How Do You Bun Your Stretch or Transition Hair?

Blue_Berry

Ladies who are stretching and transitioning how do you bun your hair?

I am having a hard time putting my hair in a bun. My hair shrink up into a big puff and my relax ends hang like string. I don't want to use any heat in my hair, because of the damage effects. I am not ready for a BC yet, but I want to try a bun as an protective style at the moment.

Last edited:

WyrdWay

you could try roller setting first or bantu knots to get that new growth straighter before you bun.

aileendq

What I do is after washing, I put in my leave-in, etc., oil my ends really well, and then wrap my hair in a microfiber towel until my hair is almost dry, then I bun.

The towel stretches out my hair as it dries so I can actually bun it.

Now if I could just figure out how keep it from frizzing on my crown!

Miss_C

When i bun it usually helps to have my hair wet. The microfiber towel works well too, but if I can't find one I just gel my edges with ic gel and brush and tie down with a scarf for about 10 min.

Alta Angel

I have been transitioning a little over 12 months and I use a faux bun as my protective style. I wash/condition/moisturize as normal and put my hair in 6/7 braids for the night. In the morning I re-moisturize, take down the braids and lightly brush my hair into a high ponytail. I use aloe vera gel on my edges and tie a scarf around my head for 15 minutes. I attach the faux bun last and I may put the scarf on again for 10 minutes. This has kept me going for the past 3 months. I now use a smaller bun from the one in my siggie, but you get the concept.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Bunning on slightly damp hair helps alot. Also making sure the hair is well detangled.

After I detangle in the shower, I put my hair in a ponytail to dry. This kind of pre-sets the hair as it dries. Cuts down on the volume.

When it's about 80% dry I apply a water based spray leave-in all over and EQP mango butter, to the NG only. The spray helps to soften and stretch the NG and the butter weighs it down enough so you can get it into a bun.

Then I comb through with a wide tooth comb and gather it into a bun. The butter gets distributed to the ends by combing of my hair which don't need very much.

Then I just put a lil more leave-in and/or butter on my edges and lightly brush with a soft brush.

stelladata

Hello :)

I am currently still stretching, and according to my ticker I am 6 months post relaxer. Buns are my main style these days.

After deep treating and detangling my hair I leave in a handful of conditioner in my hair, then wrap it up in my microfiber towel. After at least 30 minutes, sometimes more (at least until it's a bit damp and not dripping wet), I grab my denman brush, shoe lace and scrunchie, then make my usual side part. Using the denman brush, I brush the front, it never smoothes down or anything so I use my eco styler protein brown gel to smooth it down ( some people like to mix it with oils in their palms to prevent the hardness you get after it dries, but I don't mind) I apply the gel, I brush and gather my hair into a ponytail, using the shoe lace I tie my hair up, but not extremely tight because you will have a migraine later. Then I apply some oils to my ends and wrap them into a nice bun then secure with my scrunchie. And call it a day!.

At night, I take out the shoelace and scrunchie, spray the front area or where ever I put the brown gel with a bit of conditioner mixed with water, seal my ends with oils after then tie my silk scarf and head to bed, in the morning it's so much easier to do my bun again without worrying about repeating the whole process over again.