can healthy hair grow under wig

rebirth

So for any one who read my intro. you'll know i am new here...last week i decided to just cut off most of my hair...there wasnt alot anyway..:lol: ..and what was there was in bad condition...

anyway after I cut my hair, I realized "I cant go to work like this" so I have decided to wear a wig for a while..

does any one know if this will affect healthy hair growth in a negative way?

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
I did exactly the same thing in 1999 (cut off all of my hair and wore wigs), then went to braids and phony-ponytails, etc. My hair grew back strong and healthy under those wigs. Good luck!

nicki6

I've worn wigs off and on for the past few months and it has really helped to retain my growth:up:

atlien11

My hair is growing like weeds under this lacefront. Its definitely beneficial. The only suggestion i would have is to make sure the wig is well ventilated so that your hair underneatch can breathe. :D

Kimberly

I think wearing wigs as helped me retain length on occasion. It's really up to you and how well you take care of the hair underneath.

Good luck!

JazzyDez

I wear 3/4 wigs which are pretty well ventilated underneath as someone else mentioned. Just make sure not to put to much stress on your hair underneath. I have been rocking these things for a hot minute (while taking good care of my hair) and my hair is growing....

angellazette

Yes it sure can!!! Make sure you are consistent with caring for your hair underneath...regular washing, conditioning, moisturizing, oiling, trims as/if needed...

JazzyDez

rebirth said:
what is a 3/4 wig and where can I get that?

3/4 wigs, some call them 1/2 wigs. They are wigs that you can comb your own hair over the front. They have been a moneysaver and timesaver for me! I get mines from the hair store but they sell them online also. I will see if I can find a link

tenderheaded

Absolutely, positively YES!!! A stylist caused all my hair to fall out in 2004. I had less than 1/2 inch:eek: I wore my wig, used Blue Magic and Perm Repair and my hair was touching my shoulders in 1 year. Keep it clean and use a wig cap. You're on you way. Even after you reach your goal, a wig is a great way to always have ready to go hair!!!!!

MonaLisa

atlien11 said:
My hair is growing like weeds under this lacefront. Its definitely beneficial. The only suggestion i would have is to make sure the wig is well ventilated so that your hair underneatch can breathe. :D

Co-signing.....I'll continue wigging my way to my hair goals...:D

zailless

I have been wearing wigs for a year now. i am natural. it helped me while growing my hair out. i dont wear a wig cap though. I lost a patch of hair at the site where the wig cap was resting. I am now struggling to regrow that area. had to go to the derm and md. I would say be careful of the wig cap. now that I dont wear the wig cap my hair has room to breathe. I condition my hair and moisturize every night as usual. I also have to massage my scalp every night to get the blood flow going, in areas where the wig might be tight when i first buy it. it wears out in 2 weeks or so, comfy enough for my scalp. I buy the one with the mesh for 90 dollars. it lasts me for atleast 3 months. even if it tears I sew it up just to make sure i get my money's worth.

Sweetyb

I've been wearing half wigs and what I can tell you is...
- The mesh wig caps allow for better ventilation to your scalp than the stocking caps
- Take care of your hair underneath as if you weren't wearing a wig... but you can get away with not having to comb it, etc.

Your hair will benefit greatly from wearing wigs... keeps your hair warm in the winter, and blocks out the damaging rays of the sun in the summer :)

isioma85

Wigs are my babies' daddies. :look:

Seriously though, I started wearing wigs this year as an alternative to styling my hair everyday. I have two 3/4 wigs, one simple black and about APL, the other with brown highlights and Spanish waves, and about Midback length (that's the party wig y'all :grin:). Between those two and my phony ponies, I'm able to keep my hair manipulation on the low end. And my hair's been growing really nicely. I don't wear wig caps because they give me headaches, my head's too big and the elastic grips too tight.

They are especially a livesaver now that it's cold. My head's always nice and warm!

atlien11

i took my cornrows out last night and i found that Giovanni Pro-Fusion leave-in kept my hair very moisturized. It wasnt dry at all :D My hair has had no heat for almost 13 weeks now (except going to Balisi to get it straightened for a progress report at week 8). I am a little afraid to go much longer because i dont want breakage. Wigs definitely are my new best friend...my new unit is arriving on friday and i cant wait.

