I'm confused, ends breaking off in little pieces

November

I\'m confused, ends breaking off in little pieces

<font color="purple">I've been using great products especially the conditioners like: Nexxus Emergencee, Paul Mitchell Supercharged, Nexxus Humectrus, Aphogee Protein treatment, Aphogee Moisturizing conditioner, Hair Mayonnaise, Alterna. Sebastian Laminates Shampoo. But my hair is still breaking off...I wear a satin cap at night. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My hair IS NOT over processed. What can I do ladies? Whats Up with my hair?
</font>

Isis

Re: I\'m confused, ends breaking off in little pieces

Welcome November!

Are you using any heat? Are you moisturizing your ends regularly? What is your hair regimen?

November

I'm using no heat, I use pink oil and bed head ego boost on the ends; and what is a Co wash sarina??

Isis

It's great you are not using heat.
It would help if you tell us your hair regimen, step-by-step what you do on wash day, what you use on your hair that day and how you use it. Then we can see more what is going on.

sarina0000

you wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo, some people say by doing this it helps them keep in their moisture and gets less breakage.

keylargo

How often are you using protein? I used too many protein conditioners too often and suffered from it. I didn't stop having breakage until I cut out protein for at least if not longer. Are you using protein more then once a week?

Paladin

Hello November,

I see exactly what your problem is. Immediately discontinue use of the Pink Oil and the Bed Head Ego Boost.

The Pink Oil is a proven hair buster containing drying agents which will Break Off Your Hair, especially your ends. Throw it away! When I used it, I would wonder why my hair would still be so dry and break off at the ends in tiny pieces. Many of us on this Board experienced terrible hair breakage using the evil Pink Oil. Do a search on the Board for threads re "Pink Oil".

I have never used the Bed Head Ego Boost....However, several people on this Board have recently reported that this product also causes Significant Hair Breakage. Check out some of the most recent posts regarding the Ego Boost.

These two products alone have caused considerable dryness to your hair. To correct their damage, you now need to infuse mega moisture into your hair, especially your ends. Start with a very moisturizing shampoo to rid your hair of the pink oil and ego boost. The conditioner washes are an excellent corrective treatment. Make sure they are Moisturizing conditioners. Perhaps a 30 minute conditioner treatment with a plastic cap under a dryer or wrapped in a heated towel. There are many good conditioners to choose from. A really good one I and others use is the Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner line. Also, Profective Breakfree and Profective for Ends.

The other products you're using sound like they are good quality. Also check out the 'baggie technique' which is an intense conditioning treatment for dry and damaged ends. I use it as a preventative treatment against dry ends at least twice a week.

If you have any more questions, let us know. There are many hair experts on this Board. Hope this helps.

candibaby

ITA with Paladin!

Suave Milk and Honey is an excellent conditioner for co washes, you can find many raves from the other ladies on the board about this product. V05 Conditioners are good too.

ubavka123

I also totally agree. I haven't used pink oil since that one time 10 years ago when I experienced that it SUCKS for my hair--makes it dry and smelly ( I lived in humid South Florida at the time). Also, I jumped on the Ego Boost bandwagon when I first joined this board a few weeks ago, but quickly hopped off. This is why: at first, my ends were really responding. They felt soft. But after a matter of a few uses, they started to feel dry and little pieces would snap off in my fingers when I was moisturizing my ends. I gave up the Ego Boost and the problem disappeared. Come to find out from some of the ladies here that the protein in it is not always compatible with everyone's hair. It made my ends crispy. Too much protein is not a good thing, especially if there is not enough moisture being infused into the hair. Good luck to you in correcting this problem. Finding what works for your hair is a lovely process. It can be frustrating, because what works for others may not work for you. But when you find that product that your hair loves, you will be sooo happy!

candibaby

--also if you use heat on your hair a lot (curling irons, blow dryers, flat irons...) that could be a factor too.

November

Thanks Everybody.. I will stop the pink oil &amp; ego boost; damn I just bought the ego boost too, I'm a see if I can take it back and exchange it. My hair is a poof ball the kiddie perms don't do anything for me, so I keep my hair with conditioner in it, when I go out I put a wig on or head wrap. I want to wear my own hair which is very thick and 8" (I'm growing it back.) I do protein treatment once in a blue moon. I bought Precise super Relaxer yesterday and put some Porosity Control in it, but its in a fridge. I am cautious of putting it in myself.

November

Also I'll like to ask what can I put regularly on my ends to keep them moisturized??
Thanks

loverofnaps71

I would stop using Paul Mitchell products on my hair. Read the ingredients. I used to SWEAR by PM, but my hair began to break off. It would look great while wet, but when dry my hair is dry and crisp...most prone to breakage! Protein is not always great for the hair; in fact, it can be detrimental and no amount of Aphogee or Nexxus can compete once the breakage begins. It'll keep getting worse and worse. Also, try the "Vaseline Challenge." Every night, put a generous amount of vaseline on the ends ONLY...not the scalp. Tie your hair up with a silk scarf. After one week, your ends should feel better and healthier. As a natural, this worked for me when my hair was breaking off.

Make sure you use a good moisturing conditioner/cholesterol. I really love Dark N Lovely cholesterol for a deep conditioner. But try to find a moisturizing conditioner that you can use often.

Try the No-Poo method, where you would wash your hair using conditioner instead of shampoo. Some shampoos contain detergents and can dry out the hair, again making it more prone to breakage. My hair has never been healthier since I incorporated the No-Poo.

Drink plenty of water. Use loose oils like Hot Oil Six, which is terrific.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and keep us posted.

loverofnaps71

Profectiv Healthy Ends is also good for the ends if you don't want to try the vaseline...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: I\'m confused, ends breaking off in little piec

Hello November

Sometimes, when we begin a healthy hair regimen--there is still hair on our head that was there before we began our healthy hair regimen--and if that hair was subject to abuse then most likely it is still behaving like abused hair. Sometimes, the previously abused hair improves and sometimes it does not--and of course the ends would be the worst, because they are the oldest and probably suffered the longest abuse.

Also, if your hair is relaxed and you are using a no-lye relaxer-- I would recommend that you switch to a lye relaxer immediately upon your next re-touch.

November

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
Finding what works for your hair is a lovely process. It can be frustrating, because what works for others may not work for you. But when you find that product that your hair loves, you will be sooo happy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats the thing it is frustrating as He** to find the right products for my hair. So many products with too much alcohol and its like a person moving to the ghetto for the first time, they have to learn street sense and I have little game when it comes to hair sense for myself lately. I thought Ego Boost was the bomb too but I stopped it as well, because its not gonna make my problem any better. I'm looking for that happiness girl, this is bananas