Is it too hot to wear weaves and wigs in the summer?

lilsparkle825

Completely depends on you. Personally, I'm getting quality hair so that my daily cowashing doesn't affect my install.

LeftRightRepeat

It's too hot and humid for me. I'm in Atl.

one night i was ready to rip the weave from my head...but I'm hot headed like that ..:grin:

gabulldawg

It's too hot and humid for me. I'm in Atl.

one night i was ready to rip the weave from my head...but I'm hot headed like that ..:grin:

I'm in Atl, too. I'm surprised that I can handle the heat with my half wig. One thing that I do is alternate regularly between wearing my real hair and my half wig. :yep: Now I tried wearing a lace front and that was a bit too hot. :nono: It had a bang, too. :perplexed I will have to save that for the winter or something... :giggle:

JJamiah

for me the half wig is great, the full wig is HOTTTT! the lace front that is off my neck isn't too bad. I can't handle full wig with bang or long wig. :nono:

But the rest are okay. :D

YNOBE

I live in Miami, it is super hot and humid one min, then its windy and pouring down with rain the next. So it all depends on my mood and the weather, but I usually just wear braids or keep my hair up during the summer.

Kneechay

Girl, says who?? All weaves/wigs don't have to be long and hot. I live in Texas and weaves are my summer protective style.

Get yourself a bob weave like I do (or a wig)

it was cut from a longer weave that was like 10/12 inches halfway through the 3 months

Last edited:

AlliCat

I'm half-wigging it to BSL this summer. It can get hot under there but I can always take it off when I get home.

Maybe a little extra heat will help the growth spurt :scratchch:

lilsparkle825

ladylibra_30

I live in sweltering Miami and it's too hot for my real hair - short bob. When I look at women wearing wigs/weaves here I get hot LOL!

Kneechay

Ah, mixed responses here, thank you all for replying :yep:. I should have added a poll really; is there a way I can go back and do that? Otherwise nevermind.

I was thinking of getting a long thick straight style with a fringe (bangs), Nicki Minaj style:
http://blogs.bet.com/ontv/thedeal/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nickiminaj1.jpg
Would that be OK, or should I save it for the autumn (fall)?

i always tell folks to go for what they want WHEN they want. The only time I was ridiculously hot in weave when I was shopping in the outdoor markets in Nigeria. If you get it installed well, you can put it up on a bun or ponytail if you get hot. I guess i'm just used to folks even in hot Texas wearing long weaves all year and not having a problem.

pookaloo83

Ah, mixed responses here, thank you all for replying :yep:. I should have added a poll really; is there a way I can go back and do that? Otherwise nevermind.

I was thinking of getting a long thick straight style with a fringe (bangs), Nicki Minaj style:
http://blogs.bet.com/ontv/thedeal/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nickiminaj1.jpg
Would that be OK, or should I save it for the autumn (fall)?

I have a wig with a bang like that. My sis has a wig exactly like the one you posted. she just wore it to work. :lol: I personally like wigs like that for summer. Winter to me is really windy and I don't like my bangs flying all over the place. :ohwell:

chasturner84

Girl, says who?? All weaves/wigs don't have to be long and hot. I live in Texas and weaves are my summer protective style.

Get yourself a bob weave/wig like I do.

it was cut from a longer weave that was like 10/12 inches halfway through the 3 months

That bob is on point! I was looking for a bob to wear EXACTLY like that one. What type of hair did you begin with? Was it a sew in or a wig?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
As long as the hair is not in your face, I think its fine. I've had issues with the hair in the face thing with a weave. New at the hw thing, but primarily wear for work so there's a/c. Thinking about a bob lace front. Nichi that cut is HOTTTTT!!! Got me thinking about some hair I got sitting at home.

kandake

It depends on how you adapt to heat. For me, there were plenty of days I was so hot I wanted to rip that half wig off my head. So yes, on those days, it was too hot for a wig.

DaDragonPrincess

:yep:Yes and No...It depends:grin:.

Weaves are great protective styles, and I love protective styles in summer because when i'm going to the beach and trips, I want to enjoy myself without having to wake up styling my hair etc...

I remember this thick wet and wavy hair I had one time in summer, it use to make my neck sweat,lol:lachen:and it would get tangled and frizzy on the back because of the sweat:wallbash:

Day Dreamer

I had to take down my weave for this very reason. I was sweating like a pig'; inside the house, outside you name it i was sweating. The weave is gone and I am much cooler and much happier. I find that kinky twists work better for me in summer. They are very light and very cute.

chavascandy

I don't think that it is too hot. Just keep a banana clip to clip your hair up in those instants that the weather becomes to hot.

YNOBE

I live in sweltering Miami and it's too hot for my real hair - short bob. When I look at women wearing wigs/weaves here I get hot LOL!

M.I.A. in da house!... I am feeling you on that girlie, I just saw this lady with a long thick lace front and she asked me if I had a pony-tail holder so she could put it up (sweat was drippin down her face)! LOL:lachen:

Liberianmami26

for me hell yeah i was dying to take out my weave and yes i did wash my hair in weave but i had that bad boy on for graduation and it was 80 degrees of pure hell outside in a cap and gown neva again. suprisingly the wigs arent that bad for me and plus i like complete access to my scalp so no more weaves for me.
i wore full wigs last summer and they were hot but not as hot as i think my weave was

IrisDaVirus

If you're not a person prone who has a scalp that sweats real bad, then I say go for it. Heck I see some of the prettiest wigs and weaves in the summertime.