Side Note: I took my cornrows out and i felt like my hair was natural...i give it to you natural ladies. i dont see how u do it :confused:

CurliDiva

I plan to rock WIGS (I have a collection of 4) until I reach my ultimate hair goal of BRA STRAP length! :)

The biggiest advantge for me, is the ability to do ALL of my growth treatments nad health hair practices (Baggie, CW, Massages, Leave-ins, etc.) without worrying about STYLING my hair.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
atlien11 said:
i took my cornrows out last night and i found that Giovanni Pro-Fusion leave-in kept my hair very moisturized. It wasnt dry at all :D My hair has had no heat for almost 13 weeks now (except going to Balisi to get it straightened for a progress report at week 8). I am a little afraid to go much longer because i dont want breakage. Wigs definitely are my new best friend...my new unit is arriving on friday and i cant wait.

Side Note: I took my cornrows out and i felt like my hair was natural...i give it to you natural ladies. i dont see how u do it :confused:

Atlien, please, please post pics of your new LF; I just love your wig updates :) . I'm really considering getting one just based on seeing how great yours looks...Thanks!

preciousjewel76

This thread has inspired me to try a 3/4 wig! I swear, before I started reading this forum, there was NO WAY I would have thought about wearing OPH (other people's hair, LOL). But you ladies have made me a believer. I also have a phony pony on the way. I think both of these will work really well for my low manipulation styles. I'll post pics in my Fotki when I get my hurr!

SpiritJunkie

atlien11 said:

Hey Atlien11

Do you only rock lace wigs or 1/2 wigs too? If so, do you wear anything underneath? Like wig cap, nylon or stocking.

I'm trying to figure what do do underneath. I don't really like the wig cap (stocking) i use the nylon ones...that should be ok right?

Anyone can I answer that I guess.

thanks in advance.

SG

p.s. adding...I will look for the net wig cap i believe i read about somewhere..

Last edited:

rootdeep

YES YES and OH YES! LOL! I wore my hair under a half wig for 7 months and it did WONDERS for my hair! WONDERS I TELL YA! LOL

Go to the Night and Day drastic hair pics thread and see! LOL

preciousjewel76

rootdeep said:
YES YES and OH YES! LOL! I wore my hair under a half wig for 7 months and it did WONDERS for my hair! WONDERS I TELL YA! LOL

Go to the Night and Day drastic hair pics thread and see! LOL

Girl, the pics in your siggy are proof enough for me! What did you do to your natural hair under the wig? Did you braid it, or just pin it up?

Durn it, y'all got me all excited about this fake hair!:lachen:

rootdeep

preciousjewel76 said:
Girl, the pics in your siggy are proof enough for me! What did you do to your natural hair under the wig? Did you braid it, or just pin it up?

Durn it, y'all got me all excited about this fake hair!:lachen:

LOL! I'm taking my braids out at the beginning of the month and my appt isnt until that Friday but I have an event to attend before my hair appointment so I need a FULL WIG to rock. Can some of you wigged ladies help? I need some links or some pics of some cute wigs PLEASE. I need it before next Thursday.

Go to my album and see girl. I went to the stylist every 2 weeks for a good wash and condition with a protein treatment EVERY other month. She kept my hair cornrowed underneath and I oiled my hair every other night with my Doo Gro Oil and grease.

londa70

Yes your hair can be very healthy under a wig and achieve great growth. I love 3/4 wigs and I have a short wig that people swear is mine. I started my hair journey from bald-head scratch and wigs/falls helped a lot.

5-1-05.jpg

Img-20060902-1651250718.jpg

growth in 16 months

shiningstar84

be very careful with 1/2 or 3/4 wigs that have combs. The combs can damage your hair. I rocked a 3/4 wig before. I wore it only on weekends. I was too cute, till i realized it was super shiny and didnt look real:lol:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Sure can!! If you take good care of your hair underneath. I learned that the hard way by wearing a wig and not taking care of my hair underneath which lead to by BC a little before I discoverd LHCF. After I discovered LHCF I continued to wear wigs for a year and a half but I was able to retain length after learning all the wonderful tips here.

I would wash my hair once a week preferably on the weekend, airdry, oil my scalp, moisturize my ends really well and then put my hair in about 20 plaits. During the week I would wear a wig cap (stocking cap/mesh) then put my wig on and go about my business. At nights remove the wig, put on my silk/satin scarf, go to sleep.

By wearing a wig I didn't have to manipulate my hair very much because I didn't detangle when I washed it or comb to style it. I could also switch up my look whenever I wanted to instead of going to the salon and it kept my head very warm during the winter season. But always remember to moisturize your edges and nape very well because the tension from the wig cap and the wig can cause too much friction therefore leading to thinning of the hairline.