Is jheri curl and texturized hair the same?

sugawooga

Is jheri curl and texturized hair the same thing? If not then what is the difference?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
No. It is my understanding that Jheri curls were double-processed. Something was applied to the hair to smooth/straighten it, then the hair was rolled up on perm rods and something else was applied to it to get it to conform to the shape of the curler. I believe heat was applied at some point, but don't quote me on that. I never had one, so I'm just stating what I read or was told by others.

A texturizer is a relaxer, but it is left on for a shorter period of time and/or a milder strength is used.

skegeesmb

Nope it's not the same. CurlyCrly, is right, I don't know if they use heat or not either, but it is definately a double process.

kinikini2

I've missed LHCF!
Nope. The Jheri curl should only be applied on virgin hair in order to (greatly!) reduce the chance of damage.

AceH

<font color="blue"> No, you can't get a jheri curl if you have relaxed hair. You have to cut off all of the relaxed hair &amp; then do the jheri curl, I believe...

GodMadeMePretty

Having had a jheri curl in my lifetime - EONS ago - they are not the same as a texturizer. As curlycrl said, a texturizer is a relaxer with lye, no-lye, etc. normal relaxer. Put in the relaxer, wash it out a short time later.

With the jhericurl, relaxer is applied, washed out, rolled and then some other stuff is put in to lock in the curl - much like a caucasian hair perm. The second solution stinks.

If you have a perm, the jheri curl does not mesh well with it - jheri curls use a thio-based cream and putting jheri curl over a perm or vice versa is a no-no unless you're only doing the new growth which means a very short cut for either process if you're switching.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I didn't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask.. thanks everyone.. Do people still get them? I remember when people had them when I was in high school but everyone that had them..their hair always looked really greasy.. does it always look that way?

kinikini2

I've missed LHCF!
Nope. Not at all. I had a jheri curl or "Wave Nouveau/dry curl" during my junior year of college and my hair grew.. looking back now I think it was the constant moisture. But it doesnt have to look drippy or greasy. Use the right products at the right time - I would do extra moisturizing at night so that during the day I used just enough to hold the curls and nothing more to "drip". Mine looked like a texturizer -- I will have to post pics one day. I sometimes would get it carefully blown out straight too... I had to get rid of it because an inpatient stylist didn't neutralize correctly and my hair started breaking horribly. I wish I had known about LHCF back then

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I'd love to see pics some day.. Maybe I'll get one some day..if I ever decide to stop relaxing my hair..we'll see

Thanks for the info!

sugawooga

Thanks sooooo much for the information. I was considering getting my hair texturized and my husband posed this question to me. I didn't want my hair in a jheri curl but then I noticed how beautiful women look on LHCF with texturized hair. Now that I know that jheri curls and texturizing is not the same it is definitly on the top of my list on how I want my hair. No offense to any women out there who have jheri curls but I just don't want the wet look all the time.
I have one more question though. Do you have to retouch texturized hair? If so, how?