Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

View Poll Results: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?
Makes my hair grow 101 74.26%
Makes my hair fall out or break off 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 225 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Default Re: Do sew-ins make your hair grow or fall out?

I like weaves and think you can get great growth with them, but I don't think they're for everyone. If you have thin hair, then I wouldn't recommend getting a weave, because it'll make the situation worse. The weight of the weave on your hair (even if you use a net as a barrier) can cause thinning. Some people have success with washing their hair while it's in a weave, but for others depending on the frequency of washing it can actually cause your real hair to become very matted. Which is why I recommend (if you can stand it) to not wash the hair that's weaved up that frequently - you can wash the hair that's left out as much you like. Who installs the weaves also makes a difference, because if you or the person is sewing the thread directly through the cornrow then they are essentially cutting your hair. Because that thread is a like a knife, which is why you have to make sure that the needle is going under the base of the braid. My hair didn't start out thin, but after years of wearing a sewn-in weave repeatedly it thinned it out considerably.

The way I worked around that was creating a "half wig" or "psuedo weave" which is what I like to call mine, because it looks exactly the same way it did when I wore a weave. The only difference is that the tracks are not directly sewn onto my cornrows the way it is in a tradional sew-in. I took all the extensions plus relaxed texture that I used in the past, and created a wig with it using one of those cheap net caps that you can buy at the BSS. I braid my hair in a vertical pattern which is the same pattern I used in the past when I installed my weave and leave out a horse shoe of hair in the front and the edges out. I sew the wig around the perimeter of the braids.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to simone103 For This Useful Post:
4bslbound (02-09-2011), Chanteuse (04-09-2011), GulfCoastChica (05-20-2011), livinbyproverbs31 (05-31-2011), mellowmel (07-10-2014), MISSBOSSY (02-09-2011), mscocopuff (02-10-2011), Rina88 (03-24-2011), tamrag (02-14-2011), Tiye (03-16-2011), yardyspice (03-26-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone103 View Post
The way I worked around that was creating a "half wig" or "psuedo weave" which is what I like to call mine, because it looks exactly the same way it did when I wore a weave. The only difference is that the tracks are not directly sewn onto my cornrows the way it is in a tradional sew-in. I took all the extensions plus relaxed texture that I used in the past, and created a wig with it using one of those cheap net caps that you can buy at the BSS. I braid my hair in a vertical pattern which is the same pattern I used in the past when I installed my weave and leave out a horse shoe of hair in the front and the edges out. I sew the wig around the perimeter of the braids.
This is what I do but I apply mine with combs. I love weaves and they allowed me to keep my hands out of my hair, BUT I wasn't retaining as much as I could have. My hair is very fine and broke off easily from the weight of the wefts and the thread. They also thinned out the front of my hair. Since I've been wearing my homemade "quick weaves" I've been able to care for my hair and scalp better and the front of my hair and my edges have filled in drastically.

Weaves can be a great protective style, but they are not for everyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MISSBOSSY For This Useful Post:
mscocopuff (02-10-2011), Rina88 (03-24-2011), scarcity21 (03-25-2011), tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanked 7,859 Times in 2,064 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSBOSSY View Post
This is what I do but I apply mine with combs. I love weaves and they allowed me to keep my hands out of my hair, BUT I wasn't retaining as much as I could have. My hair is very fine and broke off easily from the weight of the wefts and the thread. They also thinned out the front of my hair. Since I've been wearing my homemade "quick weaves" I've been able to care for my hair and scalp better and the front of my hair and my edges have filled in drastically.

Weaves can be a great protective style, but they are not for everyone.

yes exactly.... weaves THINS my hair significantly EVERY SINGLE TIME
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beana View Post
People always say that you have to moisturize the hair underneath... i think thats a big no no!! IMO thats why so many people get extreme matting and tangles. I wash and DC my hair every 2 weeks while im in a sew in with no problems. The only time my braids underneath get wet or moist is during wash day.

Keep in mind this is what works best **for me**
Also a superb Idea. This is how I do mine as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaleezza View Post
Ok, I keep reading that you ought to properly look after your hair while it's under the weave but what does that mean?

I wear a sew in and I'm scared to wash/DC it because I imagine that 1) my weave will become loose once I've saturated the hair, 2) my hair will become matted underneath once it's washed and naturally dried without being combed and 3) I wont be able to properly wash out the shampoo and conditioner.

So I wouldn't mind some advice as to how to go through this process while my hair is in weave because currently I don't wash it at all.
Your hair should not mat if it is in the sew in for the allotted time frame. You don't want to wash it everyday. You want to stick with every week or two as all the other ladies here have stated. Your extensions shouldn't come loose because essentially you would wash it about three to four times during the life of that install (about 1 1/2 months to two). You can always opt to do a co-wash on your extensions as well, the thing to be concerned with when washing is the actual extensions matting. You avoid this buy smoothing the shampoo or conditioner on in a sideways praying motion. Smooth it down your hair a few times, then rinse out. Never rub the hair together. I wash my extensions in the shower because it is easier to let the water run down, but you can also wash it in the sink if you are careful, but the shower is easiet. Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscocopuff For This Useful Post:
lux10023 (03-22-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 AM

Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,414 Posts
Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 32 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHair View Post
Personally, I have never known anyone who used sew-ins to grow their hair, that actually grew strong healthy hair. Now 5+ years later they have thinned out, chewed up hair and now they feel they have to wear sew-ins. 100% of them said they wish they never started wearing them. Plus they got addicted to having long hair.
This is what happened to my home girl. In college she always had past SL or APL nice relaxed hair. Then she went natural, but was always in straight weaves for about 5 years. We lost touch but I would occasionally see pics of her weaved up and I would be thinking wow she's been natural all this time and her hair was already nice before, I bet she has so much hair now! We recently reconnected and she had a right above SL bob, she said the weaves took her hair out and she said she's leaving them alone from now on. She said she had gotten really attached to them and it was hard to let them go and to have to cut her hair into a bob. From what I remember from college, her hair is naturally thin, not the strands, but density and she is like a 3c/4a. She was mostly doing the weaves herself

I can see both sides. The method and who's putting it in makes a big difference I'm sure, I mean just look at all of Reniece's success stories. However, I also agree with another poster who said somethings just weren't meant to be for some people. Just like some people just can't do relaxers/heat no matter what technique is used.

