything at all. I just wondering so I can guess about how much I should order. I was looking at her Bhringraj and Brahmi...

bestblackgirl

bestblackgirl how do you plan to use this herbs and shikakai oil ?

Im going to combine the brahmi and amla herbs into paste and use as DC. And the oil (i think i got the vatika instead of shikakai) im using as prepoo, and do the GHE method 2-3x a week. I got the vatika coconut oil so that penetrates the hair really well. I will be washing my hair with western shampoo about once a month. But will be conditioning with paste and regular conditioner once a week.

I'm full APL relaxed. My goal is to be full BSL by the end of August.

Nyssa28

1. Post your Ayurvedic game plan - I will be using oils, powders and other products from a local Indian store. The main oil that I want to experiment with is Bhringaraj.

2. Post what you desire your hair outcome to be at the end of this challenge - I want to add length, thicken areas that were damaged due to PPS, and have a healthy scalp.

3. Post stats – I am SL and relaxed