Sodium Hydroxide vs Guanidine hydroxide

ms_kenesha

Does anyone know the difference between these two relaxer formulations? Are they compatible with one another, if I got Sodium Hydroxide before can I get a Guanidine hydroxide relaxer as a touch-up?

Thanks in advance,

Kenesha

karly

Sodium Hydroxide is a Lye relaxer and Guanidine hydroxide is considered no lye. I have read that no lye relaxers have a lower ph and are supposed to be a less damaging chemical and causes less scalp irritation than a lye relaxer. But many say that no lye relaxers are more drying to the hair and tangles easier.

ms_kenesha

Thanks Karly, I never knew the scientific term for No Lye. Okay I'm sticking to my No- Lye relaxers. I asked because Affirm makes a relaxer with Guanidine hydroxide, but they don't list it as a no lye relaxer.

karly

You are very welcome. Yes, Affirms Sensitive scalp relaxer is a no lye (guanidine hydroxide). Which one do you have??

ms_kenesha

I get mine done at the salon and I've always assumed I was getting the lye one. I don't think I've ever gotten the Sensitive scalp relaxer. I want to know how come a lot of stylists don't tell you what the hell they're putting in your hair, it's your hair.

Friday I'm getting my hair done at this upscale salon in MD and for the price I better have the best touch-up I've ever had in my life

DDHair

That makes a lot of sense, about the no-lye having more ph and drying more, because natural hair seems to be really dry and has more protein. I used to get no-lye relaxers and I've heard that lye is pretty strong, so I see, the chemicals in lye are stronger, when I think lye I always think of the scene on Malcom X when he was about to be arrested and washed that lye off in the toilet, that lye was super strong, lol! Maybe I should have kept my post to myself, maybe I was too vague, but this is an interesting subject.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
DDHair said:
That makes a lot of sense, about the no-lye having more ph and drying more, because natural hair seems to be really dry and has more protein. I used to get no-lye relaxers and I've heard that lye is pretty strong, so I see, the chemicals in lye are stronger, when I think lye I always think of the scene on Malcom X when he was about to be arrested and washed that lye off in the toilet, that lye was super strong, lol! Maybe I should have kept my post to myself, maybe I was too vague, but this is an interesting subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in Malcom X's day the lye was much stronger because it was just lye and no buffering or conditioning agents like now.