Teflon Tape and Flat Irons????

crr0121

I see teflon tape mentioned vaguely in a few posts but I can't seem 2 find any direct answers. I see it mostly used during BKT's but can it be used other times than that? Just for regular straightening? What are the benefits of teflon tape vs. ceramic or other plates by themselves? Is it really sticky like duct tape/does it mess up the actual flat iron plates when it is pulled off? Is it for heat protection or smoother results? Does it do any damage to hair? do you replace the tape every time you flat iron or leave it up there? Do many ppl even use it?

A lot of questions but I can't find a good sum of info on it, even on google. Ppl say they use it but don't say why. Any info would be great. Thanks!!

sheba1

Until DSD stops in, this is the thread that features it's use and answers many questions about it, including the link for where to buy it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=398860&highlight=teflon+tape

Answers that I remember from the thread: DSD bought it from Marcia Teixiera's (sp?) site and it is called BKT magic tape but DSD leaves it on her FHI Runway all the time. It is sticky, it would leave glue behind on the iron but DSD mentioned a product that can be used to remove the residue for removing. She also mentioned that it provides better heat distribution and smoother results and should be replaced every 6 months. Although, she is a stylist and I would bet that she uses her iron a lot more often in 6 months than I would use mine, so I was considering replacing mine once a year.

ETA: as to benefit over ceramic... well there really is none. Because DSD uses hers over her solid ceramic iron I got the notion that results were best received with a quality ceramic iron, not in place of one.

Last edited:

crr0121

Until DSD stops in, this is the thread that features it's use and answers many questions about it, including the link for where to buy it.

Answers that I remember from the thread: DSD bought it from Marcia Teixiera's (sp?) site and it is called BKT magic tape but DSD leaves it on her FHI Runway all the time. It is sticky, it would leave glue behind on the iron but DSD mentioned a product that can be used to remove the residue for removing. She also mentioned that it provides better heat distribution and smoother results and should be replaced every 6 months. Although, she is a stylist and I would bet that she uses her iron a lot more often in 6 months than I would use mine, so I was considering replacing mine once a year.

ETA: as to benefit over ceramic... well there really is none. Because DSD uses hers over her solid ceramic iron I got the notion that results were best received with a quality ceramic iron, not in place of one.

THANKS!!! Very helpful info. answered all my questions. I think I'll try it on my old ceramic flat iron so I wont get 2 mad about the residue. I just wanted 2 know if there were added benefits and if it's worth the investment.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

thanks a million. I could not have said it better. when I took off my last set of teflon tape it came off really easy, not much residue at all.

me-T

i had a remington flat iron that had teflon already covering the plates. got it from walmart, it was pretty good.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you for bumping this @Chicoro. Your latest posts in our Luscious Ends thread had me intrigued. I gained intrigue and a little more trust in the method when I read that DSD also used this tape :).
Absolutely ! That’s why I come on LHCF and search to see if whatever it is has been mentioned or referenced on here. Usually, 99.99% of the time it has!

The tape can be bought cheaply at at the hardware/fix your house yourself stores. By the way, what do you all call the shops like Home Depot, in England? In France, they call the shops ‘bricolage’. In the US, we call them hardware stores.

So, are you going to try it? I am going to try it. Every time I straighten my hair, there is always a trace of that ‘burned hair smell’. My understanding is that the Teflon tape minimizes it, and may possibly completely eliminate that odor. I’m excited!

Girl, I’m planning way in advance. I will probably straighten and trim my hair in August/September. But I like having my stuff ready and waiting.

GGsKin

Absolutely ! That’s why I come on LHCF and search to see if whatever it is has been mentioned or referenced on here. Usually, 99.99% of the time it has!

The tape can be bought cheaply at at the hardware/fix your house yourself stores. By the way, what do you all call the shops like Home Depot, in England? In France, they call the shops ‘bricolage’. In the US, we call them hardware stores.

So, are you going to try it? I am going to try it. Every time I straighten my hair, there is always a trace of that ‘burned hair smell’. My understanding is that the Teflon tape minimizes it, and may possibly completely eliminate that odor. I’m excited!

Girl, I’m planning way in advance. I will probably straighten and trim my hair in August/September. But I like having my stuff ready and waiting.
@Chicoro I love your enthusiasm. I'd never heard of this before. I think I will try it at some point. I have a few expenses this year that will take some discipline. One of my concerns was the appearance and affected performance of my flatiron. I prefer to press my hair when I straighten, but I do use my iron more often on others. The pros seem to outweigh the cons.

Over here, we call them DIY shops or Hardware stores too.

Chicoro

@Chicoro I love your enthusiasm. I'd never heard of this before. I think I will try it at some point. I have a few expenses this year that will take some discipline. One of my concerns was the appearance and affected performance of my flatiron. I prefer to press my hair when I straighten, but I do use my iron more often on others. The pros seem to outweigh the cons.

Over here, we call them DIY shops or Hardware stores too.
When you say you prefer to press your hair, do you mean you use a pressing comb? And if you use a pressing comb, is it the electric, plugin kind? Or, are you hard-core, old -school like me and use the irons you put in stove/ or on the stove?

I am considering a weekend trip to Paris in May and check out the hot combs. I want a really heavy one. Or, I might just wait until I go to the States this summer and buy one then. I'm writing my list and checking it twice, like Santa.

I'm thinking, "Hmmmm...Can I put Teflon tape on the back of my pressing comb, too?" Afterall, I do use the back part, opposite the teeth of the comb, to smooth and straighten the hair as I press. Now, that's an idea there!

Uh, oh, that Teflon's got me thinking!

Last edited:

GGsKin

When you say you prefer to press your hair, do you mean you use a pressing comb? And if you use a pressing comb, is it the electric, plugin kind? Or, are you hard-core, old -school like me and use the irons you put in stove/ or on the stove?

I am considering a weekend trip to Paris in May and check out the hot combs. I want a really heavy one. Or, I might just wait until I go to the States this summer and buy one then. I'm writing my list and checking it twice, like Santa.

I'm thinking, "Hmmmm...Can I put Teflon tape on the back of my pressing comb, too?" Afterall, I do use the back part, opposite the teeth of the comb, to smooth and straighten the hair as I press. Now, that's an idea there!

Uh, oh, that Teflon's got me thinking!
Like you, I'm old school. Stove combs only lol. I have a double press comb- the teeth 'ridges' extend through the back part of the comb. I prefer my solid back comb though. I use a little oven for some marcel irons I have, since I only have an electric cooker. I missed real flames so much when I first moved.

Your wonderful brain is working lol. It's an interesting concept, to just wrap the back/ spine of the comb. That is the part that does the heavy lifting afterall.

Chicoro

Like you, I'm old school. Stove combs only lol. I have a double press comb- the teeth 'ridges' extend through the back part of the comb. I prefer my solid back comb though. I use a little oven for some marcel irons I have, since I only have an electric cooker. I missed real flames so much when I first moved.

Your wonderful brain is working lol. It's an interesting concept, to just wrap the back/ spine of the comb. That is the part that does the heavy lifting afterall.
I KNEW we were Kindred Spirits!