Transitioners --Length Check!

Transitioners: How long is your hair right now?

• NL or shorter

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • SL

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • APL

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • BSL

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • MBL

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • WL+

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

onejamifan

Ladies, I have been transitioning for about 9 1/2 months and am curious about the hair lengths of all the women currently transitioning. I wonder if most are transitioning with longer or shorter hair. I know there are several transitioner support threads, but none specifically discuss the length of the hair... I'll start.

Current Length: Longest layer a little past HL
Transitioning: 9 1/2 months

Hopefully, it will help others interested in transitioning find fellow transitioners who have managed to keep their length while dealing with the two different textures...

Last edited:

Alta Angel

Transition time: 9 months
Current length of new growth: 4-4.5 inches
Total length: 7 inches

I went to the salon last night to get a mini-chop of 2 inches. I now officially have more natural than relaxed hair! :grin:

Grand Prix

Transitioning: 16 months
Length: APL

I actually think longer hair makes transitioning easier as it's easier to style (pony's, buns) and weighs the ng down.
I cut my hair from near bsl to apl last month, transitioning does take a toll on your ends because you have to detangle more and (my) relaxed hair is fragile.
I'm not focused on length right now, though, more on transitioning.
There is a transitioner, who managed to retain quite a bit throughout her transition. cch24, I believe.

cch24

I am 16 months into my transition and during that time I've grown from past shoulder length to MBL. My transitioning style has been a bun, which has allowed me to retain length and to have a smooth transition.

Anew

I think the further along you go, longer hair might prove tricky with transitioning. I'm only APL and I just can't take it, lol...

Current Length: APL (maybe longer than siggy pic since that was taken in November
Transition Time: 30 weeks

ETA: I will BC sometime in April

Imani

I'm probably one of the shortest haired transitioners on here. I am neck length. My current length is in my avatar. My bottom layers r almost all natural Bc they r so short. The back of my hair has more natural hair than relaxEd hair. The crown and front pieces have more relaxed hair.

I would think longer hair would be easier to manage. However mine has not been too bad primarily bc I wear my hair flat ironed all the time. I have just barely enough hair to pull back and do a phony pony so that helps as well.

One good thing about starting out w short hair is that the process should be quicker.

I'm a little over 6 months post and I have not measured but Id guess I have about 3 inches of new growth

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
13 months on 3/12/10
still long layered mbl- have retained some with trims, but not wl
I have posted a couple of times(in detail) already what I do

Scorpimini14720

Good morning ladies,

Transition time: 40 weeks
Current length: a little longer than APL

I have no idea how many inches of new growth I have and I don't plan to bc until I reach MBL. At least that's the plan for now. LOL I am kind of afraid to actually measuring my new growth because I don't want to be disappointed if my hair hasn't grown the average rate.

Last edited:

onejamifan

I am 16 months into my transition and during that time I've grown from past shoulder length to MBL. My transitioning style has been a bun, which has allowed me to retain length and to have a smooth transition.

Your hair looks straight in your avatar? Are you a straight transitioner?

Eisani

Transition time: 27 months
Current length: MBL

I cut hair three days in a row last weekend and I *think* all of the relaxer is gone, but I'll be washing today or tomorrow to know for sure.

Eisani

I think the further along you go, longer hair might prove tricky with transitioning. I'm only APL and I just can't take it, lol...

Current Length: APL (maybe longer than siggy pic since that was taken in November
Transition Time: 30 weeks

ETA: I will BC sometime in April
:yep: It can get a little sticky trying to contend with super healthy new growth and what you thought was healthy relaxed hair that now seems feeble and fragile. I got so tired of those lil relaxed ends breaking, I just got to snipping. I now need to find someone that can cut curly hair and give mine a shape. BTW, I haven't experienced any breakage since cutting.

cch24

Your hair looks straight in your avatar? Are you a straight transitioner?

My avatar is a bun I did on hair that was rollerset, I believe. I have straightened maybe 5 times since I began transitioning and mostly wear my hair in a wet bun.

