From Shaved in the nape to long?

sweetpeadst

Who has grown there hair out from Shaved in the nape to long since finding this site? If so what did you do to achieve this??

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I would like to know too because I am having the hardest time getting it growing.

SqrpioQutie

oohhh ooohhh... me me me... :grin: ... in my fotki, my first set of pictures (7/05) has a little more than shaved in the back pics and i'm currently pushin apl (i think).... in the beginning, i was definitely a surge addict but i think the consistent cowashing helped tremendously.... that and a good diet...

edited cuz i had to correct the pictures part

Last edited:

czyfaith77

sweetpeadst said:
Who has grown there hair out from Shaved in the nape to long since finding this site? If so what did you do to achieve this??

I have done this a couple of times from where I had the Halle cut and the early Toni Braxton cut. Also, in October 2003, due to damage and total frustration, I shaved it all off completely (i.e Jamie Fox low cut). I wore a quick weave for a little while. Then when I was able to get a good 2-3 inches I cornrowed and wore a sew in. I then transitioned to other styles like braids and whatever.

When I was growing out the Halle and Toni cuts I would just let it grow and then when it would get to be about an inch or two I would slick it up and a wear bun (bun cover or a knot which we used to do back in the day before bun covers. Actually, I had a precursor to the bun cover which required just a $1.00 pack of synthetic hair). Usually about five to six months later or from about October to about May or June my hair would be about 5-6 inches long (when I was growing out these cuts were before I found out about LHCF). Back then, I didn't know but I was just keeping it clean, using the Ampro Protein Gel and leaving it alone. It was always neat and well groomed and I often got compliments. It was also easy and I was glad to see the results in the Spring. I guess it is sort like what the ladies in one of the threads are doing (Hide your hair challenge). Back then it wasn't a challenge it was just what I did because I hated seeing the in between stages. HTH. Stay encouraged. It will happen.

I follow the same concept now with my sew ins. Everyone says why do you wear a sew in when you have a nice length hair or long hair. My thing is I have a goal in mind, it's not the length that I want right now (I am currently about two inches from bra strap- and it's hoovring and it's frustrating right now becasue I should have been there already. I promised not to trim this year) and sometimes on this journey I get frustrated so to keep me from cutting it I put it away. It helps me alot and I have a different frame of mind in a month or so than I initially had when I first considered cutting it or doing something drastic (and a couple inches or so of hair as well.) I have a love/hate thing going on with my hair at times. But I have learned to cope and adjust. :lol: It comes with the territory. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited:

neenzmj

I, too started out with the "Halle cut." I decided to transition while letting it grow out. Naturally, some of those in-between stages almost felt unbearable, but I think having the option to wear my hair curly helped me make it through.

Once I could get my hair into a "nub," I wore phony ponies a lot to break the monotony.

I think the absence of chemicals, moisturizing, less heat and better hair care in general got me to my current length (bra strap when straightened.)

asiaticlily

I, too am growing out a Toni/Halle cut. The in-between stage is terrible. I keep it hidden, otherwise I would cut it all off again :look: The top is growing much faster than the back. I guess patience is the key.

Softresses

My hair was cut in a Halle type cut and shaved in the back. I started growing it out about 6 months or so before finding this site. I did a chop of about 7" since then and when I trim I take off about an inch each time.

It can definately be done. But it takes patience and time.

HTH

Softresses

ToyToy

Me! Both relaxed and natural! I had short hair like Halle Berry, and I agree with the poster who said that the inbetween-stages are the worst. It doesn't seem like it's going anywhere!! My hair grew out within just over a year though.

Also, I BC-ed in February and only had less than half an inch left. It's at about chin-length now (stretched). I don't particularly do anything though. I'm too lazy. But I do have to say that relaxed or natural, I have always used as little heat as possible. Other than that, nothing special. Just be patient - you'll be surprised! ;)

Cayenne0622

sweetpeadst said:

Mine is only necklength right now but I did grow it out from a short Halle Berry cut. My current length is in the avatar. Here is my original short haired pic.

Attachments

• short cut.JPG
    short cut.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

sweetpeadst

The last time I cut my hair it took about a year!! I can't wait till the sides get long enough cause it will be in some braids as soon as I can get a grip!!