Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Unread 05-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Wrapping Hair is... BAD??

I've heard a couple of things about wrapping being bad for your hair but I just want everyone else's opinion. I wrap my hair to the left, AND the left side of my hair (the hair thats in the back of my head when I sleep) is thinner and shorter and weaker. And the right side of my hair is STRONG, healthy and beautiful... oh, and much longer!! Do you think this has an effect? If so, If I don't wrap my hair, what in the world do I do with it at night???

Thanks,

eBoNy
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Wrapping Hair is... BAD??

Okay, I just posted a picture below for you to see. This was my hair back in January. As you can see, the right side of my hair was significantly thinner. This is the result of 10+ years of wrapping. I was wrapping my hair, clockwise/to the right, since first pressing my hair senior year of high school. I never knew any other way to sleep with my hair, and I thought this was the best thing for it.

Wrapping, per say, is not a "bad" thing. However, if you are a nightly wrapper (like I was) then you need to alternate wrapping on both sides. One night, wrap to the left, the other night, wrap to the right. This way one side isnt getting overly stressed/thin.

In the last year (and since joining this board) i have stopped wrapping my hair. I am just no longer interested in wrapping it, because I dont like how straight/flat it makes my hair look. I find that it looks better in the morning when I sleep with a loose bun (and satin scarf or bonnet) or pin curl it. I think this is just because my hair has gotten longer, and I prefer that it have more body. And wrapping it, even after a nice roller set, takes away most of that volume/body.

Oh, and fyi, that right side has since regained most of its thickness/fullness, and i believe that is a result of overall health care (ie, moisturizing, healthy diet, protecting ends, avoiding direct heat) as well as mtg, which helped to thicken the hair shaft overall.

HTH.

Unread 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Sweetiwifey,

I feel like if I don't wrap it and put a loose bun it will be bent in some weird way or something and in the morning it would look a wreck. Can you PM me exact details on how you do this?? Because I actually am tired of flat hair as well. The thing is that I NEVER do my hair... so I just have no clue what things are except bobby pins and grease!! So I'm slowly learning. I would love some bounce and volume!! I just dont know how to achieve that look!

Thanks hun!!

ebony
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

i refer to myself as the mad wrapper

for years i wore my hair halle berry short...and when it would grow out, i'd begin to wrap it. it would be ok for awhile, but then - like you, i noticed thinning and breakage. especially in the back where the scarf wrapped around my head and tied.

it would be so severe, that i'd have to cut it and start all over again. now i dont blame my breakage solely on my wrapping, but it didnt help much either.
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyPerez
Sweetiwifey,

I feel like if I don't wrap it and put a loose bun it will be bent in some weird way or something and in the morning it would look a wreck. Can you PM me exact details on how you do this?? Because I actually am tired of flat hair as well. The thing is that I NEVER do my hair... so I just have no clue what things are except bobby pins and grease!! So I'm slowly learning. I would love some bounce and volume!! I just dont know how to achieve that look!

Thanks hun!!

ebony
Actually you are right.... when i bun it, the ends are usually not straight and instead I do get some weird/awkward bend. I havent figured out how to sleep properly yet, to achieve the fullness that i like, yet without having my ends flip outward. Im still experimenting with this.... I guess im just not used to having armpit length hair yet, because its kind of tricky.

However, since i wear buns most of the time (nearly every single day) I havent really spent too much time trying to perfect the way I protect my hair at night. I guess once I reach my ultimate goal (mid-back length) and I allow myself to wear my hair out more, I will have to figure out some way to finagle this.
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRain
i refer to myself as the mad wrapper

for years i wore my hair halle berry short...and when it would grow out, i'd begin to wrap it. it would be ok for awhile, but then - like you, i noticed thinning and breakage. especially in the back where the scarf wrapped around my head and tied.

it would be so severe, that i'd have to cut it and start all over again. now i dont blame my breakage solely on my wrapping, but it didnt help much either.
@ the mad wrapper. I hear that, girl.
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I just realized that the mohawk rollerset is the bomb. This young lady on the diaspora haircare website named foxybrown has a pic. After a rollerset I tried it and it's great. Some of the girls on here does it too. AT first I thought it was hard but it is simple.hth
1st goal: bsl str8end MADE IT!
2nd goal:full mbl ultimate
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Thanked 20,220 Times in 2,682 Posts
Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 59 Thread(s)

Its certainly has different effects on people.
I myself have never had any problems with wrapping.
My hair is very thick though.
I have been wrapping my hair to one side only for over 15 years straight every single night. Nothing bad ever happened to my hair as a result of that. I stopped wrapping only because I didn't want to have to comb my hair everyday.
People who has thinning hair or edges, I would not recommend wrapping.
I wouldn't recommend u wrap yours anymore.
I never do my hair either. I leave it out, put on a scarf with the back hanging out, put on a bonnet over the back and go to bed. I wake up and hair is just like it was and I just go.
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Thanked 10,490 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Well Slap Me and Call Me BoomSHika cuz that sure explains ALOT!!!

