How I Relax My Hair ***Very Pic Heavy***

taz007

Hi All! I decided to chronicle how I relax my hair as I get many questions about my process. I hope this can be of help to someone.

Ah man, was it TIME to do a touch up! When my hair gets really long, they betta not accuse me of having that "good hurr" :blush::

Products:

Step 1- Base my scalp with Mizani Base:

Step 2 - Mix Phyto neutralizing shampoo/Joico Cuticle Sealer/Vaseline (I apply this to the previously relaxed ends before beginning the relaxer process):

Step 3-Pre-part hair and apply mix in Step 2 to the previously relaxed ends (I do the half and half method):

I then mix my Phyto II with:

1 vial of Biolage Fortetherapie
1/4 cup of Walnut Oil
2 Tablespoons of SAA

1. I apply the relaxer to my hair for 13 minutes.
  2. Rinse
  3. Apply Soft Sheen Duotex for 1 minute (first time doing this)
  4. Rinse
  5. Apply Redken Deep Fuel for 5 minutes (first time doing this, definitely a keeper!)
  6. Rinse
  7. Neutralizing Shampoo
  8. Rinse
  9. Apple Cider Vinegar (1/4 cup to 3/4 cup of water)
  10. Rinse
  11. Neutralizing Shampoo
  12. Rinse
  13. Apple Cider Vinegar
  14. Rinse
  15. Neutralizing Shampoo (leave in)
  16. Repeat Steps 1-15 for the front half of my hair
  17. Rinse out the Neutralizing Shampoo
  18. Apply my mix of Garlic oil/Aloe Vera Gel to my scalp (stops shedding!) and Duotex to my hair and go to sleep!
  19. Rinse in the morning
Here is how much hair that I lost in the entire process (including flat ironing!) :yay: :

Results (I am transitioning to texlaxed hair and have about 3 inches of texlaxed hair)
:

I will post a pic of my flat ironed hair tomorrow.

ETA: Flat ironed hair pics are here: How I Relax My Hair - Part 2 ***Pics*** - Long Hair Care Forum

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Great tut Taz, your post has to be the strongest argument for self-laxing. The care you take in the whole process is incredible esp the measures to stop overlapping. I can never see them going to all that trouble in a salon.

Keep up the good work and happy growing. :yep:

Muse

Thanks. It's always nice to see a fellow 4b have success with texlaxing. I am going to add the protein step after rinsing out the relaxer but before the shampoo next time I touch up.

Janet'

I'm not relaxed, but I love how you listed your steps. Good job and waiting for final product!

Luscious Locks

I'm so glad you did your tutorial. Well done, well explained, and from the pics it was obviously well executed. Great job!

... and I thought I had a lot of steps... hahaha. Do you notice with Phyto that you need to neutralize a lot more than with other relaxers you've tried? I've noticed this. I rinse and neutralize about as many times as you've listed. No pink suds for me.

Can't wait for the flatironed results. What iron will you be using?

danysedai

Thank you Taz!!! (showing support for relaxed and texlaxed ladies :) )
Please come back and show your flat ironed pics.

MaryJane3000

how do you do the back of your head? After this last trip to the salon I'm contemplating relaxing my hair myself but I'm afraid I'm going to underprocess or overlap...

sunbubbles

I'm not relaxed, but I love how you listed your steps. Good job and waiting for final product!

Ditto at the bolded! Im bookmarking this for if I ever DO decide to go back to relaxing! Great details! Thanks so much. I can also use this to help out my relaxed friends:yep:

yasluvsme

Lovely!!! I love doing the half and half method I feel like i have more control over the outcome of my hair when it's done that way..

Why do you do the acv rinse between neutralizing? Just curious I've never heard of doing that.

taz007

Lovely!!! I love doing the half and half method I feel like i have more control over the outcome of my hair when it's done that way..

Why do you do the acv rinse between neutralizing? Just curious I've never heard of doing that.

I use ACV to quickly get to the white suds and close the cuticle. Phyto is notoriously difficult to neutralize.

mbib0002

Thanks for te detail. Your air is super gorgeous.

If I may ask, how many weeks post-relaxer are you here?

taz007

how do you do the back of your head? After this last trip to the salon I'm contemplating relaxing my hair myself but I'm afraid I'm going to underprocess or overlap...

The back is difficult to relax. That is the reason why I cover the previously relaxed hair with Joico/Neutralizing shampoo/vaseline and prepart the hair in order to prevent overlapping.

I also have a 360 degree mirror.

You can do it, I was just as apprehensive in the beginning. :yep:

Stella B.

Thanks Taz for the insightful tutorial on how you texlax. Your step by step directions are very logical, and can be followed easily. You answered my question about when to apply the Biolage ceramides in this process. Love it, thank you, and can't wait for the flat iron pics!! :)

taz007

I'm so glad you did your tutorial. Well done, well explained, and from the pics it was obviously well executed. Great job!

... and I thought I had a lot of steps... hahaha. Do you notice with Phyto that you need to neutralize a lot more than with other relaxers you've tried? I've noticed this. I rinse and neutralize about as many times as you've listed. No pink suds for me.

Can't wait for the flatironed results. What iron will you be using?

LL,

I am so sorry that I missed your post!

You know, Phyto was the first relaxer that I tried since I was natural for 9 years. Before that, I always went to a salon where they only neutralized my hair twice (I believe that this was the reason for my non-retention of hair :ohwell:)

I did read that Phyto was very difficult to neutralize so that is why I use the ACV in between the neutralizing shampoo steps and get white suds fairly quickly.

NYDee

The clips you used, are they plastic or metal? I was trying to find one to buy yesterday but I could only find the metal ones and I don't think it's good to use the metal ones with relaxer.

taz007

The clips you used, are they plastic or metal? I was trying to find one to buy yesterday but I could only find the metal ones and I don't think it's good to use the metal ones with relaxer.

The clips are metal however, I do not get any relaxer on them as I remove them before applying relaxer to that particular section. Hope that makes sense.

princesslocks

Taz I'm so glad that you bumped this thread...I was on my way to Sephora to Purchase the Phyto relaxer and I got online to re-read the Everything you needed to know about Phyto and more thread. I used Phyto in the past and I'm revisiting what works:yep:

I had a MAJOR setback :sad:

Bnster

Thanks for bumping. I am trying to decide what relaxer to use. I once wanted to buy the Phyto while on sale but they don't deliver to Canada, which sucks. Are you still doing the same steps as before?

taz007

Thanks for bumping. I am trying to decide what relaxer to use. I once wanted to buy the Phyto while on sale but they don't deliver to Canada, which sucks. Are you still doing the same steps as before?

Yes, the steps are pretty much the same except, I do not use the DuoTex for one minute immediately after a relaxer.

I just relaxed my hair today and I have the garlic/aloe gel on my scalp right now.