Not Rinsing Out Conditioner

Ipanema

Well, after realizing that I had put after-shampoo conditioner in my hair instead of the leave-in (even though it says it can be used as a setting lotion), I am wondering if it will eventually cause damage not to rinse. After two days without adding any additional products--just dabbing it with water, my hair still feels moisturized & soft (I'm guessing it's the humectants in the product). Actually, nothing has made my hair feel this soft before (not even Sta Sof Fro), and I normally have a problem with crispy, dry-feeling hair. What do you all think?

soulchild

I don't have a problem doing this. I say you should keep doing it unless you notice any problems.

Allandra

I use rinse out conditioners as leave-in conditioners quite a bit. This has not harmed my hair in any way. Like soulchild mentioned above, unless you notice any problems, keep on doing it.

inthepink

Yeah, it seems a lot of LHCF members use rinse-out conditioners as leave-ins. I'm curious myself and need to do some research. Allandra, how long have you been doing this?

B

ballet_bun

Allandra ...which rinseout conditioners do you use as leave-ins? What do you mix them with, or do you apply them as they are?

Ballet Bun ...

inthepink

Also, to those who use any conditioner as a leave-in, does your hair still shine or is it dull from the residue?? I think that's my real concern.

Allandra

I don't mix them with anything. Click on my name and check out my web site for my list of conditioners.

miss_brown

I do this often, especially during the summer when I wear my hair curly/kinky. I've never had a problem with this, and find that it works better than most creme moisturizers I've used when I follow up the regular conditioner with a good oil.

On the flip side, though, my friend's stylist cautions against doing this because she says that it dries the scalp. I've never had this problem, so
I'll continue using conditioners this way until I do. As long as your hair feels fine, you should be okay.

L

ladybug

i just stared doing this and i actually like the way it makes my hair feel throughout the day...at first i did it for about a week to see if my hair liked it or not..but after that first initial week..i have been continuing this regime..i mix my conditioners with water so my hair is not weighed down so much then spray my enitre semi-damp hair and style...i am transitioning so it works well for me..dont know how it will work for the relaxed ladies...but it makes my hair stay soft all day..and it air dires with a soft wave pattern...lessens the kink that normal air dy would cause my hair...