Personally I've only had like 2 sew ins and I don't recall any breakage or anything but I don't recall feeling like I wanted to keep doing them either. I just don't like the idea of not having access to my hair for extended periods of time like that and it was always so dry once I took them down, no matter what I did. So I won't be trying weaves in the future, I will just stick to my half wigs for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imani For This Useful Post:
shortdub78 (02-11-2011), ThickHair (03-24-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I retained my length with weaves...
The Following User Says Thank You to classi123 For This Useful Post:
lux10023 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanked 8,070 Times in 1,013 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 47 Thread(s)

They helped my hair grow, but only up to a certain point. Once it got longer than shoulder length, the sew-ins began to damage my ends.

I got a kinky curly sew-in last fall and it really damaged my hair. I had to cut several inches off.

My little man is finally here!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

I have a co worker who grew her hair from sl to full bsl in 2 years using weaves. She is natural and used weaves as a constant ps.

I, on the other hand, was not so successful using weaves as a pc. When I had the weave I was relaxed and the beautician I was going to was only concerned about money and making her job easier. As a result she would relax my hair and weave it up on the same day....a BIG no no. ( I know better than to let this happen now). After 2 years I was still at a nl and really broken off and damaged.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanked 4,099 Times in 709 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

I do sew-ins during the cold months because this is when I seem to suffer from breakage the most. I wouldn't say the weave helps my hair to grow but it is excellent for retention for me. My real hair is almost APL.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
shrinkage.

Thanked 15,316 Times in 2,940 Posts
Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

Sew ins grow my hair without a question. I would still be wearing them if I hadn't decided wearing my own hair is more important. The hair I had under the sew in would inch longer and longer while every time the hair I left out got shorter....
The Following User Says Thank You to mischka For This Useful Post:
RegaLady (04-10-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanked 115,714 Times in 15,993 Posts
Mentioned: 2044 Post(s)
Tagged: 59 Thread(s)

I think weaves work if you take your weave down every six weeks or you make a wig. We've seen Nichi and Ediese grow their hair to bsl and beyond using weaves. That's proof enough for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yardyspice For This Useful Post:
Kneechay (03-28-2011), Kurlee (05-07-2011), nikolite (06-15-2011), Rina88 (05-07-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,030 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

It depends on who braids your hair when a sew in is installed. For example I wore singles ( braids for years) and still have my edges. People always ask me how so. I say becasue I go to someone who knows what they are doing. Not everyone knows how to weave and the same goes for braids. Braids make people's hair fall out when so called braiders put too much hair on a single strandof your hair, which makes it heavy and it falls out. Go to someone who knows what they are doing and you should be fine :0).
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

If done correctly, sew-ins should make your hair grow. Also, you can't just get a sew-in weave put in and don't take care of your own hair properly underneath. It should not be falling out.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanked 7,622 Times in 1,396 Posts
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

sew ins are what helped me retain my length! i do them myself. very low manipulation. i started wearing wigs but weave is better, there's no take down every day to remoisterize. in a sew-in i just dip my head back in the shower everyday! no matting.
**crown & glory** LETS DO THIS 2014!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanked 26,856 Times in 5,147 Posts
Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beana View Post
People always say that you have to moisturize the hair underneath... i think thats a big no no!! IMO thats why so many people get extreme matting and tangles. I wash and DC my hair every 2 weeks while im in a sew in with no problems. The only time my braids underneath get wet or moist is during wash day.

Keep in mind this is what works best **for me**
ITA! I have done it both ways(moisterizing my hair everyday under a weave and not moisterizing it at all) It worked out well both times. With my last install, I moisterized like heck before install. I prepped it really well. When I got the install I washed once a month. Thats right, no manipulation at all during those months. By 8 weeks, when I took my hair down, my hair thrived AND I retained alot. Right now I have a sew in and I don't anticipate washing more than once a month either, but this works for me.
RubyWoo (05-07-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanked 19,057 Times in 3,732 Posts
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

How the heck does a sew in 'make' your hair grow?

Final relaxer 4/8/09 BC: 4/15/10
Old 05-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

I think I retain length wearing sew-ins. You just have to take care of your hair underneath. It can break off if you leave the hair in to long.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanked 13,051 Times in 1,780 Posts
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say that the sew-ins made my hair grow. I think that they helped me with retention....

I wore them for months straight until I reached BSL. I think that there are a great protective style if taken care of property
Old 05-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanked 2,400 Times in 433 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

I answered Yes.

But, I had set back this week becuz of a too tight thread over my edges. I foolishly braided my hair all back for a full sew in last month. I usually do a circle pattern too prevent pressure on my edges.

I wanted to try something different it ended up losing 3 inches in the front and gaining small bald spot. I never lost so much hair in my life. It was a truly depressing moment when I realized what happened. I cried a little.

Now, I going to read all the info about growing your edges. I have no clue yet on what protective style to rock this summer. I'm thinking a curly half wig...maybe.