Texlax-How long do you leave in relaxer?

warenas1978

I'm natural and plan to texlax soon. Could you post how long you leave in your relaxer and what brand you use? I really appreciate the info. Thanks!

I would also like to know if you mix it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mz.Shug

When I did a year ago I used Mizani. Do a strand test first to determine how long you should leave it in.Be sure to time it, how many times did you smooth it,and the curl pattern. HTH.

brucebettye

When I texlax I leave it in for about 20 minutes. I use the regular strength because my hair is thick and it works for me. But like Mz Shug says try a strand test. But your hair looks great to me in your avator.

Optimus_Prime

Depends on how you plan to do it.
Do you want to mix something into the relaxer, coat your hair in something, or just apply regular relaxer for a short time?

warenas1978

Optimus Prime, to be honest, I'm really not sure. I guess I'm in the planning process now. LOL. I read somewhere about putting olive oil on your hair, and that sounded good. Other than that I really don't know. I don't even know how relaxed I want to be yet. So I'll just read posts and look at pictures and go from there.

Thanks a lot to everybody that has responded so far.

Heavenly

I mix half a cup of olive oil with my relaxer.

I coat my hair in olive oil too.

Then I quickly apply relaxer to new growth - 3 mins for whole head.

Smooth quickly for about 5 mins.

Rinse.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I use Mizani mild, apply it within 5 mins, smooth it out once very very quickly in large sections then rinse. I don't let it sit and my strands are heavily coated with oil. Adding olive oil to the relaxer sounds like a really good idea. Thx Heavenly!

Diam0ndiva

section hair.. edges, top and the back (middle) portion about the "hook" of your head. below the hook i consider to be apart od edges.. strand test each section. the back (middle) takes the longest.. then the top then the edges.. check how loose your curl is by taking a few strands together and slightly pull up and see how loose it is after you release hair .. watch it.. if u want it straighter then just keep checking using that method..

remember timing.. the first area u applied the relaxer is processing while ur still applying to the other sections so be quick.. hope that helped...

also research the best relaxer for the job.. dont just pick one and run

longhairlover

I don't texlax/underprocess but on the relaxer instructions it will tell you the regular processing time for your hair type, so if for example regular hair (regular relaxer) and perm (straight no wave pattern left) the time is 15-20 mins, you would do half that time, so instead of 15 do 7ish, or 10 depending on how thick your hair is,

BUT this means you have to move quick applying the relaxer in only 7-10 minutes and rinsing since you wouldn't be smoothing for straightness I guess except your nape and edges.

but for every relaxer they give different times so whatever the time listed is cut that in half

Or to keep it simple use a mild relaxer or a kids relaxer.

hth

Last edited:

mzsophisticated26

I noticed that each relaxer works different on my fine hair. When my stylist used MBB sensitive scalp I can only stand about 12mins of app no smoothing time because it would burn like heck or leave it bone straight. I just used Alter Ego Linange shea butter lye last week and the total app time was 20 mins and I smoothed it some. My hair still was underprocessed and texlaxed perfect I still have some waves at the roots. I did not not add anything to the relaxer.

JMH1908

Thanks to Heavenly and Longhairlover, they just described exactly how I texlax my hair. I coat my hair with either olive oil or an essential oil product and add 1-2 tablespoons of it in my Gentle Treatment-Regular No-lye relaxer. The instructions say about 15-20 min, but I leave it on half the time (about 7-9 min.) and deep condition afterwards. Since I've been texlaxing for a while now, I only touch up my new growth of course. I'm still able to define my curls for my wash n go or wear it straight. I find it more manageable and healthy for my hair and I have the best of both worlds..love it! :grin:

Last edited:

vkb247

I mix my relaxer with conditioner - any will do but its great if they have hydrolyzed protein/silk amino acids are great ingredients V05 Silky Experiences is a good one - about 1/3 conditioner to 2/3 relaxer.

The relaxer really matters. I started using Motions Herbal because I had read several reviews that it underprocesses and reverts. I have resistant hair though so I used Super for awhile. But now I use ORS Lye in Regular with the same mix. I find that oil slows down the relaxer too much for my hair. I only use lye relaxers because they are more moisturizing for me, don't straighten as well, and the conditioner makes it much gentler and gives you more time to make sure you process properly without feeling rushed. I also feel like mixing your relaxer or using olive or coconut oil on your hair before relaxing helps hair retain a lot of the strength and elasticity that is often lost when relaxing.

If you have ever relaxed before than I would recommend trying that relaxer first in either a milder strength or mixed with conditioner/oil. It really helps if you know how your hair behaves with chemicals so you have an idea of how your hair will react. I would highy recommend a strand test first.

I texlax for about 12 minutes including application.

BTW: Your hair is bananas. Please post more pics!

la mosca

I noticed that each relaxer works different on my fine hair. When my stylist used MBB sensitive scalp I can only stand about 12mins of app no smoothing time because it would burn like heck or leave it bone straight. I just used Alter Ego Linange shea butter lye last week and the total app time was 20 mins and I smoothed it some. My hair still was underprocessed and texlaxed perfect I still have some waves at the roots. I did not not add anything to the relaxer.

I've noticed that Linange shea butter lye takes longer than the instructions indicate to process my hair. (And I'm aiming for a fully-relaxed result.) Interesting--I guess it must be kind of mild.

Kellum

I use Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp No Lye in Normal strength. I usually can get mine applied and smooth in about 15 minutes unless I have a stretched for a really long time then I need at least 18 mins total.

ETA: I do the half and half method. That's the only way I can do it without going over time and over processing my hair.

aquajoyice

I add Olive oil and protein to my relaxer. I base my previously relaxed hair and edges with vaseline to prevent over processing. Then I section my hair into about 8 sections. I start with the back half and apply only leaving it in for 8 min total that's application and a little smoothing. Then rinse the bottom half and shampoo with neutralizer. I cover the top portion of my hair with a plastic cap and secure with pins to make sure that section doesn't get wet. Then I apply to the top half and cover the bottom with a plastic cap while I rinse the relaxer from the top half. I then shampoo entire head with neutralizer shampoo again to make sure I got it all out. I know it sounds like a long process but I'm done in no time at all. And my entire head has processed for exactly 8 min.

Jade Feria

I use SE Mild Relaxer and mix olive oil into it. I'm still working on shortening my relaxer time so I added a generous portion of oil. My last texlax application, including smoothing time, took about 20 minutes. My hair came out with plenty of texture - still curly/wavy, but straightens easily.

Try this thread, it really helped me: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131009