Will Hair Grow Back If Pulled with Bulb?

vtoodler

While detangling or combing, if you pull several strands of hair with the white bulbs, do they usually grow back?

What can you do to encourage the hair to regrow?

Have you ever pulled out your hair (with the white bulbs) during a bad detangling session? If so, were you worried that the damage was permanent?

Anakinsmomma

Hmmmm.... It should grow back. I'm taking Biology and we just covered hair follicles :yep: The white bulb is not (usually) the hair producing part of the follicle, it's the dead cells that shed with the hair as the follicle enters the resting stage. Hair goes in cycles and when you have shedding with the white hair, that's just the hair resetting itself.

If you are really worried about it, try a tea or coffee rinse. The caffeine is said to stop premature shedding. There's a thread for a challenge (Coffee/tee/ACV rinse challenge) where you can get recipes and ideas.

HTH

kupenda

Massage with castor oil. You're probably just seeing shed hair but just in case, massage with the oil at least once a week. And you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

westNDNbeauty

When detangling and looking at hair in the comb, we determine if the hair has SHED hair or breakage by the BULB at the end. If hair with the bulb at the end did not grow back, I think we'd all be bald right now.

So yes, even when hair comes out with the bulb, it will grow back.

Nonie

While detangling or combing, if you pull several strands of hair with the white bulbs, do they usually grow back?

Shed hairs always have white bulbs...and up to 100 of them should come out daily so when you comb and detangle, it's NORMAL to see them. They are hairs at the end of their growth cycle and they are coming out to make way for new hairs to grow. If they didn't come out, then your follicles would be abnormal.

You don't have to do anything and the hair would still regrow because that's just nature's way. But you can make the growth optimum by living a healthy lifestyle (diet, exercise, avoiding bad habits like smoking, drugs, etc) and massaging your scalp.

Have you ever pulled out your hair (with the white bulbs) during a bad detangling session? If so, were you worried that the damage was permanent?

If hair comes out with a white bulb it was probably ready to be shed so I'd not sweat it.

Maybe this info will help all the people that keep feeling as if shedding is a bad thing. It's really normal:

The Hair Growth Cycle

There are basically 3 cycles that each hair follicle has to go through around 20 times in your life. Imagine it as a never ending process until it dies to produce your crown of glory. These 3 phases are known as

• ANAGEN
  • CATAGEN
  • TELOGEN
Let' s get in depth with each of the hair phase.

The ANAGEN Phase

This is the first phase of your hair growth cycle which is also known as the growing phase. At any one time, 80 - 90 percent of your hair follicles on your scalp are in the ANAGEN phase. During this period

• Your hair grows continuously
  • The growing will continue for 3 to 7 years
  • Grows at the rate of half an inch a month
  • The hair bulb produces your hair pigment
  • Blood supply provides nutrients and minerals to your hair
  • Looks thick and nourished

The CATAGEN Phase

After the ANAGEN phase, your hair will turn into a transitional phase before going to rest. This short phase is known as the CATAGEN phase which last for 2 to 4 weeks. During this time,

• Your hair detaches from the blood supply
  • The detached follicle will slowly shrink to about 1/6 its size
  • The hair bulb stops producing the color pigment
  • The bulb will be pushed upwards towards the surface when the new hair is formed
  • Approximately 2 - 3 % of your hair will be in this phase in your scalp

The TELOGEN Phase

This is the final phase of your hair growth cycle. It is also known as the resting phase where your hair follicles will slowly fall off and replaced by a new hair.

• Around 10 - 15 % of the hair in your scalp will be in TELOGEN phase
  • 50 - 100 hairs from this phase will shed daily
  • This period lasts for 3 months before the hair falls out
  • The hair follicles become weak and thin and you can easily pull them out - new hair follicle will emerge once the hair the hair falls.
(Source)

vtoodler

The hairs that were pulled out weren't shed hairs. They were literally pulled out from the scalp during a rough detangling session.

manter26

vtoodler said:
The hairs that were pulled out weren't shed hairs. They were literally pulled out from the scalp during a rough detangling session.

It doesn't matter if it shed on its own or was pulled out. It will grow back. When you pluck your eyebrows, it grows back. It will take a while, but it will grow in. It takes a lot to cause permanent alopecia. Usually detangling, no matter how rough isn't enough to cause baldness. Castor oil will help. I once had a bald spot from chemical (color) damage. It took maybe 6+ months to grow in, but it did.

Last edited:

vtoodler

I was so worried. I pulled out a lot of hairs during the detangling session.

It was rough. Really rough.

I hadn't detangled for about a month prior to that (I know that's bad).

I'm never going to let anything like that happen again.

orangepeel

What were doing during detangling that was made it so rough? Might be something to look into the next time you are ina similiar situation.

OT: I am literally in the process of detangling right now, so I feel you on waiting so long in between sessions.

Missjae09

OP, those hairs sound like shed hairs. I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't think I've seen breakage that had the bulb attached, especially from just combing or detangling. Now if you were in a fight and someone yanked your hair out, that might cause the hair to fly out with the follicle/bulb attached but I can't see detangling/combing causing that kind of damage.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind! lol I didn't read down far enough to where you mentioned you are sure they aren't shed hairs.... OUCH!

Amarilles

No matter how much hair you pulled, if they have bulbs the hair was already in the telogen phase (good writeup above) and so it was going to fall soon anyhow. Hair in this stage are actually waiting for us to pull it, otherwise it'll fall on its own.

If you yank out a hair that's in anagen, it won't have a bulb. Try it anywhere...pluck a hair on your arm or wherever. The ones with bulbs were going to shed, the ones without will regrow after a number of days (on the head can be up to 130 days).

Hair can can thin or stop growing after it's been yanked repeatedly (in anagen) too many times though. This is traction alopecia...which we take advantage of when we wax our legs and eyebrows. It's the same concept.