Why does scalp itches when braided or weaved?

bermudabeauty

I have recently put in a weave and I know right off that the scalp will itch something fierce! But why? Does anyone know why your scalp itches so badly when in braids or weaves?

ChocalateDiva

Sometime there is a chemical on the weave that ppl are sensitive to. If you submerge the weave in a lil vinegar and water before installing, that may help.

Lebiya

I was told that it should be soaked in vinegar and Luke warm water for 20 mins or so to remove some kind of product they put on it before it’s sold. That causes itching

ayoung

For me---it was/is the weave hair. The chemicals and dyes are no joke on my scalp. When I wash the braids as soon as I get them (with certain hair) the itching stops. (you can see all the black dye going down the drain...ugh!)

Never had that prob. with my Extentions Plus hair b/c they advise you to wash first anyway.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I think it's because all the individual hairs are being pulled.

I completely agree with this. It's the tension of your hair follicles being pulled or stimulated in some form or fashion that makes your scalp inclined to itch more. Just like when you've been constantly walking for a long time...the blood circulation makes my thighs itch somthing fierce!!! :yep:

vkb247

I think that there are several reasons.

You might be allergic to the hair. Like the other ladies said - NEVER install weave hair before washing it first.

Sometimes weavers use extension hair in your braids to make a better base but if you are allergic to extension hair then this is a no no.

I personally think that my hair itches when braided because my hair is so thick that the only time that it is exposed to the elements is when it is braided (my scalp is so much lighter than me it is ridiculous). So I have to make extra efforts to keep it moisturized and clean. Tea tree oil is usually my solution.

tiffupretty

I completely agree with this. It's the tension of your hair follicles being pulled or stimulated in some form or fashion that makes your scalp inclined to itch more. Just like when you've been constantly walking for a long time...the blood circulation makes my thighs itch somthing fierce!!! :yep:

oooh good point...cuz my thighs get on fire when i walk alot or run...and im like i cant take it

Ediese

OT: OMG at the bolded. I went running with my new 'friend', and all of a sudden my legs started I T C H ing. I had to stop and start walking. I tried to explain to him, and he acted like I was losing my mind. lol I started scratching my skin so hard, and it was still itching. For some strange reason, it felt like the itching was coming from under my skin. This has happened to me before, but I thought if I warmed up then it'd be cool. Uh uh! That's a horrid feeling!:wallbash: