How do I get that sleek ponytail look? Example pics included

chasturner84

Ladies,

I have an event coming up and I want to wear a long, sleek ponytail. How do I get that wet/shiny ponytail look (products)? I am relaxed.

Last edited:

Nonie

Your pics didn't show up but I am guessing if you mean making the front lie flat and smooth like a ballerina's that Eco Styler might work. I've seen posts where people said it smoothed down their flyaway hairs--and I imagine it has some kind of "gluing" effect that can make the hair lie down and stay down.

Disclaimer: I've never personally used it so this is just a guess.

Nonie

I also think any anti-frizz product or gel on damp hair can work. I can speak for John Frieda Frizz Ease Serum. I used to use it on my damp relaxed hair and it'd give a very neat finish.

I'm not sure but this might've been one of those JF Frizz Ease on damp hair dos:

Cool thing is the style would hold and my hair would not be hard and stiff when I later combed. It worked better than mousse.

cmbodley

After putting your gel or whatever product you may have to add a few drops of a gloss serum in your palms & run hands over your hair for the shine

chasturner84

Thanks Nonie! I was wondering how ladies got that really smooth shiny look and if their hair was hard from a gel product or something similar

NikkiGirl

When I ponytail when wet and then let dry, I only need conditioner and it will be blinging. Maybe you can try that.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I don't really need anything for hold because I don't want my hair too stiff. I love how coconut oil gives shine but it doesn't work well on my hair. Thanks though!!
hey chas girl, long time no speak. hope all is well. ecostyler holds my hair but if too much is applied, it gunks up. i almost always apply oil or serum on top of the gel and my hair has a degree of shine to it...it doesn't look like the stars pics but it looks similar. and yeah, don't forget to scarf the hair like stated earlier. at first, i didn't think my hair liked evco but i think i was using way too much. now i apply a pea size and it works great for shine. have you tried using varying amounts to see if it was just prod overload?? just checking.

chasturner84

hey chas girl, long time no speak. hope all is well. ecostyler holds my hair but if too much is applied, it gunks up. i almost always apply oil or serum on top of the gel and my hair has a degree of shine to it...it doesn't look like the stars pics but it looks similar. and yeah, don't forget to scarf the hair like stated earlier. at first, i didn't think my hair liked evco but i think i was using way too much. now i apply a pea size and it works great for shine. have you tried using varying amounts to see if it was just prod overload?? just checking.

Hey girl! It has been a while. I have tried EVCO as many ways as 1 person could try it and have had no luck. I just gave up. However, olive oil is FANTASTIC on my hair. Maybe I can try that?

LushLox

For sleek pony's and buns, I mix some Aveda Universal Styling Creme with their Finishing emollient, style the hair and put my scarf on to 'set' it = lots of bling and sheen.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
You seriously need to go out and buy the ORS Edge Control. It will give you a sleek, but "dry" shiny hold, while gel might give you slight waves and look "wet." am i making sense??
I hate pushing products on people lol, but seriously. that stuff is absolutely amazing. i wish i could show a pic, but i refuse to use fotki on my little mini laptop because i'm scurred.

chasturner84

I'm definitely going for the bling factor and you ladies have given some great responses.

Rocky, you were making perfect sense, thx!

Fine 4s

Wow, thanks for this informaton on ORS Edge Control. I remember YEARS ago someone asked me if I knew of a gel that would hold their hair flat but not create waves or that wet look and I had NO idea what they were talking about. But it always stuck with me because I didn't believe it could be!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that your avatar looks slick and shiny to me. However you achieved that loo, do it again and use hairspray to comb down the fly aways and a small rat toothed comb. That's how I achieved this look some time ago. My hair was straighened with a rollerset and blowdry (I'm natural).

Someone I know wants to achieve this look (3rd picture down) with a 4- inch twa. Besides buying a lace front wig, or getting weave I had no recommendations for her.

charmtreese

I would suggest a clear rinse and then air drying using the scarf method. I would also use a shine serum to help with the bling.

BillsBackerz67

This is what I do:

I use ampro styling gel (the brown kind) mixed with kemi oyl (for shine)....apply to roots. Use a nice medium boar bristle brush to smooth...then tie a scarf taut around the base of the pony tail......get dressed, shower, clean etc while its setting....take scarf off and it should be sleek and shiny. I seem to really get sleek results after a shower. Idk if it has to do with the steam or not but either way it comes out looking pretty nice.

BillsBackerz67

ETA you might want to look for a less watery gel and look for sculpting gel or dry molding type of hold product. The water in the gel can make your hair look sleek but wavy if you have some texture in your hair (i see that you are relaxed). This is how mine sets because I have curly hair. But seeing that ur relaxed you should be able to get duplicate results in the pics you posted :yep:

KLomax

I've had success with mango butter...followed by IC Plus Gel(blue) & a soft brush. The mango sbutter smooths the hair & the gel holds it in place.

divachyk

Hey girl! It has been a while. I have tried EVCO as many ways as 1 person could try it and have had no luck. I just gave up. However, olive oil is FANTASTIC on my hair. Maybe I can try that?
I would try that but it seems the ladies have given you some other good suggestions. So many to choose from....which are you gonna pick first. :drunk: Some of their suggestions got me thinking I might need to run out a make a purchase.

Solitude

A flat iron and a SERUM. If you need more hold, us a pomade. Don't use gel; it'll make your natural texture wave/puff up. I don't mind that look, but it's not sleek.

sqzbly1908

I would suggest a clear rinse and then air drying using the scarf method. I would also use a shine serum to help with the bling.

This is exactly what I did when I had to go for the sleek/shiny - w/afro puff (even rocked tha' baby hair) ponytail for a Halloween party last year...Couldn't tell me 'nuthin (lol)

almondjoi85

When I do down 'dos as I like to call them I start with half way air dried hair. I use gel to slick down any edges and then add coconut oil for shine. I secure my hair with the ponytail out, under a scarf to lay everything down. I leave the ponytail out because when it air dries it has lots more texture and to create something interesting and beautiful I always need texture in the ponytail.

divachyk

What clear rinse would you suggest? I have zero experience with having rinses or color treated hair.