Diva_Esq

43 weeks (almost 10 months) tomorrow! :)
Just made APL :yay:

I think making APL is helping me recommit to my long-term transition and waiting until my NG gets past SL or toward APL to chop. We'll see. I have until June to decide. :) OP, your hair is DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL! :drool:

Last edited:

ceebee3

I'm 27 weeks post. I voted shoulder length but I'm closer to APL.

I'll be transitioning for a very long time, until my new growth is APL unstretched.

lizzyb168

Transitioning for 9 months, I think im grazing APL, but i havent done a proper length check.

I will not BC until my hair reaches mid back length, so my natural hair hopefully will be around APL.

As my hair has got longer, its got easier for me to detangle and to put in a protective style.

lolascurls

Transitioning for 13 weeks now.
Current length: a bit past BSL

My styles include buns and updos with twists, crochet braids and cornrows incorporated when I get bored of just bunning. Currently in crochet braids.

I plan not to BC until at least a year in or when my texlaxed hair reaches WL (mini-chop to get rid of bone-straight relaxed ends then!)
It's going well so far. Just researching how to stretch my hair for twistout or braidout sets so I can be ready with big fierce hair for the summer! :woot:

dorko

near BSL i think
and i'm almost 8months post
when i take out my twists in like 2 weeks, i'll length check :drunk:

MRJ1972

March 6 will be 1 year since transition! I started at APL and I am now SL...My ends are a HOT MESS and it doesnt help they knot up, so when detangling, I pretty much yank my hair out!

Current Length: Shoulder length :S
Transitioning: 6 months

Basically, I began my hair journey trying to grow long relaxed hair, but since I haven't been good at relaxing and I can't really afford a salon, and also the relaxed hair seems to just be breaking off anyway so I'm leaving that stuff alone. My hair does look like a freaking mess ATM though :(, hiding it in wigs and braids for a while. I'm gonna keep holding out till I have a decent sized fro though, I'm don't think I can rock a TWA well :nono:. I'll post photos asap.

Duchesse

Transitioning time: 22 weeks
Length: SL.....I've been trimming back to bluntish SL

I'm hoping to transition until at least 52 weeks.

ycj1

Monday 1 Mar will be 13 months for me. My hair is in braids and they will stay that way until Dec of 2011 or 2012! I have'nt decided yet! It will depend on the growth I have.

I am currently at nl almost sl! I made my mind up to cut 1.5 in of texlax out at the end of this Dec and another 1 in next Dec which would rid me of all my texlaxed hair.

My ultimate goal is to reach mbl by next yr fully natural!:yep:

ChristmasCarol

Current Length: grazing BSL (was at CBL in May, basically where hair is sitting on my shoulder in siggy)
Transitioning for 9 months

I never even considered a big chop, and I just pretend nothing's changed. Care for hair as usual (just more gently), style as usual.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Current Length: Shoulder after approx 2" mini-chop in Dec (see pic)
10 months into transition.

I'm not really sure how much NG I have, but I do know I'm a slow grower. May be about 3"? Who knows! Right know, I'm just winging the transition process with no goal date for the BC. Aside from getting my hair straightened in December for a xmas party, I've been cornrowing my hair under scarves or hats all winter and wearig wigs when necessary. It's working for now.

Attachments

• straightened Dec 09.jpg
    straightened Dec 09.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 7

Jewell

I'm MBL and 7 mos, 4 days into transition. I began my transition with APL length hair July 09. I have transitioned to natural before (Sept. 07-June 08, 9 mos) with less than ear-length (EL) hair. When I BC'd, I was at SL. I've enjoyed both transitions, though this time there will be no BC! My next official length check (where I do a hard press/straighten) will be Dec. 2010.

Last edited:

Honey Bee

Current length: CBL, I guess.
Transitioning (from relaxed to texlaxed): since I joined, so about 6 months.

When I started my hhj, the last maybe 4" of my hair needed to be cut, but it was only CBL, and I didn't want to lose all my length. So, I cut it back to SL and started texlaxing. My avatar was taken in October, I think. I've been growing it out and doing mini-chops (4). I probably have one left, and my ends should be okay for a while. I probably could have been past APL by now, but I value health more than length. *shrug*

eta: I voted SL and changed an overly pessimistic smiley.

Last edited: