How did you overcome see through ends?

cmw45

Found out what was causing the breakage and then trimmed them. I guess I first thought that if I was natural I wouldn't have any issues with thin or thinning ends. But then I realized that naturals can suffer from just as many breakage issues as those that are chemically treated. While I think trimming them is important to the overal appearence of the hair I also think that you can't make real progress until you find out what is causing the thin ends. HHG

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Thanks for the help ladies, I truly appreciate it. I`m 90% sure that what is causing my see through ends is a combination of only dc`ing once a month and braiding. I`ll add a pic on monday to give you a better idea.

Last edited:

Nonie

Thanks for the help ladies, I truly appreciate it. I`m 90% sure that what is causing my see through ends is a combination of only dc`ing once a month and braiding. I`ll add a pic on monday to give you a better idea.

I got see-through ends from not dusting regularly. Simple wear and tear can cause thin ends, even when you're protective styling. Even the queen of protective styling, Wanakee, knew she had to trim regularly to keep her hair looking full and healthy:

VictoriousBrownFlower

I have very fine hair and pretty much all of my hair was see through not just my ends. My hair has thickened up substancially do to these things:

henna
trimming off damaged ends
cutting back on heat
protecting ends

dafnie

i'm still getting rid of them but i definitely have less than i did last year. seriously - trimming, texlaxing instead of relaxing and stretching. i don't want to cut off all of my hair and loose length (I'm SL) but yeah.... finding the issue, fixing it by taking care of my hair, and cutting does thin ends off.

sheedahp

I justn had to cut off about 2-3 inches of thin ends recently and I dont want to have to do it again. Ive been using split end menders and keeping them moisturized and Im no longer bone straight relaxing my hair so hopefully that will help. So far since the cut my ends are still in good condition.

cmw45

I have very fine hair and pretty much all of my hair was see through not just my ends. My hair has thickened up substancially do to these things:

henna
trimming off damaged ends
cutting back on heat
protecting ends

That is a GORGEOUS baby. GORGEOUS!

MarieB

I cut, quit rollersetting (I know rollersetting works great for lots of people, sadly I'm not one of them), and learned to take it easy on the heat.

@Nonie: thanks for the pics of Wanakee; I've never been to her site so I had no idea how beautiful she was.

LushLox

It's funny because I think rollersetting has only helped my hair, it allows my hair to remain smooth for days and subsequently I can retain moisture more. I find I no longer need to moisturise as much as I needed to previously.

My hair was ridiculously see through when I first started; now I've laid off the direct heat, incorporated regular steam DCs and protein treatments has really helped. You've got to start on a clean canvas though, a good trim or cut is a good move, and watch your progress from there!

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

*please don't mind my scoliosis and my back fat*

Here's a pic ladies, this is what it looks like:nono:.

MariposaSexyGirl

If you don't want to cut a lot at once, you can always just trim a little at a time. That's what I will be doing. I've learned thin ends sometime happen naturally. All hair doesn't grow at the same time. I remember cutting my hair back to bsl blunt and I didn't have any breakage but It grew unevenly.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I trimmed very gradually, a little at a time. No more than was necessary. I needed the length for protective styling and updo's, lol. Eventually it all worked all. Henna and Cassia aided me as well.

janeemat

I have the same problem. I am relaxed. I will definitely be trimming the end of the month when I do my relaxer. I'm so tempted right now to trim but since I am nine wks post, it's probablly not a good idea.

SingBrina

I cut and then use hair thickeners! Like Joico Hair Body Luxe and Ojon thickener both shampoo n conditioners

candita

I trimmed very gradually, a little at a time. No more than was necessary. I needed the length for protective styling and updo's, lol. Eventually it all worked all. Henna and Cassia aided me as well.

I should probably know this by now but what did the Henna do to help with the breakage/ends?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

This is EXACTLY what i do!

I didn't know it was a 'coined' term or method. I tried to describe it up post ^^^^.

Only cut what's necessary and let the rest of the hair gradually catch up. I don't do the JUST CUT IT type of trims. Not when i'm trying to reach a goal. :nono:

Thanks Lute for the heads up and thank you, too, Chicoro, for putting it so succinctly.

before you put a scissor to those ends.. please read this.... I got this Chicoro's fotki

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/length-based-trim/length-based.html

Just by looking at your hair... I don't think you need to trim yet. Unless those ends are really damaged.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Well, the henna and cassia both helped thicken my ends and kept them from breaking and or splitting up my hair shaft. My ends eventually became so thick, they blended with the rest of my hair whenever i wore straightened styles, so there was no need for a severe cut.

Joico Luxe, as mentioned earlier, is also a good hair thickener. It contains biotin. Jason's Biotin conditioner also yields very effective results.

I should probably know this by now but what did the Henna do to help with the breakage/ends?