Honey/Lemon to lighten hair

FoxxyLocs

jprayze posted in another thread that she used honey to lighten her hair. I've read that some other posters have also used lemon juice.

If you've lightened your hair naturally, please tell is how you did it. How did you mix your ingredients? How long did it take to see results? How long did the color last? Can you control the shade that you get?

Thanks for answering!

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs

I really want to lighten my hair a few shades. I thought about getting it colored at Aveda, but I'm scared of damage. I'd love to do it naturally of I can. Hopefully someone will chime in with their results.

Sent from my HTC Evo

TheNDofUO

I lightened my my hair with henna and alma. I didnt want too much of a change so i only left it for one himour no heat.

The amla makes the henna brown.

FoxxyLocs

Henna just seems so messy and complicated. Honey sounds like it would be so simple, especially since I already add it to my DC sometimes.

Sent from my HTC Evo

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I used lemon juice when I was a teenager. It worked OK. Thing is, you have to have clean hair with NO product. I'd then sunbathe for a couple hours. It doesn't lift color immediately. Takes a few times. It would lift the color a shade or 2, but I didnt want to go too light anyway.

Any oils and stuff in your hair and the lemon can't penetrate into the shaft. Lemon is also drying, so you'll have to wash and DC again afterwards.

jprayze

This is what I do...I just use the regular honey from the store. Everytime I wash once I week, I try (skip one every once in a while) to prepoo with honey, a DC (using ORS conditioner) and maybe add some extra oil (avocado or trigger). I keep it on over night or at least 8 hrs. I use a lot of honey-- sorry I don't measure, but I've used 3/4 of bottle in about 2 months. I use a generous amount of conditioner too and put a baggie on it. The first time I used it, I saw results. My mom asked me if I dyed my hair!

FroFab

I've done it with lemon. Not the whole head but I used to just run the cut lemon along my strands starting from the hairline moving back. I only ever did the front (like where your hair would get naturally sun-kissed anyway). I only ever did it during the summer months and I would probably say if I wore a weave it would be a 2 in colored hair normally the lemoned streaks got to about 4-6. I didn't specifically sit out in the sun tanning but I went about my normal summery day (pool, beach, park, etc.)