I have very thick hair as well, and although I do notice breakage around my edge area, my right side is kinda behind my left side and now I know why
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanked 4,020 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhandiB
HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Unread 05-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Like sylver, I've never had problems from wrapping and my hair is no where near as thick as hers. I can't help but think it's they way some people wrap - like using a fine tooth comb or tying down really tightly - that causes breakage. I wrap using my fingers and tie my scarf very loosely. This method also results in more body, and less pin straight hair.
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvSLave
Like sylver, I've never had problems from wrapping and my hair is no where near as thick as hers. I can't help but think it's they way some people wrap - like using a fine tooth comb or tying down really tightly - that causes breakage. I wrap using my fingers and tie my scarf very loosely. This method also results in more body, and less pin straight hair.
I feel that if you must wrap it this is the best way. You could also
1. make a loose bun and bobby pin it
2.Braid it in 4-6 large braids or twists (preferred method) Loose twists will actually lessen the chance of having a "braid-out" look
3. start with the ends and fold it over your hand and clip it (think a horizontal french bun)
and then put your scarf over it, or silk bonnet(preferred choice) Your head does not need all the pressure of having a scarf tied to your head overnight. HTH
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Si non confectus

Thanked 27,780 Times in 3,129 Posts
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)

Quote:
I have nothing to contribute other than
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I have very thick hair as well, and although I do notice breakage around my edge area, my right side is kinda behind my left side and now I know why

mmhmm girl
it was actually i believe sweetwifey's fotki that pointed this all out to me
i just dont know what to do
now that im typing on a different page i completely forgot who mentioned the mohawk curling thing??!?
how is that done? im sooo clueless
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:32 PM

Thanked 10,490 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Good Look, Loose Bun, Im bun challenged, can you explain that one.. sorry if I sound elementary right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri
I feel that if you must wrap it this is the best way. You could also
1. make a loose bun and bobby pin it
2.Braid it in 4-6 large braids or twists (preferred method) Loose twists will actually lessen the chance of having a "braid-out" look
3. start with the ends and fold it over your hand and clip it (think a horizontal french bun)
and then put your scarf over it, or silk bonnet(preferred choice) Your head does not need all the pressure of having a scarf tied to your head overnight. HTH
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

KHandiB has pics of what she calls a "crosswrap" in her fotki. Though I never got around to perfecting it, it looks like it wouldn't create so much tension to do. And it looks like you could achieve that smoothness you get with a wrap.
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Wrapping was my thing until recently...I have hypothyroidism and for those who have it you pretty much are stuck with thin hair. I also had a thinning hairline w/nape hair that was disappearing. My stylist of 14 years noticed the thinning and lack of body on the right side, so after 6 years of medium length hair I went back to my short graduated bob. I reworked my hair regimen to allow me only to wet wrap my hair after washing to get it straight,air dry, and then caruso roller set my hair wrapping it just for 2 hrs until my hair took shape. A night I tie a silk scarf around my head to keep the top and side flat and leave the back out. I make sure I sleep on a satin pillowcase. When I wake up I don't even have to spot curl it. Also since I don't have medium length hair anymore and don't keep pulling my hair back in a ponytail the hairline is now growing back.
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:38 PM

actually
i cant do a bun either
unless im doing a ponytail and just pull it thru
and thats not really a BUN bun
so how is it done
without all the million hairs sticking straight out?
or is that just me?

Quote:
Good Look, Loose Bun, Im bun challenged, can you explain that one.. sorry if I sound elementary right now
Unread 05-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Sweetest Taboo

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Welcome Ebony! I used to wrap every night too. Now I do the mowhawk rollerset instead. It is really, really easy to do and leaves your hair with lots of body and a cute little bend at the ends.

All you need is: 3 or 4 jumbo rollers, 3 or 4 metal roller clips or long bobby pins,a comb and scarf.

First you comb all your hair back. Using a comb make 3 (or 4) horizontal parts from ear to ear and section off each. You roll each section, 1 at a time , the entire section on 1 roller and secure with the metal clip or bobby pin. Do the same for the remaining sections. When done all the rollers should be stacked on on top of the other like a mohawk. Tie with a scarf and you are done. In the am, take of the scarf and rollers, spray a little oil sheen and finger comb into place. Works like a charm!

I have pics in my album but only of the end result.

HTH
Unread 05-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)

wrapping totally annihilated my hair. That and the million other terrible things I was doing to it No wrappy wrap for me.